LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

OnStar.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OnStar.....

My OnStar is malfunctioning...It will not store names, it will not delete names... When I try to store a name after I give it a number it will keep saying "please state the name tag". I will respond and it will say "please state the name tag" I go through this 3 times and it shuts off. I've been gonig back and forth with onstar and my stealer for about 3 weeks and I'm a pretty resonable person but my patience is wearing. I am through talking with onstar as they agree that the the hardware is the problem. I had the tech in the car with me as we all talked about what was wrong. For the 3rd time they had the car for this and they said "they did everything on their end" and I need to call onstar to have my voice comands relearned. This is BS as the only thing Onstar can do is send a software update which I have had 3 of sent to me and walk me though the operating procedures. They cannot diag the control. I want the system to work as I do use the phone. If they did scan the system and found nothing wrong it is true that there is another fault in the system as the self diagnostics is not operational. They know the storing and deleting problem I am having. Scanning reveals no problems then there is still a problem. I went to another dealer an they said that I need to take it up with my dealer because they are the ones who are messing with it. If I insist then they need to talk with my dealer and that would not be pleasent..

The right rear is creaking.They know about this but said they didnt have time to look at it. They told me to come back on the 3rd because they said right now they are expecting an bunch of recall vehicle to come in this week and he would be happy to give the loaner for how ever long.

I've never had a problem with the dealer till now. I want to go in early monday and tell them that the Onstar and the rear end needs to be repaired. Their problems are not my concern....

I am really disturbed by this. Now when I see cars I hate floor it and fly by them.. I'm normally very tame on the road...

My Exhaust Vids for those who havent seen..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzIUSVsEb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhBnAPMZC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaWCNZFdvg

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 03-10-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Wow! Sounds like my selling dealer...the one I no longer take my car to

Good luck getting that fixed. I use the phone a bit, and my wife uses it more often than I, but we don't use the stored tags. I completely forgot how to store, retrieve and edit them...it's been so long.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used my phone for the first 100 minutes and never again. Way easier for me to hear on my cell phone. The nice thing about the Onstar phone is it worked in northern Michigan when my cell didn't.

The diagnostic function is a cool option.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

OnStar is a cool feature....but I've never used it.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got the online survey and I've let them know I was unhappy.

I have cooled down from all of this, helping my friend turbocharge his "vintage" '88 GrandPrix SE...he was mounting the clutch and he slipped and took a header into the engine bellhousing...Makes my cellular phone gripe miniscule.. He is ok, though lumpy...

I will wait till next week to bring in the vehicle but I will let the advisor know that this has to be repaired and that I am not talking OnStar anymore about this problem. They need to repair it and get it right, and I dont want the car back till they do.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Great so you slammed them on the survey because they were trying to give you a loaner so they could fix you problems at a time when it would be available for them to give you a loaner. A creak in the rear and your onstar in my opinion you problems are little BS I worked at a dealer I get bonuses base on those surveys that you filled out online sounds to me like your a whiner. If I was that dealer I would be notified of your survey They do not have to give you a loaner unless it's a drivetrain issue he was being a nice guy wonder if he still will be when you go back !
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I like my Onstar.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want SYNC from Microsoft so my car will get the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" while driving.

LOL
Old 02-24-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07WhiteSS
Great so you slammed them on the survey because they were trying to give you a loaner so they could fix you problems at a time when it would be available for them to give you a loaner. A creak in the rear and your onstar in my opinion you problems are little BS I worked at a dealer I get bonuses base on those surveys that you filled out online sounds to me like your a whiner. If I was that dealer I would be notified of your survey They do not have to give you a loaner unless it's a drivetrain issue he was being a nice guy wonder if he still will be when you go back !
Wow where to start.....

I spend over $30,000 for a car with a bumper to bumper warrenty I expect them to keep up their end, and I have treated everyone there with respect. I want these problems fixed as it is unsafe for to pull out my phone book and shout out numbers to the onstar to make my phone calls. I paid for the feature and I expect full functionality. AND WHEN I HAVE TECH IN THE CAR AND ONSTAR ON THE PHONE AT THE SAME TIME AND WE ARE DISSCUSSING THE PROBLEM you damn well better believe that I expect that problem to be rectified. I'm a whiner??? I am not giving my precious time and money away for nothing. Sorry I do not consider the advisor to be the just the best person ever because he'll give me a loaner. In agreement am entitled to it if the repairs are going to take over X amount of time. The rear end is not hard to fix, the tech had the car all day. I'm an automotive engineer, "fixing" cars is the least I can do, and I know when people are trying to take advantage of the situation.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, that is why I will do what the advisor told me to.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Where the hell does it say that they don't give you a loaner if it's not a drivetrain issue? That's BS. If the dealer has your car for more than one 24hr period for ANY warranty issue, they are to give you a loaner.

I've been w/o my vehicle for 40 cumulative days since 9/05. I've bitched and moaned about numberous issues at my selling dealer, only to have 1/2 of them fall by the wayside due to sheer ineptness. I.e....I started complaing about a clunk in the rear of the car back at 18,000mi. Took it in and they first said they couldn't hear it. The idiot must have been blasting the radio b/c it was clear as a bell to anyone who rode in my car. Took it back another time and they said it was my hitch making the car extra rigid, causing "new, normal" clunks. I asked them to loosen the hitch for me and I'd take it off...which I did. Took it back to them and they then said it was my rear bumper, which had been dented in a parking lot accident. He pushed on the bumper to show me a clicking sound...not a clunking sound...and dismissed my issue as "my fault." Fast forward to 29,000+mi. Took it to a dealer my uncle works for and within seconds the service tech heard the problem, wrote it up as a "suspension clunk," and within minutes the next day diagnosed and fixed the bad sway bar links & bushings.

Just b/c you worked for a dealer and know what goes on doesn't mean people don't have a right to get warranty work done when it's due...even if it's a hard to diagnose problem. Guess what!?!? Cars have a lot of electronics nowadays...more "hard to diagnose" things...but it's up to GM and it's vendors/partners to provide the proper training and support to fix those same items. You SOUND like someone who worked for MY dealer. What Count is going through sounds eerily like my scenario, and I know that I'm no whiner. I gave up my car for days at a time for simple repairs, only to get pushed behind other paying customers by a dealer that didn't give a damn.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bonuses are overrated :X
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

ive ran into many problems with onstar as i am i technician at a gm dealer. and it seems like a very easy fix. the technicians there must suck. im willing to bet that the vehicle communications interface module is at fault or better known as the VCIM. after they install that and set it up its a good idea to have onstar download the updates to the vehicle again. but more than likely that is your problem.

i just checked service information and could not find any bulletins related to your concern if you would like pm me more details and ill see what i can come up with, cool?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Taz Wrote:
I want SYNC from Microsoft so my car will get the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" while driving.
LOL
That is the funniest ting I have read in a while.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

was the problem ever fixed?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, they just keep making OS that dont really work...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm taking it in tommorow, hopefully it will all be resolved...