LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Was told this is a monster cam by some, and its not by others...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pyro719
Flow #'s are flow #'s lol! Tpi's Dont flow well above 5,000 rpm with the stock intake. LT1 and Tpi are two differnet animals. In your first Post you say the previous owner was setting it up for a blower? That means you might be sitting @ 8.5/1 or 9/1 comp ratio? Not Good For a N/A Application.Not trying to bash your setup Bro. I Just think you have a mismatched combo. Since you didnt Build this motor yourself and your going off what the dealer ship said. Who Knows whats in your motor? A Well setup heads and cam stock shortblock lt1 should run really low 12's at our altitude. And Beating the **** out of bolt on and cam only Ls1's. Just My 2 cents.
Agreed. Damn it sucks for ppl like you. Sea level rocks.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 AM
12 Second Club

This setup has been in this car before without problems...So I dont think its the H/C combo. But I guess we will see...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Got the exhaust back together this morning...Now that I can hear my engine again I can hear a knock. Sounds like a possible lifter or rocker. I am leaning more towards rocker since the lifters are BRAND NEW!

Only one so far, but doesn't mean all others are good either...

It still has the hesitation problem, so it wasnt the O2's or backpressure or any crap like that, so timw to pull the valve covers off and re-check all my lash and double check everything to correct that knock.

After that it will be time to replace the opti and spark plugs.

Here comes the FUN part lol
Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

I thought I could hear something in the video just wasnt certain with the loud exhaust. did you do the adjustment of the rockers with the car off or did you do it with the car running method? Misadjusted rockers will definetly make your car run bad. Hope thats all it is wish I was still up in that area I would drive up to help yea out.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

We used the engine off method, getting ready to do the engine on method right now.

I thought I could hear knocking, but I just pulled the valve covers and wiggled all the rockers...they were VERY slightly loose, but none came off of the spring or pushrod or moved enough to worry me...

When I started it up, what I THOUGHT was a knock was either rocker noise....or drowned out BY the rocker noise...I could not hear a prominent knock.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Re: pyro719

The heads are not eliminators.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

ok I give up...found the problem...fixed it...then lost the entire car.

It was the rockers...several had backed off and werent opening the valves right. I tightened them up, got it running nice and clean...no ticks, just slight rocker noise. I tightened the locks and made sure all was snug.

I started it up and it responded MUCH better. I noticed easier and smoother acceleration, quicker response, better idle, everything...

I got out on the street and hit about 75% throttle and it took off. Everything still sounded good, so at the next stop light I launched it. Started at 3500rpms and smoked the tires. Next light I launched at 2500 and it spun a bit then ran PERFECT.........and then....

I stopped at the next light and it started stuttering...I started listening and I could hear that tick coming back. I immediately turned around and tried to baby it home thinking it would do the same as before...drive ok just run shitty....

I got about another block and the ticking had gotten MUCH louder...it started stuttering and dying at idle and I had to try to keep it going...I only had 3 blocks left till I was home and I REALLY needed it to be at the house so I could work on it.....

I babied the HELL out of it and tried to get to the house, but a car slowed down in front of me so I pushed in the clutch and it just died....no stutter, nothing, jest stopped.

I coasted it to the side of the road and didnt even TRY to start it again...I have a feeling I threw a pushrod or two.

PLEASE tell me that all I should need to do is put the pushrods back in and maybe at MAX replace the rockers that may have problems, and it will be ok! PLEASE tell me I didnt just REALLY **** something up!

Also...how the **** do I get those damned rockers to stay tight???!!! I have had this issue for a while now but this is the worst so far...

