LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

uh oh...3 days into the honeymoon....tranny slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh oh...3 days into the honeymoon....tranny slippage?

In one of my late night forays I recall reading about the tranny slipping a bit when leaving a stoplight. Well, it happened to me today....almost like a clutch not engaging. I wasn't leaving hard, but the R's came up slighly and then it "thunked" into gear.

The car was a bit cold yet (tranny temp was at 109). Its the first time I have noticed anything odd so I am hoping its just a cold issue.

Going to search out that thread later but in the meantime should I be making an appt with my dealer sooner rather than later? I just got the car Saturday, and it has 28k/14 mos left of the factory warranty, and no mods from what I can tell.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck getting the stealership to replicate the problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GXP25
Good luck getting the stealership to replicate the problem.
Sadly, this.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seals are going. Our second one did this, usually when not-quite-warmed-up. Rebuild or replacement time.

Sucks.

Added you to the list.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

I had the exact same problem. Drive it for a few days so you know how to make the slip happen and then take one of the mechanics for a ride.

Dealership had my car for a few days driving it around but they couldn't get it to do it, I went in and took one of the mechanics for a ride and got it to slip 4 or 5 times with the mechanic in the car.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Battle_Ravage
Sadly, this.
That's probably the single hardest thing to get the dealership to recognize. That and my NAV fan making a noise on cold mornings (yes, they exist here but are very rare).

Every time it happened, I was never in a position to take it in. The dealership didn't want to do anything even though I showed them the TSB.

Then one day it did it and it was rush hour. I was just so sick of it randomly occurring so I did everything I could to get it into the dealership. I pulled up, left the car running, and asked the service advisor to get a tech to ride with me around the lot.

It was taken care of after that.

I must stress that if I were you, I would take it in with concerns. I say this because if anything, it's documented. That documentation could help you out later on when you're out of warranty and the transmission fails.

Or, you could purchase an extended warranty for ~$1,000; they're worth it.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does this as well from time to time and its finally getting worse and worse after 2 or 3 thousand miles. Mine is going in on Friday to be looked at. Mine also shudders from 1st to 2nd and clunks from 2nd to 1st on downshift (even not using tapshift) so hoping all of this together they will see the tranny is crapping out.

Here is to hoping they find the problem in both of ours so I can finally get it replaced. First thing I am doing is shift kit and tranny cooler once I get it back to hopefully help it last a bit longer the second go around.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 PM

OK thanks guys, I will be all over it tomorrow.

I've only had the car since Saturday and I have put over 200 miles on it, mostly city driving, lots of stop and go, and this is the first time I have noticed it. Although it has been slippery out so it could have happened before and I just thought it was ice. I think there was a time or 2 that I thought it was odd the TC light didn't come on because the car was not responding to the go pedal. But this was the first time I heard it thunk, and the roads were bone dry.

Luckily a cousin works at a dealer, in fact it was a Pontiac dealer that is now Buick. I have bought several cars there so he usually is really good about getting things taken care of for me. I will be giving him a call tomorrow and discussing the issue with him. I'd like to get it looked at in the next day or so because temps are supposed to be in the teens/single digits until Friday, so maybe I have a better chance of replicating it in colder environments.

Still love the car.....for now
Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Launching!

what sucks for me is that the one time this happened to me, it wouldnt quit all the way down the road to the dealership, because i went right then and there ... and stopped about a mile from the place ... they couldnt get it to happen again, and i havent had it happen since getting it back, but ive been letting the car warm up alot more before driving and making sure its full in gear and clunked foward before taking off in D ...

i really hope that if it dies, it does so in the next few months before the warranty is up, because if it dies after the warranty, im going to go postal on chevy ...

anyway to get it to die quicker, like dump some fluid, do burnouts while cold ??

kidding btw, if anything ill just trade her in if out of warranty she starts to die