LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

mpd hood questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mpd hood questions

ok so im looking for some info from anyone that has a mpd ram air hood. i want to know how it drains the water. in the pic it looks like it should dump water right on the pcm in the airbox. im looking to make my own ram air hood and any measurements,pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Alex

i see that theres a hole near the opening but i cant believe that thats where all the water drains.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

That is the only drain hole. But I have had no problems with water getting in there.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

I'd love that hood, it's just so expensive...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

im goin to do it for way cheaper then what they charge. that and im not all that crazy about there scoop maybe if it didnt come to a point in the middle. but it does look nice on a black car.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChefChub
That is the only drain hole. But I have had no problems with water getting in there.
so if water went in through the hood it would all drain through that little hole or do you still some get water in the air box?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

How are you planning on doing it?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was worried about that too, and that little hole does great to be honest. When it rains really really hard some of that water does sometime make it. For extra safety precaution i just got a peice of cardboard covered it in foil and placed if over the opening of the aluminum box, i got it from them too. With this quick fix solution, every time i take it off theres little to no water on it, better safe then sorry. What kind of pictures or measurements are you looking for? Id be happy to help.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

im goin to scoop the hood and make a functional ram air, but first i gotta find another hood at a junkyard or on ebay. once i start working on it ill start a thread and post pics. i just wanted to know how they drained water out of it. i was worried about the pcm sitting there exposed.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I'd love that hood, it's just so expensive...
Yea felt the same way, shipping and painting it are another cost over it.
IF any of you guys do buy it, save your self about $50-80
by picking it up from the place in your town where it going to be delivered to your house from. Just make sure you take your or your buddies truck.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
im goin to scoop the hood and make a functional ram air, but first i gotta find another hood at a junkyard or on ebay. once i start working on it ill start a thread and post pics. i just wanted to know how they drained water out of it. i was worried about the pcm sitting there exposed.
I got another hood laying around, just has a dent in it from a rock hitting it. PM me...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vectus
I was worried about that too, and that little hole does great to be honest. When it rains really really hard some of that water does sometime make it. For extra safety precaution i just got a peice of cardboard covered it in foil and placed if over the opening of the aluminum box, i got it from them too. With this quick fix solution, every time i take it off theres little to no water on it, better safe then sorry. What kind of pictures or measurements are you looking for? Id be happy to help.
thanks for the help. maybe a closer pic of the duct they have. and a measurement of how deep it is. from the outside of the duct to the hood itself. and how tight of a seal is that thing? like does it actually produce a vacuum? thanks again.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

I think I'd be perfectly happy with a nice cowl with heat extraction. I know the headers will help out some and I've got the weather stripping removed...I need HPTuners lol
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the help. maybe a closer pic of the duct they have. and a measurement of how deep it is. from the outside of the duct to the hood itself. and how tight of a seal is that thing? like does it actually produce a vacuum? thanks again.
Sure thing, there is a grill going in though. Sooo no measurements there. I'll take pictures tomorrow. and yea it does vacuum, it actually makes a suction noise. I'll try and make a vid of it if and post if it makes enough noise to hear over the exhaust.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool. i meant measure it from the outside of the duct. i figured it would vacuum pretty good. my buddy had a 73 camaro and we scooped it and if you put a tissue at the scoop opening and punched the throttle it would suck it right in.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool. i meant measure it from the outside of the duct. i figured it would vacuum pretty good. my buddy had a 73 camaro and we scooped it and if you put a tissue at the scoop opening and punched the throttle it would suck it right in.
HAHA riiiight.... i knew that... i'll try that.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol^^^ your in tx i think the shipping would probably crazy on your hood. im going to try combing the local yards first. found a couple new online for 106 but shippings 108 ridiculous!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

This could get interesting...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol^^^ your in tx i think the shipping would probably crazy on your hood. im going to try combing the local yards first. found a couple new online for 106 but shippings 108 ridiculous!
You know, location is something i fail to look at.... A LOT. My bad your right it would be pretty pricey. But is that directly to your place, cause if soo, thats honestly not too bad.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
This could get interesting...
If Monteman figures a cheap way to do it, and will to do it for everyone maybe everyone will have one soon haha.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vectus
If Monteman figures a cheap way to do it, and will to do it for everyone maybe everyone will have one soon haha.
I'd be happy to pay him for his time...