LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone ever use Dr Colorchip Or any other chip repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever use Dr Colorchip Or any other chip repair?

just looking for a product to clean up some of the less serious chips on my car.. chips range in size: pin sized, head of a nail sized, and two really bad ones on the RR of the car that look like someone parked the car in the middle of a driving range.

The demo of Dr colorchip on you tube looks convincing, though those were only pin sized chips...

If I ever meet the previous owner of my car i'll will beat him/her into a comma. I've never seen a 08 car with that bad of paint.. insane.

Any info on chip repair would be appreciated. I would rather not have the whole car painted till I get it completely paid off, But at the same time I don't want it to look like someone went to town with a paint pen.

Last edited by lunchbox_89; 08-19-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would just have a body shop make you some touch up paint. then get some paint brushes from an hobby store. most of the products that look too good to me true usually are.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
i would just have a body shop make you some touch up paint. then get some paint brushes from an hobby store. most of the products that look too good to me true usually are.
only thing that worries me about that is the paint would end up being uneven...
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you have to have a pretty steady hand. it is hard to get touch up perfectly even unless your sand over the chip and buff after you touch it in
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
you have to have a pretty steady hand. it is hard to get touch up perfectly even unless your sand over the chip and buff after you touch it in
well I was looking at this one touch up system that has your oem paint color mixed into a different formula, which allows you to remove the high spots with their 'removing chemical'... it looked pretty good and the process makes sense to me, no sanding needed..

I worry about sanding cause I dont wanna end up ruining the paint around it..

I will hopefully be getting lots of OT this winter and will be able to pay off the majority of the 15000 I owe, so I will probably be getting a custom paintjob after that.. The car as is looks good from a distance but as soon as your within a few feet you can see its beaten and battered...
Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lunchbox_89
well I was looking at this one touch up system that has your oem paint color mixed into a different formula, which allows you to remove the high spots with their 'removing chemical'... it looked pretty good and the process makes sense to me, no sanding needed..

I will hopefully be getting lots of OT this winter and will be able to pay off the majority of the 15000 I owe, so I will probably be getting a custom paintjob after that.. The car as is looks good from a distance but as soon as your within a few feet you can see its beaten and battered...
what system was that???
Old 08-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Default Paint chip repair

Have used both Langka & Color Chip with great success. Dr. Color Chip is great for dark cars & works well on others. Used 0n 2010 Black Vette, 99 NBM T/A, 2008 Tahoe Blue Granite Z71, 2008 White GTP
Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lunchbox_89

you would sand with like 2000 grit so you cant really mess anything up

i have some of that paint remover at my shop. you can use a rubber squeegee to put the paint in then go over it with the chemical and it takes the excess off.

it is still kinda hard to get it to look 100% correct but works alright.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
what system was that???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svgd_...eature=related

only thing that worries me about this is it could be a 'before and after' switch, as in they took the after pics first than scatched the before pics into the mirror.

*edited x3 due to drunken mistakes*

Originally Posted by Wanless 99 T/A
Have used both Langka & Color Chip with great success. Dr. Color Chip is great for dark cars & works well on others. Used 0n 2010 Black Vette, 99 NBM T/A, 2008 Tahoe Blue Granite Z71, 2008 White GTP
how deep were the chips that you fixed with dr color chip? clear coat, paint, primer, metal/plastic?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Launching!

I just used the DR color chip yesterday on my Galaxy silver GXP and I think it works great. It took a while to rub the excess paint off (I think I used too much) but the color was a perfect match and the chips are not visible from a far. I even filled in a gash that was down to the plastic on the ground effects by the pass. front wheel ( went over it a few times). I havent used anything else to compare with but I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Teching In

I've been thinking of using the DR on my Sport Red Metallic GXP. Only a couple of people have noticed the few rock chips I have and the chips from car doors in parking lots. But I notice them everything I walk up to and get in my car.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know if I can get a shop to match the "Blue Green Crystal" job I have on my car? It looks like it could be hard to match. I have chips magically appearing on my hood lol and I'm not a fan of it
Old 10-16-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gxpintn
Does anyone know if I can get a shop to match the "Blue Green Crystal" job I have on my car? It looks like it could be hard to match. I have chips magically appearing on my hood lol and I'm not a fan of it
Unless they have a really bad *** painter(which some shops do), I highly doubt it. That's a very hard color to just spot paint, and I'm sure you'd still be able to see the chips they'd just be a shade of green.

I guess if it's just a few then it wouldn't be too bad, but if it's like my hood where you have hundreds then I'd just have a QUALITY shop respray the whole hood.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use Dr Colorchip Or any other chip repair?