LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

about to replace blown head gasket need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default about to replace blown head gasket need help

what do I need. head gasket,valve cover gasket,manifolds what else please. sorry I'm such a noob
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a gasket kit from ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fel-P...Q5fAccessories

sorry for the big address
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanls but how about some new bolts?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

i done 3 head gasket jobs last month on lt1's and i used same bolts but replaced exhaust manifold bolts.. if you have factory exhaust manifold bolts i would suggest putting new ones in. after time they get weak and will break off in the head.. dont want that to happen.. the bolts are 3/8(size)-16(thread).. and make sure to get your heads surfaced before putting them back on.. good luck
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

/\ /\ /\ /\ he said it pretty well. i would suggest new bolts and long tubes. i mean hell you gotta pull them anyway might as well. lol and a word of advice do both the gaskets. IMHO if one fails then the other isnt gonna be to far behind.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

you will need to replace the stock bolts, with either new fACTORY REPLACEMENS, OR ARP'S. sorry for the caps... biggest thing is to a) make SURE you remove all old gasket material. This is very important. b) you MUST retap the head bolt threads. Our head bolts go into the water jackest, and therefore all bolts have sealant on them. This needs to be removed or you will not get the proper torque to the bolt when re-installing the heads. Any hi temp sealant (silicon based) should work fine. I used the black permatex rtv.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

/\/\/\ definitely change both.. you gonna save major money doing the job yourself but it is a handful... i charge no less than $400 to do one..
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
b) you MUST retap the head bolt threads. Our head bolts go into the water jackest, and therefore all bolts have sealant on them.
Don't run a tap through those. You want to use a thread chaser. A tap will cut out metal, and you don't want that.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok look buddy. ive pulled literally hundreds of heads and im only 20 i mustve pulled my LT heads 30 times between rebuilds swapping cars. head gaskets, whatever. and i have never done anything but when it was unbolted i blew it out with comp. air or just left it out. if you dont pack dirt or anything in the threads then you will be fine. dont run anything into your heads. ecspecially if they are aluminum you will **** those threads up in a heartbeat. im not saying im perfect or always right but look at experience and ask more people around
Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
ok look buddy. ive pulled literally hundreds of heads and im only 20 i mustve pulled my LT heads 30 times between rebuilds swapping cars. head gaskets, whatever. and i have never done anything but when it was unbolted i blew it out with comp. air or just left it out. if you dont pack dirt or anything in the threads then you will be fine. dont run anything into your heads. ecspecially if they are aluminum you will **** those threads up in a heartbeat. im not saying im perfect or always right but look at experience and ask more people around
There are no threads in the heads, so not sure what you're talking about here. If you've pulled hundreds of heads I'd think you'd know that - threads are in the block, which is iron.

And I have to ask, what are you doing that requires you to pull your heads off 30 times?!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

lol

And I have to ask, what are you doing that requires you to pull your heads off 30 times?! [/QUOTE]
Old 10-16-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

so how do you secure the exhaust to your heads? do they just hold themselves in there? well considering ive been throught about 9 motors. a 3 due to a shitty build. 2 due to being stock. another was my first LT1 i compeltey tore done to understand what was going on and all that. had to pull the head 4 times inside the cars multicars. and a few on other peoples cars cause of H/C swaps. and a few cause people blew the headgasket. ok im sorry i might not be exactly 30 but you get the idea. ive done it a few times. and i had everything from the bolts breaking in the block, header bolts breaking in the head, down to stripping the head off a bolt on the exhaust trying to get it off
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I did my heads last year.. One of the most overlooked parts of the job is also the easiest. Make sure you organize all the stuff you remove. Bolts, parts that will be re-used, etc. Place everything in individual baggies and label them. Also, store the pushrods in the same order you removed them. Make sure you have all gasket surfaces clean (I use brake parts cleaner and a brillow pad) and spray some WD-40 in each cylinder if they will be exposed to the elements for a bit of time (so they don't get any surface rust). Make sure you use a thread chaser for all the head bolt threads in the block (to clean them out). Have a machine shop check the heads and freshen them up (clean them, valve job [if necessary], resurface, etc). I would not suggest re-using the factory head bolts being that they are torque to yield (TTY) and will expand and strip out the threads in your block if they are over-torqued, or used numerous times. Just pick yourself up a good set of ARP head bolts and a gasket kit (I personally used the GM impala heagasket [0.029 in thickness] and a fel-pro intake manifold/exhaust manifold gasket set. If you have any specific questions when doing the job, feel free to PM me. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
so how do you secure the exhaust to your heads? do they just hold themselves in there? well considering ive been throught about 9 motors. a 3 due to a shitty build. 2 due to being stock. another was my first LT1 i compeltey tore done to understand what was going on and all that. had to pull the head 4 times inside the cars multicars. and a few on other peoples cars cause of H/C swaps. and a few cause people blew the headgasket. ok im sorry i might not be exactly 30 but you get the idea. ive done it a few times. and i had everything from the bolts breaking in the block, header bolts breaking in the head, down to stripping the head off a bolt on the exhaust trying to get it off
No one said anything in this thread about exhaust manifolds. The argument is about head bolts.

And if you've had to do that much work, it sounds like you aren't exactly keen on what you're doing if you're constantly breaking bolts off in the block, head, stripping, etc. (especially if they've been off before ).

Honestly it sounds like you're making **** up as you go. JMHO.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'll add something that a friend of mine said to me when I was doing mine. Why don't you pocket port the heads while its apart? Why not replace the factory pushrods while you're in there. How about some 1.6 roller rockers....

Then again, you could just change the head gaskets.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

never a bad idea to re-torque your heads after a few heat cycles either. fwiw.

oh, for organizing, i like to trace around my old head gaskets while on a large enough box. i then punch the holes out for the pushrods and viola, idiot proof organizing.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
No one said anything in this thread about exhaust manifolds. The argument is about head bolts.

And if you've had to do that much work, it sounds like you aren't exactly keen on what you're doing if you're constantly breaking bolts off in the block, head, stripping, etc. (especially if they've been off before ).

Honestly it sounds like you're making **** up as you go. JMHO.
ok im sorry for going off on a tangent i didnt realize that, i guess i just wasnt paying attention. and honestly i really dont care if you think im making **** up as i go. i never said everytime was to pull the same set of heads. i broke two bolts off the same head after soaking them in PB blaster and everything so i had to drill it out and tap it. the stripping the head off the bolt yes my dumbass fault cause i got a swivel on my 18v impact gun and was dumb and just hit the gun and the socket wasnt on all the way. yes my dumbness. and i never said i constantly break bolts or constantly strip them. im sure everyone on here has stripped or broke their fair share of bolts throughout working on a car.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

might want to take the heads to a machine shop and check for distortion cracks imo, better safe than sorry
Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

/\ /\ /\ X2 hyrdoflux the heads? thats like the techonological term right? (Myltwon) im not trying to be a dick or anything im just curious if im right but definatly a good suggestion if you have the funds and affordability to have the car immobile for that much longer.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not to confuse anyone, I do believe the correct term is magnaflux. It will clean the heads very well, and for a few extra dollars is well worth it. If you are putting headers on, I would buy some arp studs, or some better bolts....otherwise they will loosen up and you will have to check them often.

Quick Reply: about to replace blown head gasket need help