LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why is my car Stuttering at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why is my car Stuttering at WOT?

First off for some reason it runs Alot harder in the cold mornings before its fully warmed up then it does when its fully wamred up. idk..

secondly my car at WOT starts to break up around 6k rpm. if i leave it around half throttle it doesnt break up. i dont think its valve float because i have brand new patriot extreme springs in there. even tho it started just after i replaced them, but i cant see them being the problem. opti/coil/wires/plugs are all brand new along with everything for the fuel system. does anyone have any input ? i usually shift it at my redline which is 6700 but if im flat out i can barely just hit 6000 its driving me insane!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same prob here bro... Im beginning to think its my opti harness.. it helps it sometimes when i unplug and plug it back in..
lmk what u find out..

Kris
Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the ICM possibly
Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is your TPS? Have you checked to see if one of your throttle plates are sticking?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

i know you said you had fuel system done... 255? just curious because after i did this for my modded car it ran decent for awhile and then i began to understand why they say you need the wire kit for one of those pumps. yes they run fine for a stock to mildly modded car but once you get much over that they need more power than the stock wiring can provide. or at least thats what happened in my case... good luck and post up your results no matter what the solution! curious...
Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Have the valves been readjusted lately to make sure they are correct? I would pull a plug or two to check what it looks like are you running to rich to lean maybe loosing fuel pressure at wot hook up a gauge to it. Just throwing around a couple ideas.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Green3spd
Same prob here bro... Im beginning to think its my opti harness.. it helps it sometimes when i unplug and plug it back in..
lmk what u find out..

Kris
ill be sure to let you know. its been happening for about 2 month now and its really starting to bug me out...

Originally Posted by gregrob
Sounds like the ICM possibly
ICM is also brand new...

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
How is your TPS? Have you checked to see if one of your throttle plates are sticking?
TPS idk about. but ill be sure to pull it out check it out and clean it up before i put it back. my throttle plates are nice and smooth.

Originally Posted by proace4
i know you said you had fuel system done... 255? just curious because after i did this for my modded car it ran decent for awhile and then i began to understand why they say you need the wire kit for one of those pumps. yes they run fine for a stock to mildly modded car but once you get much over that they need more power than the stock wiring can provide. or at least thats what happened in my case... good luck and post up your results no matter what the solution! curious...
yes i have a 255. i remember reading up about the hard wire kit. i didnt even think about that when i installed it ill look up the kit later tonight and either buy it or make my own. thanks for the idea!

Originally Posted by derekderek
Have the valves been readjusted lately to make sure they are correct? I would pull a plug or two to check what it looks like are you running to rich to lean maybe loosing fuel pressure at wot hook up a gauge to it. Just throwing around a couple ideas.
yes my valves have been adjusted properly. even tho my #1 exhaust lifter feels like it bleeds out alittle to easily.... my car does run rich at times. ill find out where i can get the guage to hook up to my fuel rail and make sure its within nominal specs.

thanks alot guys for all the ideas and tips! i really appreciate it. im going to try to get around to testing all of them out this week sometime. i hope all my problems lie somewhere in one, if not all of those things. thanks again!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

this happened to me when i had a screw come off of my opti. did you locktite your rotor screws?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 86formula
this happened to me when i had a screw come off of my opti. did you locktite your rotor screws?
yes i did. the opti is brand new. anything other then 6k rpm and above its fine.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

You say it runs better before its warmed up maybe the O2's are fried?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well mine comes and goes..
Old 01-24-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by derekderek
You say it runs better before its warmed up maybe the O2's are fried?
i dont red line it when its cold but it pulls real hard. i cant quite explain that one. o2's are acdelcos and relatively new

Well mine comes and goes..
yesterday it didnt do it for 2 pulls but then it started up again. i just want it gone!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
yesterday it didnt do it for 2 pulls but then it started up again. i just want it gone!!!
I feel ya.. I just pulled my car into the garage and killed all the lights and started my car...
Saw Arching coming from cylinder 6 by spark plug, wrapped it with some heat wrap Ive got laying around and drove it. Better but still there, came back in garage and check for Arching again, now I see 2-3 different spots from where the spark plug wires route around the alt. and through the wire routing path.. Ill have to pull them and check em' but I feel pretty confident that will be my problem...?

Kris
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I feel ya.. I just pulled my car into the garage and killed all the lights and started my car...
Saw Arching coming from cylinder 6 by spark plug, wrapped it with some heat wrap Ive got laying around and drove it. Better but still there, came back in garage and check for Arching again, now I see 2-3 different spots from where the spark plug wires route around the alt. and through the wire routing path.. Ill have to pull them and check em' but I feel pretty confident that will be my problem...?

Kris
nope i have brand new MSD wires and i had bought brand new ACDelco wires to check and see if they helped but they didnt.

Quick Reply: Why is my car Stuttering at WOT?