LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pacesetter headers = bad craftsmanship

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default pacesetter headers = bad craftsmanship

alright got my headers in today..and wow,im so happy i didnt get coated headers..these are some of the most crappy headers ive seen to start here my problems with them

1. Paint was not fully dry and still is tacky to the touch
2. There is spots missing paint
3. On my pass side there is 2 tubes that they didnt grind smooth on the joints and just painted over
4. My colloctors are not true 3" collectors..my bullet mufflers can almost slide over them
5. The first 1" of the pipe to the flange is smaller then my reg tubes and what the header flange size is..so inside the header flange is a stepped section to make the connect and is just boogerd up and will need grinding to match my flanges
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
alright got my headers in today..and wow,im so happy i didnt get coated headers..these are some of the most crappy headers ive seen to start here my problems with them

3. On my pass side there is 2 tubes that they didnt grind smooth on the joints and just painted over
4. My colloctors are not true 3" collectors..my bullet mufflers can almost slide over them
5. The first 1" of the pipe to the flange is smaller then my reg tubes and what the header flange size is..so inside the header flange is a stepped section to make the connect and is just boogerd up and will need grinding to match my flanges
I have gotten a couple pair of pacesetter headers and never had an issue with them. Did you get them from a place that you can return them to?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

your suppose to be able to slide your piping/muffler onto the collector as its a "slip fit" collector. i have pacesetters and compared to my friends hookers they are way better. thinker metal, better welds, better fit up.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got them from speed-eng.com who also forgot my plugs..but the craftsmanship of these just shocked me..my headmans that i had on my last 4th gen didnt look like this..im not stressing these that bad seeing ill be only using them for a couple months before i swap to my race engine..just you figure you pay 300$ for a set of headers they wouldnt look like bobby jo at the local muffler shop slapped them together.

figure i would give people a heads up of what they might get.seeing i read good reviews on here about them and then got ****..the header flange is setup for a 1" 3/4s and they used what looks is a inch of 1" 5/8s to connect the flange to the 1" 3/4s tubes.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had plenty of issues with my pacesetters on my old lt1. The flange on the drivers side header was warped ever so slightly, and the collector + y-pipe never lined up easily. They also leaked like a siv. After ghetto rigging it to not leak and to finally mate up, I was happy with them. Next time I look into getting some longtubes, I'll be going with a different brand.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow93z
your suppose to be able to slide your piping/muffler onto the collector as its a "slip fit" collector. i have pacesetters and compared to my friends hookers they are way better. thinker metal, better welds, better fit up.
there no sliding my 3" bullets on them which are a true 3" deal..i have 3" 2 bolt clamping bands i was going to use to connect the headers to the mufflers but now i fear the .15 diffrence in size might not put them on tight enough as i want so they dont end up sliding off if i bottom out.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm completely happy with my used coated Hookers that I got from a board member here. They must be 5 years old now and still look great and perform flawlessly.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues here,very satisfied with them....sorry you are having issues
Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

any of you guys headers not have the welds grinded down on the pass side..mine is right after the 90 on the first pipe..probley like 5" of tube down from the flange and then theres another one mid legth done on the #6 tube..just completly not grinded down and not nice welds..the inside of the flange ill def have to grind down seeing its a restriction
Old 01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

If you can't get the clamps to work, I used aluminum sheets and aluminum tape. It helped gap the problem areas.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

What do you expect for cheap crap?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

I dont remember having any of those issues. Seems like you just got a bad set. My collectors and y-pipe fit fine.

Plus, you do realize the black paint that comes sprayed on them will burn off once the engine runs for a bit. All that paint is used for is to keep them from rusting while sitting on the shelf.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

1. The paint they coat them in is simply a rust preventative and you should strip them and re-paint them yourselves if you choose (part of the reason they are so affordable.
2. same as above
3. again sub $400 headers
4. Are you basing on inside diameter or outside diameter?

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I had plenty of issues with my pacesetters on my old lt1. The flange on the drivers side header was warped ever so slightly, and the collector + y-pipe never lined up easily. They also leaked like a siv. After ghetto rigging it to not leak and to finally mate up, I was happy with them. Next time I look into getting some longtubes, I'll be going with a different brand.
If you used the gaskets they provided then there is your problem. Good quality gaskets cost money and therefore will jack the price of the headers up if they are provided in the cost.

You can slightly adjust the headers to get the ypipe to meet up easier. Don't tighten any bolts up until everythings together and it'll make life much easier.

there no sliding my 3" bullets on them which are a true 3" deal..i have 3" 2 bolt clamping bands i was going to use to connect the headers to the mufflers but now i fear the .15 diffrence in size might not put them on tight enough as i want so they dont end up sliding off if i bottom out.
Again inside and outside diameters may have been the problem. What brand bullets were you using. I ran into this problem with dynomax bullits.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes i know the paint will burn off in do time..**** even my coated ones i had from before started to flake off...an yes they are crap..cheap well there in the same price range as headman or hookers...i wasnt going to spend 1k on headers seeing im about to do a lsx for 275 radial action an it will be done in some months..then ill spend 1k on kooks or lemons
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my pacesetter no problems here. but they are cheap and affordable they arnt going to be perfect. I blasted mine painted them with header paint and got better gaskets. never had a prob.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

I have pacesetters on my LT1 and my LS1(both coated). The LT1 set was decent for the money and everything went together well. The longtubes on my LS1 are great! They looked just as good as my buddys LG's he used on his Z06, not to mention they performed well on the dyno! I did purchase better gaskets for both. I think I would return them if you can
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

my mufflers are dynomax..only ones i run and they are a true 3" deal..the inside is a 3" deal..if i order a collector from jegs oe summit and it says 3" its 3 " like the bullets..these said 3" collectors and nothing about being not a true 3" deal so a 3" pipe can fit on them which that cant even happen with mine..lol i would return them but thats a month deal of fighting and dealing with **** when my other engine ill have done around may..so you see ill only have them for really march an april on the car..lol

ill post pics tomarrow of them
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

I have non coated pacesetter longtubes and 3"ory. I did get felpro header gaskets, and there were runs in the paint on the maiting surface, but other than they theyr awsome, and sound crazy through my 3" dumped moroso spiral flow.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont understand you must have got a bad set? i've bought 3 sets. 2 coated and 1 painted. yes the paint comes off nearly as soon as you crank it. but my 2 pair of coated ones do not show any signs of coating coming off. my welds are good, also no fitting problems and i am particular. sorry 4 you but i have had good luck with mine.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

They are pacesetters what were you hoping for. I never ever thought they were anything but a cheapo company.

Quick Reply: pacesetter headers = bad craftsmanship