LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

crank hub Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crank hub Q

so I'm SLOWLY making progress on my cam swap, I get some time here and there.. but why is my crank hub different than what I see in my haynes and on shoebox's site?

is this a crank under drive pulley?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is an underdrive pulley.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that is an underdrive pulley. the balacer should of bin in front of that and the hub is right behind it. you need a 3 jaw puller to get it off.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

cool I thought so, just making sure I knew what I was looking at. I like these surprise mods, the previous owner only mentioned a alt u/d pulley, wonder what else I'll find
Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sepno77
that is an underdrive pulley. the balacer should of bin in front of that and the hub is right behind it. you need a 3 jaw puller to get it off.
so i leave the hub bolt in to pull it right? just making sure before i crank on the puller cause its resisting allot more than the balencer
Old 08-01-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would take the bolt out just for the hell of it.

are you doing a cam swap?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

clean that dirty oil off your engine!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

i would take the bolt out just for the hell of it.

are you doing a cam swap?
yes sir, my buddy whos a mechanic was supposed to help me but the ***** is standing me up, nah I cant blame him he works allot and has a baby so I'm figuring it out on my own if I take the bolt off wont the hub come off with it? and don't I have to mark the hubs location?
edit: which AI cam did you go with?
Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
hahah rust proofing! nah I'll clean it when I get it all stripped down
Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well you want both of them to come off anyway, but i dought hub will even move. you need a hub puller to take that one off. its kinda trick for a 1st time. you need to put in a longer bolt in the middle then put the hub puller on then start turning. have you done the valve springs yet?

o no you dont have to mark the hub just match it up w/ the key on the crank. the key on the crank should be matched w/ the crank sprocket.

Last edited by sepno77; 08-01-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

well you want both of them to come off anyway, but i dought hub will even move. you need a hub puller to take that one off. its kinda trick for a 1st time. you need to put in a longer bolt in the middle then put the hub puller on then start turning. have you done the valve springs yet?
no, I realized today I need a different spring compressor than what I have so I have to wait until monday til my mechanic opens shop to borrow the other type..and I need a crank hub puller too? a 3claw won't work? and are you asking about the valve springs cause I need to do that 1st? ...probably huh cause I'm not supposed to move the crank after taking the hub off right? I realize I'm over my head here heh, just taking it slow, reading everything twice and jumpin on here when I have questions.
wish I had the $ to have this done, I was only trying to fix an oil leak and dropped $400 on having the rear main done but it turned out to be the intake mani, so I figured I would cam it and my buddy said he'd help me so..here I am now
Old 08-01-2009, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 3 claw/ hub puller will work but the hole in the hub is to small so you need to put a thinner bolt in the hub a then have the puller press on that.

Last edited by AChotrod; 08-01-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AChotrod
A 3 claw/ hub puller will work but the hole in the hub is to small so you need to put a thinner bolt in the hub a then have the puller press on that.
gotcha, should I take the u/d pulley off 1st or with the hub? I cranked on the pulley earlier and it seemed like it wasn't gonna come off with out some force and I was worried about bending it. just waiting for the temp to drop now, damn it was a hot one today!
and thanks for the help everyone!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Pull off the pulley first.
Also it doest really matter how it comes out its putting it all back in that matters, ie ..setting the rockers and making sure you line up the timing dots. The cam can only go in one way if the dots are lined up. I made sure my crank was TDC on the #1 cylinder compression stroke to be safe. Oh if your doing it with the heads on the car make sure every piston is TDC when doing the springs so the valve cant drop and use compressed air to hold them up
Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Pull off the pulley first.
Also it doest really matter how it comes out its putting it all back in that matters, ie ..setting the rockers and making sure you line up the timing dots. The cam can only go in one way if the dots are lined up. I made sure my crank was TDC on the #1 cylinder compression stroke to be safe. Oh if your doing it with the heads on the car make sure every piston is TDC when doing the springs so the valve cant drop and use compressed air to hold them up
I've read that compressed air is not needed, that as long as you put each piston at TDC that the valve can't drop in our engines.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
+1 cam swaps and motor swaps are the best time to get in there and clean that stuff up
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I've read that compressed air is not needed, that as long as you put each piston at TDC that the valve can't drop in our engines.
Just keeps the valves all the way up to make things easier, it cant drop all the way in.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't use a 3 jaw puller, you could break off out of the hub ears and then your in big trouble. Use this type instead:

and here is how it should work:

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/remove...lt1-crank-hub/
Old 08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by luckyou03
don't use a 3 jaw puller, you could break off out of the hub ears and then your in big trouble. Use this type instead:

and here is how it should work:

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/remove...lt1-crank-hub/
well I'm glad I lost patience workin on it today, def don't want to break a hub.. I'll hafta see if I can find a puller that style to borrow now.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya, it won't fall off like a claw will. just make sure you back out the crank bolt or put a smaller spare bolt or rod in there so the puller and have something to push onto or the hub is going nowhere with that bolt in there tight.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Ive pulled a couple with a 3 jaw and never broke anything, but yes the proper puller should be used if you can get a hold of one. They are only like 15 bucks and will last forever.

Quick Reply: crank hub Q