LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission Noise Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission Noise Help

I took my GXP to the dealer last Friday and they replaced the tcc solenoid. My car is still having the same issues so I took it back last night and drove around with a technician. Of course, the car wouldn't shudder like it had been(has something to do with the new solenoid because when I barely brush the gas pedal, the rpms jump up over 2,200 and the shudder occurs around 1,800. I was able to get the car to make the noise and the tech said he thinks it is the starter pinion. It only does it if I hold the throttle steady around 1,700-2,200rpm and mostly up hill. And it happens when the car shifts, so his little pinion theory is bogus. The noise is like a grinding or crunching or metal smacking metal like if you were to bottom out on a speed bump(that type of noise). Sometimes it is very short sometimes it lasts 2-3 seconds. Sometimes it's very soft, others it is quite loud. Doesn't do it all the time. Any ideas what this might be? so I can go back and help the techs do their jobs.

There are 2 TSBs for this car stating tcc shudder and noise when tcc is applied. Does anyone know what type of noise this refers to? Could this be it?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the TCC is wasted. They're probably going to need to put a converter in it.

Problem is, if the TCC is bad, then you have its remains flowing through, and tearing up your trans.

I'm very sorry you have such an uncooperative dealer. It really may be in your interest to find another one, even if you have to drive some distance. It is very likely you'll be treated differently
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Thanks Mike! This is the 2nd dealer I'm working with. It was at the first one 3 times and this is twice with the second one. I'm really starting to get fed up with crap. And the GM rep. who is suppose to be helping me isn't much help at all. I tried telling both dealers it is the tcc and the whole trans. needs to be replaced but they don't want to believe it. I think it's because my factory warranty runs out on March 22nd and they are delaying it so they don't have to pay for it.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

What LS1 said... It is a TC problem. ALOT of guys have had the same problem, myself included. You need a new TC and if all metal went through the trans. you will need a refresh on that too. I would pressure the dealer. If it was me I would not be nice after 5 times of trying to get it fixed.

-Mike
Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Teching In

i already flipped out on the 1st dealer and the gm rep. It wasn't a pretty scene. Can anyone else confirm the noise i'm m getting?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine made the same noise for 6 months,before it took a dump.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Mine made the same noise for 6 months,before it took a dump.
Is the new one installed yet?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Is the new one installed yet?
Don't have it yet
But I got new kicks for her Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR(stock size)
Brake motive drilled/slotted w/pad front and rear
DDM Tuning HID 8K low & fogs

Maybe some Harland Sharp SLS18 aluminum roller rockers or intake swap.

And waiting on the trans.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Teching In

went to the dealer again yesterday. Took a test drive with the tech. again. It made the crunching sound at least 8 times in the 4 mile trip. It slammed hard into gear once and was shuddering pretty badly the whole time. He said he thinks the noise is from the timing chain for the active fuel management. He didn't really comment on the shudder or the banging into gear. Just said he's not sure what to do because he's not certain it is the trans. They still have the car and said they will let me know. And the GM rep. won't return my calls.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Where do you hear the noise comming from?

I keep hearing this crunch/metal/bang metal creaking cracking noise at low speeds from my car. But it sounds like it is coming from the rear end not the front.

My brake pads might be falling apart in the rear, and i really think it might be part of my noise issue.

However, my car now shakes at all speeds doesnt really madder how fast or hard you drive it. Right now I'm to the point where I'm going to purposly break the bitch.

I drive everywhere in TAP shift mode. lol. I down shift as soon as I can at any speed it will let me. Ive also had my dealer look at the car 4 times and "they" get the cannot duplicate issue.

It gets stressful and annoying when they think people just randomly keep bitching about there car and they think we are crazy.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Teching In

My noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, in front of the driver's seat (where the trans. is. That's one reason I'm so certain of the cause.) It happens mostly uphill at 1,700-1,800 rpm around 30-45 mph. Shudder happens around the same rpm and is definitely from the trans. It does shake at all speeds which seems like a by-product of my other issues.

I've been able to duplicate the shudder and noise for them every time. The first dealer tried telling me the shudder was normal as well as the fluid being black and full of tcc material in the pan. And had no answer for the sound. Second dealer is just searching for excuses. Making **** up. It's ridiculous! Sorry you're having the came problems with the dealer.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

I would make another visit to the dealer and demand the name and phone number of the Zone Rep. Get that person on the phone and explain the situation, insisting that they come out and drive the car ASAP.

Basically, you need to keep escalating until you get satisfaction.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Teching In

The dealer told me today that they suspect the noise is coming from the active fuel management chain. They let me look at a TSB stating a rattle or tick noise coming from chain is normal. My car does not tick, does not rattle! It's grinding! I argued with the service adviser and shop foreman for awhile. Called the GM rep and argued with him. He put me on hold while he "tried to get the service manager at the dealer on the phone" and then hung up. The service manager wouldn't even get involved. The shop foreman said when they dropped the pan to replace the tcc solenoid, they didn't see any material and the fluid was perfect. I know that is a lie because I check it the night before, it was orangish brown. Of course, they didn't save any fluid to show me or anyone from GM. Their advice is to drive it a couple weeks or months and bring it back and let them look at it again. They are saying that the tsb's I asked them about have been canceled by GM. They seem to have an answer for everything. They did say they would give me a little bit of a grace period on my warranty. I'm demanding they put it in writing. I also told the service adviser that every car I have ever owned has been a GM car. And that this will be my last. I know it's not but I was trying to push the issue.

Mike, I will get the rep. to come out. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get them to move. Their big thing is the condition of the fluid and findings in the pan, which they "say" everything looked fine. I checked the fluid tonight when I got home and it sure smells burnt to me(only been in there 4 days). I'm going to a trans. shop tomorrow and just having them look at the fluid. I'm running out of ideas.

Also, the inside of the car had grease all over the door panels and smelt like cat ****. I had to call the dealer again and bitch about that. The adviser said if I bring it back next week, they will detail the interior. I told her that I honestly don't want any of those clowns touching my car. And the tech. working on my car, I wouldn't trust him to add windshield washer fluid without some how f-ing it up. I might have to go out of state to find a good honest dealership.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Man, I'm sorry to hear this. I didn't even know there was such a thing as an "active fuel management chain." I thought that system was controlled by oil pressure and solenoids.

Are you the original owner?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Launching!

sucks that im not the only one that gets jerked around because of transmission problems, and i didnt know the first time i took mine in, to take the rep out and get the car to recreate the problem, because i can get mine to do whenever i want ... of course the dealership couldnt ...

my warranty is up in may, and i havent been abusing my car since i took it in earlier this year, but i havent exactly been driving like she's made of glass either ...

i need to get the fluid/ filter changed, and im considering paying the extra to get it done at the dealership, and actively watching to see the color and condition ...

when doing a filter/ fluid change, is it normal to drop the pan ? to see if there are an inordinate amount of shavings on the magnet ?

im going to be really pissed if she checks out fine, and then a month past my warranty she bombs
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

if shavings are found in the tranny pan, save /keep this for documentation ! if gm said just drive it-knowing your warranty is close to running out, go to plan [ b ] ? ! find local drag strips, asap ! when there drive it, like you stole it ! keep phone number of friendly local roll back guy. when it breaks be sure to clean rubber out of front wheel wells..tell gm dealer was out for a sunday ride /and it just broke ? also make sure to get the free loaner/might take gm awhile to another rebuilt tranny.. that [tranny] will be warranty for another 100,000 miles ! gm is great sometimes ? good luck ! of course i am only kidding ? rkvette