LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 4-cyl mode SOUNDS LIKE S%$@

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 4-cyl mode SOUNDS LIKE S%$@

When my car goes into 4-cyl mode I love it, HATE IT! I like the attempt to save me gas - but I have yet to get any better than 15.6-MPG. I got better gas mileage from my 1500 Seirra with 5.7 towing my Bass Boat, than I get with my SS Monte Carlo.

But again, that PA, PAPA, PA coming out of my flowmasters sounds so bad!!! I beginning to hate the DoD/EFM system, and I know in the end it will make me hate the car. How have you guys dealt with that awful sound?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will get used to it. . . or just buy a tuner and disable it. Personally I feel it does increase mileage if you use it efficiently, if you don't of course you are going to get crap for mileage. Best way to get better mileage is to drive smarter. I changed my driving habits from fun to more of a cruiser mentality and have gone from 14-15 mph to ~18 in the same sub 30mph commute with lots of starts and stops.

Edit....I agree with DJ's comment below. .. I don't find DoD that annoying either. . .sorta helicopterish, but that's about it

Last edited by eddiemoney; 09-13-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Honestly mine dosen't sound that bad. I can tell when the dod does activate, but it's not really annoying.

How much city and hwy driving do you do? I do about half and half and get about 26 mpg on average.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djfeezy
Honestly mine dosen't sound that bad. I can tell when the dod does activate, but it's not really annoying.

How much city and hwy driving do you do? I do about half and half and get about 26 mpg on average.
My typical drive to work is 7.5 miles. 50-MPH speed limit 1/4-mile, to a 40-mph speed limit for 1.5-miles, to a 45-MPH speed limit for 5.5-miles, to a 30-mph speed limit another 1/4-mile.

I could go 50-MPH for 3/4-mile, to 40-mph for 1/4-mile, to 70-mph for 6-miles, to 40-mph for 1/4-mile, to 30-mph for another 1/4-mile. Problem is, if there is an accident of the Expressway, that 6-mile drive becomes an all-day affair. I have sat for over an hour before moving. The surface roads are slower, but if there is an accident, there is always an escape route.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is 25---35---25----30---35----15----stop----Park. . .about 2.5 miles.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Tune it out...gas mileage is still good, often better.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

It doesn't bother me...I have resonator removed and flowmaster 40's.....what bothers me is the SURGE that I get because of you know who! Like others have said, just tune it out if you don't like it.

Nacho, are you actually getting better gas mileage? I've heard some people claim that, but it's hard to believe. I've done some pretty extensive testing and dod yields me a good 2-3 mpg...
Old 09-13-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

After 36K in one year, I don't even notice the DoD. Sound wise or surge wise.

But my sat radio is always on.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get a solid 5 MPG extra with DoD on straight highway. Left my resonator on and swapped out the mufflers for more personality and not so much loud, if you listen carefully you can hear the swap, but it is not at all objectionable.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Tune it out...gas mileage is still good, often better.
I've measured combo and trips both stock with DOD and Diablo No DOD since Diablo can't get rid of the DOD surge yet. Combo I get about 2 to 2.5 better with DOD and on trips closer to 4 better MPG. Best MPG was just over 27.

The loose converter is fun and helps a lot with performance but slow commutes will kill MPG unless you drive easier even with DOD. MPG also went up after about 6K.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just use the No DOD tune and have it totally disabled so I'm always on V8 mode... and I get 20.5mpg consistently... that's with 50/50 city/highway driving and "getting on it" when I have enough room in front of me...

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Nacho, are you actually getting better gas mileage? I've heard some people claim that, but it's hard to believe. I've done some pretty extensive testing and dod yields me a good 2-3 mpg...
I get better mileage with no DOD too... when I was using DOD, I was only getting about 18.6mpg with the same driving conditions. but like I said, I've been getting 20.5mpg consistently, with the dod disabled/off.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-14-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Considering you should only hear the 4cyl when cruising at a constant speed, i can't imagine you hear much at all above wind noise and such...it goes into 8cyl mode when you romp on it, which is when it matters. Even at idle it's in 8...i don't see the problem here. Even with your commute, i imagine there is a lot of slow down, speed up...and every time you speed up, unless you have an egg on your gas pedal, you're gonna be in 8.

I've got the magnaflow and when on the highway with the radio at a reasonable volume, i can tell when it switches between modes...but at 50-75mph, i don't actually hear the exhaust.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at 75mph my exhaust is roaring when my exhaust cutout is open. I think it actually sounds better when in 4cyl mode but my exhaust is so loud when it does switch its very noticable and if you are in semi-rush hour traffic where your trying to keep up with the car infront of you threw slow downs and speed ups it does get anoying so usually i put the car into 3rd untill i'm on a path that is constant that 4cyl mode won't be switching constantly. Me and my wife drove 1000 miles in both of our cars when we moved and her v6 vulcan 04 taurus used the exact same ammount of gas that my car did if not better. I roughly got 470 miles per tank. So i think DOD helps in long trips. But i don't see much of a improvment in city driving. I'm curious how the wear and tear of city driving on the DOD system will effect it 10 years down the road.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Teching In

I have about 2300 miles on my car now and one thing I have noticed is that when I am going about 40-50mph and it is in 4cyl. mode, then I get on it there is a little hesitation.

Is that normal? Is that the "surge" referenced above? Is there anything you can do about it or is a tune that removes DOD from your car about it?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no, the surge they're talking about is tune-related - with the Diablo Predator tune... they're using the tune that does not disable the DOD, so that's why they are having the surge issue. The surge issue is not there with the No DOD tunes.

the surge you're talking about is the little hesitation you're probably feeling when it switches back to V8 mode...

oh, and I've got 38,xxx miles on mine... ;-)

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't notice when mine goes in and out of 4 cyl mode. Then again I have no engine mods yet either. Haven't really noticed if mine hesitates going back into 8 but I havent paid close attention to it. And not to get too far off topic, but regarding the Diablosport, any new updates on if/when it will be available for 07's??
Old 09-14-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 20SS07
I don't notice when mine goes in and out of 4 cyl mode. Then again I have no engine mods yet either. Haven't really noticed if mine hesitates going back into 8 but I havent paid close attention to it. And not to get too far off topic, but regarding the Diablosport, any new updates on if/when it will be available for 07's??
Never...diablosport treats us like red headed step children. j/k...I think it's another 2-6 months out....which in diablosport time means...never.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

I am assuming your tuning is off since you put flowmaster.... I would tune it.

Originally Posted by SS_Black_Attack
When my car goes into 4-cyl mode I love it, HATE IT! I like the attempt to save me gas - but I have yet to get any better than 15.6-MPG. I got better gas mileage from my 1500 Seirra with 5.7 towing my Bass Boat, than I get with my SS Monte Carlo.

But again, that PA, PAPA, PA coming out of my flowmasters sounds so bad!!! I beginning to hate the DoD/EFM system, and I know in the end it will make me hate the car. How have you guys dealt with that awful sound?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by yuimyt
I am assuming your tuning is off since you put flowmaster.... I would tune it.
Doubtful...replacing your mufflers does nothing but make the car louder. No power gain on these cars from what I understand.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I have to check on Monday, but doesn't the Diablo VOID your warranty(where I have a 100,000 bumper-to-bumper)?

I was told the computer stores all the tune changes. So when you take your car to the dealership their computer tells them you have reflashed your car(or so I am told).

But I need to see if I can have the mechanic disable the DoD without voiding the warranty.