LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Scorpion 1.8 LS1 rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scorpion 1.8 LS1 rockers?

Anyone use these? Worth it? Gains? I have a ported tb and intake with a catless 3 in dp.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

I've got them. Haven't put them on yet. But you will need stiffer springs. I went with ls6 springs they are cost effective and work fine. I picked the springs and rockers up for just under $400 new.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_7-rocker-2.html
Old 06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those kind of gains have me considering rockers/springs. Even though I WAS done modding for power gains lol
Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Those kind of gains have me considering rockers/springs. Even though I WAS done modding for power gains lol
The article doesn't mention, but I'm lead to believe that those gains are UNTUNED!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

realistically you will gain like 5hp from springs and rockers. I would do dual springs on the car, i had comp springs and they were horrible.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't 1.8 too much for our push rods.... I think i remeber reading that you could go to 1.7 with stock push rods, but once you went to 1.8's you needed to upgrade your pushrods along with your springs.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

so some 1.8rr's alone will add roughly 18whp?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
realistically you will gain like 5hp from springs and rockers. I would do dual springs on the car, i had comp springs and they were horrible.
Wrong. you will gain power with the Crane Gold race rockers. They use the quick lift technology.
More info on
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...rms/index.html

1.8 Gold race rockers tested on a LS6 ZO6 vette with dyno and 1/4 mile info
http://www.tomhenryracing.com/parts/features/quicklift/

And Harland Sharp rocker install
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...tall-pics.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...y-hauls-3.html
BADDLS1SS Quote
IMHO rockers and springs are not a major mod as they probably only added 15 hp or so... I gained 3 mph from them. However i do like the fact that i have good springs and i religiously spin the thing to 6500 and it keeps pulling and the 2nd gear bog is gone.

Install thread with pics
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...tall-pics.html

I'm not bagging on you bud I know your car very well and have read all of your posts.
But.. rememeber this thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...project-7.html
Ls6 cam made no difference in power over DOD cam with rockers.

Crane rockers would be worth the most Tq/Hp but regular 1.8'should give 10-15. The crane rockers have the affect of changing the cams profile. Most cams open and close the valves slowly. This is why duration at .050" is so important when comparing cams with advertised duration. The higher the duration at .050" the more aggressive the cam/ramps.
Most aftermarket cams are pretty aggressive so the the quick lift rockers would probably do more harm then good.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 06-06-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Panther427
Isn't 1.8 too much for our push rods.... I think i remeber reading that you could go to 1.7 with stock push rods, but once you went to 1.8's you needed to upgrade your pushrods along with your springs.
I am pretty sure 1.8s are just fine
Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1.7 is stock, so not even an issue. I've run 1.8s for two years now with no problems, but then I did upgrade the springs and pushrods at the same time.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I'm not bagging on you bud I know your car very well and have read all of your posts.
But.. rememeber this thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...project-7.html
Ls6 cam made no difference in power over DOD cam with rockers.
lets be sure to make a proper comparison, the LS6 cam made no difference on HIS setup. The LS6 cam is designed to give more power above 4000rpm vs an LS1 cam. Granted we're talking about an LS4 cam here which is even small than the LS1 cam. At the time his car had the LS4 intake so all his gains probably went out the window. For a car with an LS4 intake the rockers are probably your best bet.

As a side note, an LS1 with a stock cam usually only gains 10 whp with some rockers but 25 whp with an LS6 cam.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDMC5
lets be sure to make a proper comparison, the LS6 cam made no difference on HIS setup. The LS6 cam is designed to give more power above 4000rpm vs an LS1 cam. Granted we're talking about an LS4 cam here which is even small than the LS1 cam. At the time his car had the LS4 intake so all his gains probably went out the window. For a car with an LS4 intake the rockers are probably your best bet.

As a side note, an LS1 with a stock cam usually only gains 10 whp with some rockers but 25 whp with an LS6 cam.
How do you know that the LS4 cam is smaller then the LS1 cam (which yr?)
No body really has any hard core facts on the LS4 cam other then lift. I believe it is quite beefy, but this is just my opinion. Our cam is just handicapped with crappy exhaust and intake/intake ducting. I am a firm believer that the camshaft should be the last modification to a engine since its the heart.
Why, would I rev the hell out of a small bore, long stroke, crappy geared trans with a bigger cam. Agreed it's all about the right combination of parts. Also, It is pretty obvious that the intake is the biggest restriction on this motor. Many have done cam swaps and have gone as far as swapping heads only to put down 260-280hp at the wheels. I'm probably sitting around 280 myself and should be able to put down 300 after my LS1 intake swap. I am not against cam swaps and I am not bagging on anyone who has done it. My hat is off to you guys. The LS6 cam makes power yes, it's its just not worth the hassle compared to rockers Intake swap first and then cam. .
Also, I know that every dyno reads different and that we race cars and not dynos.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 06-06-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

well lets just say a friend works at the proving grounds....

I'm not quite sure where you were going with your arguement. I know the cam swap is a hassle 1st hand. In a couple days if we can get a video up I think there will be more people will be doing cam swaps.

Why, would I rev the hell out of a small bore, long stroke, crappy geared trans with a bigger cam. Agreed it's all about the right combination of parts. Also, It is pretty obvious that the intake is the biggest restriction on this motor.
You could rev the hell out of it because it will make power. Also, please don't say it's pretty obvious the intake is the biggest restriction..........I remember just a few months ago I was crucified for saying just that, now it's widely accepted as fact.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDMC5
well lets just say a friend works at the proving grounds....

I'm not quite sure where you were going with your arguement. I know the cam swap is a hassle 1st hand. In a couple days if we can get a video up I think there will be more people will be doing cam swaps.

You could rev the hell out of it because it will make power. Also, please don't say it's pretty obvious the intake is the biggest restriction..........I remember just a few months ago I was crucified for saying just that, now it's widely accepted as fact.
I remember the Intake crucifiction, and this was when we were defending the
LS1 intake. The LS4 is a pile of junk and is like having a 4bbl carb on a 2bbl intake.
Any how, I'm not trying to argue or anything so sorry for coming across that way.
If you have the stock cam specs then please share this info with us. Also I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys gained.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh no it's cool man, I didn't mean anything by that I just wasn't sure what you were getting at, were good. I don't know the specs off the top of my head but my friend does. Hell, if I wanted to I could just throw one on the CMM at work and measure it. I know he won't give them out exactly but I'm sure he'll give you a good idea and I think he even said at one point on a past thread.

BTW, that cam swap is done and he says the car is an animal, I'm stopping by some time this week to check it out. All that's left is tuning. I guess he has the whistle is well.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

I know we are off topic now, but dam... I am dying to know the specs! Is this
nmp0098's car?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, it is. We'll try to make a vid of it soon.

Quick Reply: Scorpion 1.8 LS1 rockers?