LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Delteq Opti Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delteq Opti Eliminator

anybody have expierience with the delteq opti eliminator? heres the description:
The Delteq Opti-Direct system solves most of the LT1's Opti-Spark problems by converting to a distributorless system similar to that used on the Cadillac Northstar engines. With high voltage removed from the Opti-Spark, the problems of cap & rotor wear, internal arc-over and cross-firing vanish. The rotor can be removed, preventing the problem of high RPM rotor failure, seen on many race applications.

The distributorless system consists of four high-output ignition coils, each firing two spark plugs. The four-coil system is able to produce longer charging time than a single coil system, even at high engine speeds, which means more energy to the plugs when it's needed most. The system is well-proven in its Northstar application with a stock redline of 6500 RPM and a recommended tune-up interval of 100,000 miles!

The Opti-Direct system is easy to install. Every kit is 100% plug & play, so no cutting, splicing or fabrication is required. Each application is custom-designed for a specific vehicle, so it's a perfect fit every time.

Included with the Opti-Direct system are:

Delteq Opti-Box (the "brain")
Plug & play wiring harnesses
New Delphi ignition module with 4 coils (the "coilpack")
Application-specific brackets
Custom 8mm double-silicone spark plug wires
Labels for coils and spark plug wires to aid proper connection
All stainless steel fasteners (No rust!)
Detailed instruction manual

Experienced "driveway mechanics" should be able to install the basic system in an hour, plus the time required to run the new plug wires.

let me know what you think...its roughly 700$ heres the link http://delteq.com/index.htm
Attached Thumbnails Delteq Opti Eliminator-1013.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok man not being a dick or anything, but please do a search or search over on CamaroZ28.com as this subject has been thoroughly beaten to death. To answer your question, the Delteq setup is very good and I have run mine for several years with out any issues. There are a few negatives though:

1) Delteq is either out of business or non responsive as the owner got real sick a couple of years ago and they stopped responding to customers.

2) The biggest problem is the Delteq brain as some have had issues with it warping with heat and dying. Once this happens you are screwed as you won't find another one.

3) You still need the Opti as you the Delteq setup uses the CPS (cam position sensor) from the Opti and there for you will only remove the hi voltage from the opti (plug wires).

4) If you plan on running nitrous with this setup forget it as there is no way to hook up a window switch (retard/advance the timing) as you will need a msd dis-4 ignition and coil pack adapters to get this to work.

Moral of the story is go an alternative route with another product called LTCC (search you'll find it) as this system uses a more LS1 style with one coil per cylinder, however it takes more to hook it up and you have to fab up some brackets to mount your coils. I personally love mine but I know it won't last forever and will have to switch back to the Opti one day. You won't see any gains but the real reason for this setup is to remove the current from the opti and theoretically extending it's life considerably.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Ok man not being a dick or anything, but please do a search or search over on CamaroZ28.com as this subject has been thoroughly beaten to death. To answer your question, the Delteq setup is very good and I have run mine for several years with out any issues. There are a few negatives though:

1) Delteq is either out of business or non responsive as the owner got real sick a couple of years ago and they stopped responding to customers.

2) The biggest problem is the Delteq brain as some have had issues with it warping with heat and dying. Once this happens you are screwed as you won't find another one.

3) You still need the Opti as you the Delteq setup uses the CPS (cam position sensor) from the Opti and there for you will only remove the hi voltage from the opti (plug wires).

4) If you plan on running nitrous with this setup forget it as there is no way to hook up a window switch (retard/advance the timing) as you will need a msd dis-4 ignition and coil pack adapters to get this to work.

Moral of the story is go an alternative route with another product called LTCC (search you'll find it) as this system uses a more LS1 style with one coil per cylinder, however it takes more to hook it up and you have to fab up some brackets to mount your coils. I personally love mine but I know it won't last forever and will have to switch back to the Opti one day. You won't see any gains but the real reason for this setup is to remove the current from the opti and theoretically extending it's life considerably.
One point you stated is wrong, you can run a digital window switch with the Delteq system. Nitrous Outlet carries them for I believe $110.99.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Please don't waste your money on this kit. The stock ignition system is more than adequate.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Please don't waste your money on this kit. The stock ignition system is more than adequate.
For real? I guess you haven't popped a ton of opti's I take it.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PWND3r
For real? I guess you haven't popped a ton of opti's I take it.
My factory AC Delco failed at 140k miles (one of the plastic rivots that holds down the pointer on the rotor broke). Made a noob mistake and bought a Jegs opti and the rotor screws backed out, detaching the rotor only 2 weeks later. Learned my lesson and bought a genuine AC Delco opti from "thepartsladi" on Ebay. Removed the cap and thread locked the rotor screws before installation. I have 20k+ miles on that unit, problem free, shifting at around 6300-6500 rpm.
Moral of the story...an AC Delco/Delphi opti is more than sufficient. You just have to take care of your leaks and thread lock the rotor screws and you should get 100K+ miles out of it. Stock opti's have gone 9's down the quarter...
Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i mean if you think about it.... what other distributor is going to go 140k+ miles until it needs at least a new cap and rotor? I remember someone saying on here that they went like 170k and were just now needing a new opti because their water pump failed all over the distributor.... and the only problems people start getting in to are when they think they can get by with going cheaper and when they do they start having problems, or they have a water pump go bad and ruin the opti.... i figured i could get by with a summit brand one and an msd cap and rotor, but sure enough before reading on here i found out that the rotor screws like to back out... so i took that one out, bought a delphi or ac delco unit from thepartsladi and locktited the threads on those rotor screws and now knock on wood i should be good to go for a little while... and ive popped quite a few opti's, but once the people ive helped do them put a OEM one back in it there hasnt been any problems with it...

