LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

everyday drag radials?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everyday drag radials?

Is there such a thing as everyday drag radials? I'm in the middle of my build in case you haven't been on the site recently (just a hotcam/heads,1.6rr, springs,4.10's, and a 125 shot) and I have really bad tires, on my ugly *** 3-spokes, so I plan on replacing both at the same time (rims and tires), I wanna be able to hookup when I launch from 4k, however I cannot afford 3 sets of wheels (im keeping stock) so I need to be able to use them a few times a week (even in rain) till i find some cash for a honda civic (no rice, just need to save some gas) so I was wondering if there were some fat (wide) Drag Radials and rims that you more experienced guys could recommend to me, i want the rear wide (to stick out in the back) and the front pretty thin(not like the doughnuts), sites, suggestions, and tips/hints, would be very helpful! Thank you in advance!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The everyday drag radials list is pretty short.

Nitto 555R
M/T ET Street
BFG G Force DR
Toyo DR

The Nittos will last the longest, the BFGs are in the middle and the Toyos and M/Ts will last the shortest.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used Nitto's as a daily driver for years. They are fine for everything but snow. I've had sets last 15K, 13K, and 10K before needing to replace them. All dependent on how many trips to the track I did with each set.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Launching!

If you want grip go with MT. If you want something that lasts long go with Nitto. The others fall in between. I love MT tires and have used them on a weekend car that only sees 100 miles a week. Without doing burnouts the tires still have lots of tread and around 5k miles on them.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help you guys!! very very helpful!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

the mickeys hook like a cat on a screen door--- i love 'em
Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

I went to discount tire to get some nittos, but they talked me into the bfg because they were wider, and had more traction, for only $8 more I said sure, they run fine in the rain, just take it easy, but snow they spin idleing.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

I was running Nitto 555r's for a good while. They hook up alright for my M6 bolt on (granted they were a 245). I also had the M/T ET radial tire. A good tire - hooked up much better than the Nittos, but was less friendly for DD. In the rain, and other similar conditions the Nitto was the best for me.

If the car is an M6, a drag radial tire won't benefit you a whole lot, IMO. A bias ply, drag tire will suit you much better traction wise. I understand you want something that can be driven on the street, but nothing can beat the sidewall of a bias ply for a stick shift car...

If you are automatic, no problem I would say. A drag radial should suit you really nicely. I would just recommend going with at least a 275.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Launching!

I had a set of BFG before the MT's and i dont know if i had a bad set or what but they absolutly sucked. 275/50-15 on a turbo 4 cyl and was spinning them from a 2nd gear roll and a touch in 3rd. Heating them up didnt help too much either. That car only had 400tq. I wouldnt put them on something with more tq than that. Once i put the MT's on, all traction problems were solved.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OneBadTA
If you want grip go with MT. If you want something that lasts long go with Nitto. The others fall in between. I love MT tires and have used them on a weekend car that only sees 100 miles a week. Without doing burnouts the tires still have lots of tread and around 5k miles on them.
Sorry to thread jack, but I find myself curious. You said 100 miles a week? So have you had these M/T's to the track yet at all on the 5k? Curious as I am considering either Nitto 555r 275/40/17 or M/T ET Street Radials for my car

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Sorry to thread jack, but I find myself curious. You said 100 miles a week? So have you had these M/T's to the track yet at all on the 5k? Curious as I am considering either Nitto 555r 275/40/17 or M/T ET Street Radials for my car

Thanks!
I have around 4k on my mt's and they still have some decent tread left, they've never been to the track but have had their fair share of burnouts
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

sorry, are you guys talking about the MT E/T streets???? i bought a pair and only put about 22 miles on them b/c everyone told me they would be destroyed on the street by dd'ing them, if not they are going back on now!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Really depends on how many miles you are going to put on the car. Is it really your Daily Driver? Or by "everyday" do you mean when its nice and you have another car to drive?

If it is really your DD, then I wouldn't put anything but Nitto's on it. If you really don't rag the ever living **** out of them, they will last 12K+. Hell, I had a buddy almost get 20K out of his Nittos DD'ing them, this was also with almost no track time on them.

Mickey's are GREAT, but DD'ing them will kill the tread. Be lucky if you get 5K out of them.

I will never again run BFG's. Unless they have changed them in the past 5 years, the first set I had wore like crap, hooked like crap, and felt like crap.

I have a set of Toyo's now, we will see how they do once all this snow melts.

I love the Nitto's for a DD, used to run them on my car (275 NT555 front and 315 NT555R in the rear) and they worked great for a 400HP Street Car. With some heat and a lower launch they would hook good on the street. Hell, I broke 2 10 bolts with them.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I love the Nitto's for a DD, used to run them on my car (275 NT555 front and 315 NT555R in the rear) and they worked great for a 400HP Street Car. With some heat and a lower launch they would hook good on the street. Hell, I broke 2 10 bolts with them.
What PSI did you run your Nittos on the street / at the track? I am curious as this April-October I will only have full bolt ons and maybe a cam-only setup through my built tranny and 3600 stall. I want the M/T's to hook, but being in college my immediate budget (have a lot of $ in savings) cannot afford replacing tires left and right. My car doesn't see rain very often at all so I'm not worried about that. Won't be at the track often either; but I do love me some racing out in the country side.

Also keep in mind that I have 17" ws6 wheels.. so 275/40/17 tire is what I will be getting and the car will be driven at the strip occasionally, on the street sometimes, and I do love cruising out to the lake 20 minutes away during the summer a lot

Last edited by marc97taws6; 01-12-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by big hammer
the mickeys hook like a cat on a screen door--- i love 'em
Good way of explaining the traction qualities of this tire
Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nittos will last the longest, and theyre as good as it gets for the streets with a DR. They do ok (i geuss) in rain, but if you have MT's and it starts raining, you might as well pull over!

and I've not had traction problems with nitto 555r's at the track ever...my buddy's vortech supercharged '00 SS never had an issue at all and we ran that thing 20+ times.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

What PSI did you run your Nittos on the street / at the track? I am curious as this April-October I will only have full bolt ons and maybe a cam-only setup through my built tranny and 3600 stall. I want the M/T's to hook, but being in college my immediate budget (have a lot of $ in savings) cannot afford replacing tires left and right. My car doesn't see rain very often at all so I'm not worried about that. Won't be at the track often either; but I do love me some racing out in the country side.

Also keep in mind that I have 17" ws6 wheels.. so 275/40/17 tire is what I will be getting and the car will be driven at the strip occasionally, on the street sometimes, and I do love cruising out to the lake 20 minutes away during the summer a lot
If I remember right, when I broke my rearends I was running around 18PSI, usually driving around I had them at about 25 but would drop them when I would race.

Being an automatic will help you out A LOT. My buddy, the one that got almost 20K out of them, had them on his 02 SS. The car went 12.8's all motor and 11.50's on the spray, and he ran the Nitto's. He eventually switched to Mickey's, but the only thing he noticed about them is that he could launch the car at a higher RPM and only dropped .01-.02 tenths.

Since your an A4 I would go with the Nitto's. You'll get way more life out of them than any of the other tires and on the street I think they will treat you just fine.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had multiple set of Nittos, MTs and BFGs. Nittos by far are the best all around DR. MT hook the best, BFGs just sucked and wore out the fastest.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Thanks!
I never managed to get to the track. There were used strickly on the street and some street races. I havnt abused them with burnouts so I can't comment how they last when heated up alot. They grip excellent under normal driving though.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since 275/40/17 Nittos aren't actually 275 tires (they seem smaller), what is the biggest size I can get on my stock 17" ws6 wheels?

Quick Reply: everyday drag radials?