LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

smoke coming from underneath hood!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke coming from underneath hood!

Whenever Im at a redlight i notice very faint smoke coming from underneath the hood. My coolant gauge would be right on the second notch so I know its not overheating. But everytime i get out the car to check, the smoke would stop almost instantly, leaving me clueless. But I do smell oil burning but why would it smoke though?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

Check your valve cover gaskets for leaks, they'll go right onto your exhaust.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car did that once. It was a small leak at one of the factory heater hose clamps. That doesn't explain why it smells like oil tho.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS#502
Check your valve cover gaskets for leaks, they'll go right onto your exhaust.
thanks i never even thought of that! if thats the problem then how do I replace them?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by t/afrom504
thanks i never even thought of that! if thats the problem then how do I replace them?
4 bolts hold down each valve cover. The size of the head is 3/8.

Simply remove the hose connected to the throttle body from the valve cover (there is a 90 degree plastic elbow on the passenger side, detach the hose from it).

Remove bolts, gaskets will either be sitting on the heads, or sat inside a grove made for them to seat in. Remove them, replace with new ones.

I used a very fine dab of RTV in the groove of the valve covers just to keep them held in place for when turning them over to put them back on.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M6 or auto? I had a leak in my clutch hydraulic line and everytime I would sit at a stop with the clutch pressed in it would leak onto the DS header smoke and smell like buring oil. Id get out of the car and since I would let off the clutch and put the car in neutral there was no pressure in the line and it wouldnt leak or smoke. It was really pissing me off for a minute.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ADM
4 bolts hold down each valve cover. The size of the head is 3/8.

Simply remove the hose connected to the throttle body from the valve cover (there is a 90 degree plastic elbow on the passenger side, detach the hose from it).

Remove bolts, gaskets will either be sitting on the heads, or sat inside a grove made for them to seat in. Remove them, replace with new ones.

I used a very fine dab of RTV in the groove of the valve covers just to keep them held in place for when turning them over to put them back on.

Good luck.
Don't forget he'll need to remove the alternator for the passenger side!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Don't forget he'll need to remove the alternator for the passenger side!
Sorry, forgot all about that one lol its not a difficult job to remove it anyway, even for those who are technically/mechanically challenged.

Please DISCONNECT the battery terminals before you start working on any electrical systems or components.

There is a one wire connector plug that connects to the alternator from the harness, remove it to avoid breaking the connector.

A 1/2" spanner to turn the tensioner pulley clockwise so you can pull the belt off.

The bolts on the alternator are 9/16 and 5/8 I believe. You will need a deep socket to hold the nut unless you have an offset spanner to hold it in place and use a socket and a small extension to open the bolt.

The rods that hold the alternator to the intake manifold and head are fastened to studs using 9/16 sized nuts. Use a deep socket for these.

Take your time buddy, and learn as you work
Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AChotrod
M6 or auto? I had a leak in my clutch hydraulic line and everytime I would sit at a stop with the clutch pressed in it would leak onto the DS header smoke and smell like buring oil. Id get out of the car and since I would let off the clutch and put the car in neutral there was no pressure in the line and it wouldnt leak or smoke. It was really pissing me off for a minute.
i have an auto so i know a clutch isnt the problem.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys, i took a quick look before going to work and I saw some oil dried up on the back corner of the drivers side valve cover. So im guessing the oil leaks on the manifold causing it to smoke. BUT, how do I get that one off with the AIR pump in the way?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have you checked the back of your intake?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

i did before the oil started leaking, i will check again just to make sure
Old 12-15-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be an oil leak from oil pan, timing chain cover, rear intake manifold, vavle covers, rear main seal, or coolant leak but something is leaking on the exaust causing the smoke.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im leaning towards something up top because your actually seeing smoke, valve covers or intake, i had a intake leak and it covered everything with oil underneath the car, and you could smell it burning the oil after a decent drive

Quick Reply: smoke coming from underneath hood!