LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Misfire, low oil presure and misc

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Misfire, low oil presure and misc

Ok, I just bought this car with a blown headgasket and the heads torn off of it. We cleaned the block up, had the heads pressure tested, and put new headgaskets on. The car is now running, but not the best.

The oil pressure once it warms up is setting a little more than halfway between the 0 and 20 psi mark at idle (if it were really this low, wouldnt the lifters be tapping?). When its cold at idle it sets at 42ish. We used 5w30 valvoline oil.

Next problem, its misfiring pretty badly. At idle, under load at low and high rpms, especially when hitting the gas in 6th gear.

Last problem, there is a sort of whine in the back of the car. It doesn't always do it, but when you take a right turn it always does it and when you take a left turn it quits. Sort of sounds like it could be a wheel bearing to me.

The car (according to preivous owner) has a newish (about 5k miles) water pump and opti, a new clutch, bbk headers and a flowmaster cat back, 4.10 gears and a rebuilt rear end.

It is VERY possible that we hooked something up wrong when putting the motor back together since we weren't the ones that took it apart. If any of you have any suggestions as to what any of these problems might, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by RawrImAMonster; 04-14-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

10 psi on a warm motor is pretty normal on an LT1
Old 04-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Really? I feel like the lifters would be clicking pretty badly at that point. It goes up to 40ish at 2000 rpms though, so I guess that seems fairly normal.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Mine reads Check Gauges/0 at hot idle and there's no tapping. Still need to replace that oil pressure sensor.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Ok well I guess the misfire is the main issue then. Any suggestions on what to look for on that. The sparkplugs are brand new, but not the wires. The opti and water pump (supposedly) have about 5k miles on them so hopefully its not that.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Anyone have any ideas, I really want to get this misfire solved. I'm excited to be able to drive it soon.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

does it have a check engine light? from what i understand, just because an opti is new doesn't necessarily mean its good. they are very touchy.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Teching In

No it didn't have one until i unplugged the maf earlier, but now it does because of that.

Edit: The misfire does seem to get a little worse once the engine has warmed up.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

as for your oil pressure 10psi per 1000rpm is acceptable by gm.

as for your misfiring, maybe nothing really was changed have you ever pulled the plugs to take a look? does it miss in all gears or just the higher loaded ones?

the whine could be a poorly installed gear set, or a sign it is about to fail. have you checked the diff?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RawrImAMonster
No it didn't have one until i unplugged the maf earlier, but now it does because of that.

Edit: The misfire does seem to get a little worse once the engine has warmed up.
i had sumwhat the same problem, check the spark plug wires for any cuts or burns
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
as for your oil pressure 10psi per 1000rpm is acceptable by gm.

as for your misfiring, maybe nothing really was changed have you ever pulled the plugs to take a look? does it miss in all gears or just the higher loaded ones?

the whine could be a poorly installed gear set, or a sign it is about to fail. have you checked the diff?
Alright, sounds like everyones saying that the oil pressure is ok. Good.

Like I said, we bought the car with the heads torn off of it and we put it back together so the spark plugs definitely are brand new.

Could a bad fuel filter or fuel pump cause a misfire like what I described?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

yes fuel not reaching the injectors, or fouling could cause it, cheapest first, filter and fuel pressure... gotta narrow it down as best you can

wet opti?
bad plugs?
bad egr?
vacuum leak? (doubtful)
check compression?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Miss is fixed it was bad plug wires. The car runs great now.

Now onto the rear end/wheel bearing/whatever noise.

This noise is a sort of whining that changes with speed. It gets noticeably worse during right turns and then usually disappears completely during left turns. Sometimes its there when you're just cruising in a straight line and sometimes its not.

SUPPOSEDLY the last owner rebuilt the rear end and spent around 800 in parts on it. So, I'm hoping the rear end isn't bad. I'll email him and try to find out what all he replaced exactly, but does anyone have any ideas for now?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Launching!

The whining coming from the rear def sounds like a bad installation on the gears. if it was the wheel bearing it would make a clicking noise when you turn the car not a whine, I believe.

Quick Reply: Misfire, low oil presure and misc