and its not really that bad of a job to do once you've done it a few times
Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well let's say I'm not stock, I'm reving to 7250+rpm's. I've failed my stock opti, that plastic rivets shattered. I bought an MSD unit, thread locked it and the rotor grenaded. I'm now on my 3rd one, and probably going to go the LTCC and Dynaspark Gen III soon. Stock or near stock if taken care of the opti "should" last. But with my car and tension that's put on it, it has failed consiterally.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well let's say I'm not stock, I'm reving to 7250+rpm's. I've failed my stock opti, that plastic rivets shattered. I bought an MSD unit, thread locked it and the rotor grenaded. I'm now on my 3rd one, and probably going to go the LTCC and Dynaspark Gen III soon. Stock or near stock if taken care of the opti "should" last. But with my car and tension that's put on it, it has failed consiterally.

We both know that you do not fit into the "normal" category.
Shifting at 7250 rpm...I doubt you are using the stock PCM, otherwise you'd be at the very limit if it's capabilities. You should be using an aftermarket stand alone computing system with a custom crank trigger, a front or rear mount distributor, single plane, large solid roller, etc, etc. So yeah, the opti isn't for you. But that doesn't mean that you should come on here saying that opti's shatter blah blah blah and advise a mild street/strip guy to buy an expensive conversion kit that is more than likely nothing more than a waste of money for him/her.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1

We both know that you do not fit into the "normal" category.
Shifting at 7250 rpm...I doubt you are using the stock PCM, otherwise you'd be at the very limit if it's capabilities. You should be using an aftermarket stand alone computing system with a custom crank trigger, a front or rear mount distributor, single plane, large solid roller, etc, etc. So yeah, the opti isn't for you. But that doesn't mean that you should come on here saying that opti's shatter blah blah blah and advise a mild street/strip guy to buy an expensive conversion kit that is more than likely nothing more than a waste of money for him/her.
X2

Shifting above 7250rpms! WTF do you got done to your car!?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

He never stated his car, nor his intentions. I've seen opti's go on stock car's too. Who knows what was going on. I'd point someone in the direction of the Delteq if they're a mild build. I'm still on stock PCM, and intake and my car is stock
Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

He never stated his car, nor his intentions. I've seen opti's go on stock car's too. Who knows what was going on. I'd point someone in the direction of the Delteq if they're a mild build. I'm still on stock PCM, and intake and my car is stock
HAHA yea and stock LS1's have gone 12's but i wouldnt necesarily use that as the average, or even for some.

My stock opti went 90k then the water pump took a **** on it, so just threw a new water pump and opti in their.

Be willing to bet my new opti will go another 90k, which is pretty damn good if you ask me!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Right. My Girlfriends opti lasted about 100k before the water pump leaked on it.

So yes, in a stock app. they're good. But I've went through 2 in about 2k miles. I'ts all about experience.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input, and from what I gather, as long as you install everything correctly an opti should be all good, which is what I was hoping. I think ill stick to the ac delco ones and when I need one ill look up that guy on craigslist. Thanks for the opinions based on expierience and not theory!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Yeah listen to these guys. I went the delteq route thinking it would be the absolute solution to everything.

Wrong...

The opti went, Opti-sensor crapped out, so i had to again do what i was trying to avoid by installing the delteq to begin with.

Stick with the opti. Just keep up on your maintainance. Its a good piece of equipment, just has to be maintained well.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I love my Delteq and knock on wood I have not had a single problem since installed over 5 years ago. However, I probably wouldn't go that route now considering Delteq's company status. I would stick with the OPTI but go with a custom wire kit and do the OTVC route as that was my original problem with burned wires on the headers. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

115000 miles on my stock opti, cap/rotor change at 60,000
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Launching!

my car has 95k on it and the engine just blew but its still got spark! lol

opti's deserve more credit.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevy2808
Thanks for all the input, and from what I gather, as long as you install everything correctly an opti should be all good, which is what I was hoping. I think ill stick to the ac delco ones and when I need one ill look up that guy on craigslist. Thanks for the opinions based on expierience and not theory!
You can get a new AC Delco/Delphi opti from "thepartsladi" on Ebay. They are ~255-265. Don't be fooled by anyone selling knock offs branded as oem for anything cheaper than that.

Originally Posted by Trick450r
my car has 95k on it and the engine just blew but its still got spark! lol

opti's deserve more credit.

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Honestly I love my Delteq and knock on wood I have not had a single problem since installed over 5 years ago. However, I probably wouldn't go that route now considering Delteq's company status. I would stick with the OPTI but go with a custom wire kit and do the OTVC route as that was my original problem with burned wires on the headers. Good luck.
Good advice.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

you could try this one, i will be
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._cylinder.aspx

Quick Reply: Delteq Opti Eliminator