They are the Crane Cams Gold Race Self-Aligning Aluminum 1.6 Roller Rockers...
Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

oh...I forgot to mention that I put it all back together first of course lol
Old 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the crane golds on my car, and have never had a problem with rockers coming loose. You do have poly locks correct?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Yes I do. and I tightened them all...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all bigger doesnt mean better when choosing a cam especially if its a street car... most of the time all a bigger cam means is the poewr range is higher and LT1 computers only rev so high anyways so its useless to have a cam that makes power from 5,500 to 7,500 rpms... to pick the right cam for your application you must look at your car as a whole and figure out exactly what you want out of your car... so many guys make the bad mistake of choosing some wild aggresive cam cause the dyno chart said it made more power but what they dont tell you is it makes that power for a split second and then you have to change gears and start over unless you can spin it to 8,000+rpms... unless you are doing 90% racing and 10% cruising or 100% racing choose a mild cam!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluebeast
first of all bigger doesnt mean better when choosing a cam especially if its a street car... most of the time all a bigger cam means is the poewr range is higher and LT1 computers only rev so high anyways so its useless to have a cam that makes power from 5,500 to 7,500 rpms... to pick the right cam for your application you must look at your car as a whole and figure out exactly what you want out of your car... so many guys make the bad mistake of choosing some wild aggresive cam cause the dyno chart said it made more power but what they dont tell you is it makes that power for a split second and then you have to change gears and start over unless you can spin it to 8,000+rpms... unless you are doing 90% racing and 10% cruising or 100% racing choose a mild cam!!!
Holy Cow did you read one word of this thread or just come in here and start ranting?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
I coasted it to the side of the road and didnt even TRY to start it again...I have a feeling I threw a pushrod or two.
Have you pulled a valve cover yet to see what happened? Are you sure you are running SA rockers or are they NSA rockers without guideplates and the damn things are all over the place? You should not have any problems with them backing off in any situation...especially with poly locks!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad luck > You.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Holy Cow did you read one word of this thread or just come in here and start ranting?
No joke...that threw me off. nowhere NEAR what was going on by ANY means
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Have you pulled a valve cover yet to see what happened? Are you sure you are running SA rockers or are they NSA rockers without guideplates and the damn things are all over the place? You should not have any problems with them backing off in any situation...especially with poly locks!
Not yet, the car had to be left on the side of the road...too scared to drive it right now. I'll have a buddy help me get it home and I'll check everything.

I KNOW they are SA. No doubt.

I know I SHOULDNT have a problem with poly locks, but for SOME ungodly reason I am...I KNOW I tightened those ******* down too!

Anyone want a 97 SS Camaro??? lol, jk
Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have open headers right now with no backpressure whatsoever...I am having an issue in 1st gear with my accelleration from a dig...It bogs like it has no low torque. Does not misfire, and top end is great. I have been told backpressure because they claim LT's need backpressure, then I was told backpressure does not matter, then I was told fresh air hitting my O2's, then I was told that wouldnt cause THIS issue...I am still working it out though. It is NOt staying open, I am trying to get the exhaust back on but I have been re-scheduled 3 times now. As soon as they get me in I will have full borla 3" exhaust on it with no CATs. Then I can find out whether "backpressue" or "O2's" are ACTUALLY my problem, or if its something a little more serious.
lack of exhaust and tune will definatelly kill low end performance, I know my car felt much quicker after I got my exhaust put on.

as for the cam specs, it's a good thing that guy never put the supercharger on, I'm sure it would've been a very poorly matched setup
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

well with the exhaust back on it didnt make a difference. It was all rockers.

IT HAS A TUNE lol. read guys...It was tuned by madtuner for this exact setup.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't get so far into the thread when I was making the post, my point about the tune was that is was a mail order with a FULL exhaust in mind, so though you did have A tune didn't mean you had a correlating tune with the current setup 100%
Old 09-01-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not yet, the car had to be left on the side of the road...too scared to drive it right now. I'll have a buddy help me get it home and I'll check everything.

I KNOW they are SA. No doubt.

I know I SHOULDNT have a problem with poly locks, but for SOME ungodly reason I am...I KNOW I tightened those ******* down too!

Anyone want a 97 SS Camaro??? lol, jk
Did you adjust the rockers or tighten them down???

There is a huge difference.

Mike

Quick Reply: Was told this is a monster cam by some, and its not by others...