LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTCC help please... (did a search with no results)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LTCC help please... (did a search with no results)

hey guys i did a search for these questions i have regarding a used ltcc system i bought, but came up empty handed. I also replied to a current thread and got no responeses so here is what i asked in the other thread.... thanks for any help that is given... btw. this is an older ltcc i believe with the coil harness as part of the ltcc harness it self it does not use a factory coil harness....

hey ltcc guys... i have two questions about installing the system.... 1st question is common sense but i have to ask anyway.... they numbered the separate coil plugs (older style ltcc i believe) they are 1 through 8... do i just clip those in the cyl number order which is all evens on the pass side and odds on the driver side... or do i somehow use the fireorder... its confusing me for some reason.... and my other question is there is the opti plug on the harness and i see the 2 wires that splice into factory stuff.... what about the other connector that is right next to the opti plug... where does that connect too? thanks for any help guys... a pic of the firing order would probably help a litttle... i just want to make sure i get it right... thanks again
Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC the coil numbers are based on cylinder position so odds and evens....firing order is 18436572...if you can a pic will help figure out what connector you're talking about
Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try contacting Bob Bailey Engineering, he's the inventor of the LTCC so I'm sure he can answer any questions or issues you have.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

1 goes to 1. 2 goes to 2 and so on. i am not sure how old yours is but i had 2 extra wires to connect. 2 pinks to the 1 pink off the coil and one white off the icm. to the white on the ltcc. might be vise versa as far as which color comes from which factory device. my instructions are in the shop, if you need it i can get them tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so its deff evens on the pass side and odds on the driver side... got it!... i know about the 2 wires to splice but there is two actual connects.. one goes to the opti harness but im not sure where the other one goes... i can take pics tomarrow if needed... thanks for the help guys
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

yeah throw a pic up and we can go from there. i love mine works great and easy to find any ign problems. make sure to seal the opti up. you dont need water getting to the opti pickup
Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

subscribing......
Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The left side (drivers side) of the car has cylinders 1, 3, 5 and 7, front to rear. The right side is 2, 4, 6 and 8, front to rear. The two wires splice somewhere in the harness to the original coil, one for + power and one for trigger. As I recall, you needed to up the amps for the ignition fuse. It should all be in the installation pages. How did you make out mounting the coils?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

there are two opti harness connections on the LTCC harness. when you disconnect the OPTI harness take one side connect the two ends you have in your hand and connect the LTCC harness to those connectors.one to the opti and the other to the old engine harness.

You can download the instructions on Bob Bailey's website.

1) Attach white wire from LTCC harness into white harness that fed the old coil

2) Attach pink wire from LTCC harness into both of the pink/black wires that fed the old coil

3) Connect the LTCC harness into the opti harness connector on the passenger side of the engine.

4) Replace Ignition fuse under the hood to a 20 amp.

5) Discard existing ignition coil and Ignition Module. They are no longer needed.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wait i dont think i need to take a pic... do vented opti's and non vented opti's have two different plugs... there is two plugs in the same location with the same wires going to them... one is a male plug and other is a female.... one is the same plug that is on my opti harness... the other is the female plug that plugs into my opti harness... i figured it out.. thanks for the coil help guys.... hey paul did you ever get my message about mounting them... how did you have them mounted?? also are all the dials inside the unit set to neutral settings? i think i figure out how to mount them... i made some brakets and stuff... i havent mounted them or the kit yet becuase i dont have an engine to put them on yet... but hopfully next week that will change!! thanks again guys
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The settings were for no rev limiter, it should all be in the installation pages. Remember, your stuff has the LS2 coils and boost caps at each coil. My mounting was two tri-angular shaped plates of sheet metal with one corner bent at 90 degrees to bolt to go under the center valve cover bolts. I had 1/4 inch threaded rod running between them with the coils seperated by nuts. Here's a pic:
Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

To make the brackets, I used a blank 5 X 5 electricial box cover (it's really 4 11/16 square). Us fabricators sometimes solve complex problems with simple answers. AND being an ex-master electrician helps
Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

good deal
Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

nice job paul. i just used a piece of sheet metal and made a cover over the fuel injectors. i might redo it after i get the bugs all worked out and make one like that. nice clean and small package.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i made brackets similar to yours paul using some 90* angle iron... well see how it works out... mine are spaced out though... one to each valve cover bolt... i remember you said you didnt set the rev limiter so thats good ill have that done in the tune... i was just checking becuase there is a like a retard switch too or somthing in there... i figured out that the ltcc just splices into the opti harness "so to say"... it connects to the opti harness and then connects back into the factory engine harness where the opti harness would usually connect too...i guess the PCM still needs to the signal too "duhhh" on my part hah...what are you running now paul on your car??
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm running whatever comes on a LS1 car-for now...
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh... ohh i didnt notice you went ls1 haha... aight well thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it!!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

the retard switch is for nitrous. if your not running nitrous or have timing controlled in a nitrous tune you do not need to hook this connection up. I beleive it is a white wire.

I also told you in post #9 what to do with the opti wires. guess you overloooked it.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

From the LTCC installation guide:
===================================
E – 2-Step Trigger Input (Yellow) > Switched + 12V, energize this input to activate the two step or retard.
F – EST input from PCM (White) > @ Ignition module.
Connect the Pink Wires to the Pink w/Black trace wire that formerly fed the LT1 single coil.
Some models use a pink wire here. Verify 12 Volts key-on to feed the pink LTCC wires.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
From the LTCC installation guide:
E – 2-Step Trigger Input (Yellow) > Switched + 12V, energize this input to activate the two step or retard.
F – EST input from PCM (White) > @ Ignition module.
Connect the Pink Wires to the Pink w/Black trace wire that formerly fed the LT1 single coil.
Some models use a pink wire here. Verify 12 Volts key-on to feed the pink LTCC wires.
I knew it was one of them or at least a light color. I'm not neven close to my truck to check so had to go by memory. thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: LTCC help please... (did a search with no results)