LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Just rented a 2012 Impala with the "new" 300hp V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just rented a 2012 Impala with the "new" 300hp V6

Well, I'm taking a 1200+ mile trip this weekend and didn't want to put the wear/tear on my GXP. SO, I used some credit card points to get a free rental car instead. I had enough to get pretty much any rental up to a Luxury car, BUT I wanted to get some decent mileage, too. So I opted for the "Full-size", knowing the Impala was the most likely vehicle I'd obtain. To my surprise, not only did I get an Impala, I got a BRAND NEW Impala that was essentially fully-equipped (minus leather) AND has the new 300hp V6/6spd auto combo. So far, it seems like a great engine. Doesn't really come on the power until the very upper-rpm range and feels like it could keep going well beyond the factory redline. I bet a tune would do WONDERS for this car. Low-end is practically non-existant but once you hit about 5k, the thing takes off and sling-shots to redline. The auto-trans, however; is a bit disappointing. Shifts are slow and slushy and the car has a surprisingly tall final drive, or at least feels like it. I think this motor could really use a tad shorter gearing, and definitely quicker shifts. All that being said, the car drives great and has great power. I actually ran against my wife in the GXP on the way home and she DESIMATED me 0-60 lol so that torque apparently makes all the difference Great car, tho, I could defintely commute in this thing!! Gas mileage figures to come...

Edit: Here's a couple pics. I'll try to get some more tomorrow before I turn it back in!

Last edited by BlauGXP; 10-08-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Pics!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM
JKG

Well it has the same engine as the Camaro which has 23 more HP so there is probably some potential.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if it could break into the 14's
Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
I wonder if it could break into the 14's
Honestly, I really think it could. I've had about 5 Taurus SHO's with various mods, one of which was a 94 Auto with intake/exhaust/tune, that was about a 14.8X car and I think this Impala feels about the same speed-wise. Time to start searching recent road tests...
Old 10-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlauGXP
Well, I'm taking a 1200+ mile trip this weekend and didn't want to put the wear/tear on my GXP. SO, I used some credit card points to get a free rental car instead. I had enough to get pretty much any rental up to a Luxury car, BUT I wanted to get some decent mileage, too. So I opted for the "Full-size", knowing the Impala was the most likely vehicle I'd obtain. To my surprise, not only did I get an Impala, I got a BRAND NEW Impala that was essentially fully-equipped (minus leather) AND has the new 300hp V6/6spd auto combo. So far, it seems like a great engine. Doesn't really come on the power until the very upper-rpm range and feels like it could keep going well beyond the factory redline. I bet a tune would do WONDERS for this car. Low-end is practically non-existant but once you hit about 5k, the thing takes off and sling-shots to redline. The auto-trans, however; is a bit disappointing. Shifts are slow and slushy and the car has a surprisingly tall final drive, or at least feels like it. I think this motor could really use a tad shorter gearing, and definitely quicker shifts. All that being said, the car drives great and has great power. I actually ran against my wife in the GXP on the way home and she DESIMATED me 0-60 lol so that torque apparently makes all the difference Great car, tho, I could defintely commute in this thing!! Gas mileage figures to come...
I had a 2012 Impala LTZ for the month that my car was in the shop. I opened the hood once and it was a surprise. If you could confirm what I thought I saw. It looked like there was a cat on the front exhaust header like it is actually true dual exhaust.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Parents friends have one , its nice , and the exhaust manifold cylinder head is pretty cool , so much for headers but its got some powa . Not as much low as their 07 impala ss but its screms pretty .
Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

hmm interesting design, wonder how header companies like that idea
Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Update: Drove about 570 miles today, went very well. One thing I can say about this engine after having spent some time with it now is that it has a VERY narrow powerband. It really only makes good power above about 5k to redline, which I think I mentioned above but the more you drive it, the more apparent this becomes. That being said, passing people on the country roads and maintaining a steady 80-85 was no problem. My 2 main complaints with this thing are 1. very darty handling, hard to keep it straight esp. when its very windy (which it has been my whole route) and 2. seats have very little lower back support, and it's non-adjustable. Otherwise, truthfully I really enjoy this thing. Nowhere near as much as my GXP, but still a real nice little rig.
PS. I got 28.5mpg doing 80+ most of the way and performing multiple country-road passes, not bad at all!!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can we get some pictures?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Bump, pics added. See 1st post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Welp, I completed the trip. Today sucked, went about an hour in the exact wrong direction before realizing it, adding quite a bit of time (and mileage, frustration, etc) to the trip. BUT, made it home ok, no issues. Car overall worked out great. My only major complaints still stand: Poor handling, narrow power band. AND, I don't think it feels like 300hp...like at all, but oh well. Oh, and the MPG wasn't as great as I thought, it pretty much hung between 23-25mpg the whole way back. That's all folks!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Teching In

any engine shots?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is this thing rear wheel drive now? since it has the camaro v6 or has it been modified to have it front wheel drive, I really hope they did make it rear wheel drive then the SS version would be bad *** if they threw a ls3 in it
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Same old fwd with a new motor.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics of the engine bay and transmission area, lol.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

lol sorry guys, I know the pix suck but I had so little time this weekend, it was ridiculous. Here's a pic of the engine but you can't see much cause of the engine cover.

I honestly would have removed it for a better pic if I had more time, but I truly didn't.
Ah but here's the REAL kicker for you Impala SS guys, as far as I know this is a new feature (please correct me if I'm wrong) :

Tiptronic shifting!!! lol I realized this on the trip home, unfortunately. I wish I saw that sooner because I would have been messing with it a lot more. It made it a bit easier to pass cause I could downshift and hold 3rd while I wait for my chance to pass, then just nail it and go. Pretty stupid location for a semi-manual option IMO (it was only on the left side of the wheel, volume controls were on the right) but better than nothing. Bottom line, though, I definitely wouldn't trade the GXP on one lol...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pics! And wow, no sharkfin love for the '12 Impala...

And there's the solution for the SS cousins once we get past the computer issues in the 6 speed swap: radio control-style shift control, lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's a terrible location...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup...We don't have those shift controls on the wheel. Pretty cool stuff.

Of course, I'd rather have the 6T70 trans sitting next to that 3.6.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish my impala came with that tap shift.

Quick Reply: Just rented a 2012 Impala with the "new" 300hp V6