LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

timing chain question...and cam installation Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain question...and cam installation Q

I'm installing a new cam into a new motor and the motor is a 93-94 lt1 timing chain. I'm installing a reground cam from a 97 and I was wondering if I buy a new chain, can i mix the sprockets: Basically, can I use the 97 camshaft sprocket with a new chain and the 93-94 crankshaft sprocket? I do have the 97 timing chain cover.

I wasn't sure if the teeth count were different or if the chain and sprockets had a different width. I'd like to only buy a new chain and call it good. The sprockets all look good to me.

Also, when installing the cam and lifters and everything, are there certain steps I should follow. I already installed the cam, I just lubed it with a little bit of oil and slowly pushed it in. I obviously don't have the timing set up or anything because I still need to buy a new chain and I haven't reinstalled the lifters or anything yet.

I've heard some things about pumping up the lifters with oil and I'm not sure what I should be doing. And should I try to drain the lifters of all the old oil?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do not mix timing chain parts. Buy the whole set and replace it as a whole. The parts wear into each other, and you will get premature wear if you just replace the chain.

I didn't pump up my new lifters, but I did clean them very well. Soaked them in mineral spirits and dried with compressed air, then gave them a light coat of oil before installing.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the teeth and everything is the same. i would just buy a new one
Old 11-25-2009, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yep just replace the whole timing set it will be worth it. Also yes clean the lifters with spirits then soak them in a nice light 5/30 for at least 24 hours then pop them in.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

If you are running a non-vented opti, you cannot use anything but the cam gear for it. That means a late model cam gear won't work (it won't turn the opti).
Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 93-97 crank sprocket is the same. You must use a early style cam sprocket. Get all new parts, never reuse timing parts.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I'm using the late style cam sprocket because I will be using my 97 reground cam with the long dowel pin and I'm using a timing chain cover from a 97 and I'm using a vented optispark. I just needed to know if there was a variance in the thickness of the sprockets or something weird.

Tell me why I should replace sprockets if there is nothing wrong with them? The chain I understand, but not the sprockets.

BTW, what the heck is spirits? Do they sell that at an auto parts store?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You replace the sprockets due to the fact that they wear with the chain. It is extra insurance when doing a project like that. Why not spend the extra $100 or so to be safe?

Mineral spirits may be available at the parts store, if not any hardware store will have it in the paint section.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The 93-97 crank sprockets are exactly the same. You cannot eyeball wear on the sprockets. LT1s suffer enough from timing chain slack and new sprockets and chain are the best solution. If you put a new chain on old sprockets, the chain will immediately begin to wear to the pattern in the old sprockets. Is that what you really want?

Quick Reply: timing chain question...and cam installation Q