LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help installing new valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help installing new valve springs

Hey guys I just purchased a set of valve springs retainers and locks from Lloyd Elliott. The spring are the same dual spring that come in the crane dual spring kit part no# 10308-1. My question is, that with my springs, locks, and retainers came these black washers like looking things. I am assuming that that you are supposed to remove the valve seal umbrella like thing and remove the old washer looking like thing and replace it with the new one I was sent and then put the valve seal umbrella thing back on, am I correct. Last question is what is the proper way to remove the valve seal and put it back on when I am done? Thanks for all of the help guys.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

I just used a pair of slip joint pliers and lightly twisted them off. If I were you I would run down to the parts store and get a new set of valve seals since you are taking them off anyways. And then I just pushed them back on by hand. They fit real snug. No leaks from my after 10k miles.

D
Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you are talking about the shims that come with the Crane 10308 spring kit. They will be really thin, flat washers. What you do is bring a cylinder to TDC. Use the spring compressing tool to compress the spring. Some times you have to give the top of the spring a tap with a rubber hammer to free the reainter and locks. Use a magnetic pickup tool to remove the locks and to ensure that you don't drop them. Now loosen your spring compressor tool and pull off the spring and retainer. Use some pliers and gently pull up on the valve seal. I found that it helps if you gently pull up on it with pliers, and then turn the pliers 180 degrees and pull up on the seal again, should slide right off. Now remove the spring seat (locator). Lay down the shim, then lay the seat back down. Slip the plactic protective boot over the valve stem tip to protect the new seal during installation. Put some oil on the valve seal ring and intall the new seal with a valve seal installer tool, or a hollow nylon tube. A deep skirt socket can be used as well, just be careful not to damage the new valve seal. Just tap the seal down till it bottoms out. Now put the new spring over the stem, place the new retainer on top. Use the valve spring compressor tool to compress the spring enough to slip the new locks in place. Make sure they lock inside the grove. Slowly uncompressed the spring and the spring should be locked in place. Remove the spring compressor and give the spring some light taps with a rubber hammer to make sure that the locks and retainer aren't going anywhere. You'll want to use a valve spring micrometer or plunge caliper or similar tool to measure your installed height. That's the height from the spring seat to the spring retainer. For the Crane 10308 kit, an installed height of 1.8" will work fine.
Now do the spring for the second valve on the same piston. Then bring the next piston up to TDC and do those two springs...etc etc. Good luck man.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I think you are talking about the shims that come with the Crane 10308 spring kit. They will be really thin, flat washers. What you do is bring a cylinder to TDC. Use the spring compressing tool to compress the spring. Some times you have to give the top of the spring a tap with a rubber hammer to free the reainter and locks. Use a magnetic pickup tool to remove the locks and to ensure that you don't drop them. Now loosen your spring compressor tool and pull off the spring and retainer. Use some pliers and gently pull up on the valve seal. I found that it helps if you gently pull up on it with pliers, and then turn the pliers 180 degrees and pull up on the seal again, should slide right off. Now remove the spring seat (locator). Lay down the shim, then lay the seat back down. Slip the plactic protective boot over the valve stem tip to protect the new seal during installation. Put some oil on the valve seal ring and intall the new seal with a valve seal installer tool, or a hollow nylon tube. A deep skirt socket can be used as well, just be careful not to damage the new valve seal. Just tap the seal down till it bottoms out. Now put the new spring over the stem, place the new retainer on top. Use the valve spring compressor tool to compress the spring enough to slip the new locks in place. Make sure they lock inside the grove. Slowly uncompressed the spring and the spring should be locked in place. Remove the spring compressor and give the spring some light taps with a rubber hammer to make sure that the locks and retainer aren't going anywhere. You'll want to use a valve spring micrometer or plunge caliper or similar tool to measure your installed height. That's the height from the spring seat to the spring retainer. For the Crane 10308 kit, an installed height of 1.8" will work fine.
Now do the spring for the second valve on the same piston. Then bring the next piston up to TDC and do those two springs...etc etc. Good luck man.
Thanks for the help guys. I am not totaly sure that they are shims they are the same thickness as the retainer that goes on top of the spring. is that right?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by starbucks
Thanks for the help guys. I am not totaly sure that they are shims they are the same thickness as the retainer that goes on top of the spring. is that right?
Maybe they are new spring seats...
Look at this picture. The black peices are the valve spring seats (locators) and the silver peices are the valve spring retainers. Hope that helps.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Maybe they are new spring seats...
Look at this picture. The black peices are the valve spring seats (locators) and the silver peices are the valve spring retainers. Hope that helps.

Thanks again for the help man. The peices that i am talking about look identical to the clack peices but do not have the part that is raised.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by starbucks
Thanks again for the help man. The peices that i am talking about look identical to the clack peices but do not have the part that is raised.
Well I would call up Lloyd and ask him what they are supposed to be for exactly.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

ss.slp pretty much covered it.

You do want 'viton" seals. felpro makes them as do many other brands.

2 cyclinders will be "up" at the same time when you bring one to TDC. start with cyl #1

1 & 6
5 & 8
7 & 4
3 & 2

this Crane tool makes it VERY easy 99473-1 but it is $100

stuff paper towels/rags into every crevace in head...you really don't want to drop a keeper in the motor and yes get a small pen magnet to help remove keepers.

Also the 'locators" do have a raised skirt on them so check with Lloyd on wtf the flat washers are for.

Install height is 1.8" and IIRC stock springs are 1.70-.75??, anyway buy a spring height tool for $20 and confirm installed height is 1.8". If for some reason you need shims than reuse ones already there or buy a set. They come in a variety of thicknes.

Quick Reply: need help installing new valve springs