LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Supercharging my 95 lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging my 95 lt1

I have an 86 mazda rx7 with an lt1/6speed out of a trans am. motor has about 15,000 on rebuild. Head were ported, heavy duty valve springs/retainers, Comp 1.6 roller rockers. Comp mild cam, OEM crank, rods were hardened and new stock pistons were used. Hedman headers, Griffin radiator, electric water pump. Im sure im missing some stuff.

I have a vortech V-9 supercharger that Im going to fabricate some brackets and a tensioner for. Kit came off of my brothers car, but was on a miata. I will be running 8 PSi, and I am trying to figure what I will need to support this as far as fuel/tuning goes. I have a walbro 255 already, and the car runs pretty rich already. I will definately be installing an aem wideband as well. But my main question for you guys is What should I use to tune it with? Im trying to go as cheap as possible, but Still have it running right. trying to look at my options. Im pretty familar with Megasquirt ecus, as I had one on my last project car.

What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated. And Im well aware that I am running stock compression, but I think it will hold 7 or 8psi pretty well being that its a supercharger.

--Joel
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

anyone? what are some of you guys using to tune. I know I can use Tunercat but im unsure about tuning it with the supercharger with that....
Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by noskillz
anyone? what are some of you guys using to tune. I know I can use Tunercat but im unsure about tuning it with the supercharger with that....
I'd take a serious look at http://www.tunerpro.net/

its free....
Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a pretty small blower, I am not so sure you will get it to make 8psi on a bolton LT1.

Remember boost is basically a measure of how much air is NOT getting to the cylinders, make the engine move air with boltons and you can make more power on less boost.
Really though I think you are asking too much of too small a blower.. If you look at the Vortec LT1 kits they are based on V1 and V2 and that is the basic stuff for near stock cars.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
I'd take a serious look at http://www.tunerpro.net/

its free....

thanks for the link, looks pretty good! I will read into that a little more.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would try to drop the compression some how some way. Headgasket and maybe port the heads to get them bigger for lower compression. A stock motor wont take much boost, even with a great tune. I would really think things over before you make a move, most guys who have boosted motors end up with 383's.... U catch my drift?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Teching In

yeah, the heads are ported, and I think it has mls head gaskets, which are thicker than the stock head gaskets. Im almost positive it will hold 8psi. If it is tuned well i shouldnt have any issues. Now If I were to turbo it I would be tearing into it more so than for a supercharger.

Thanks for all the insight so far guys, any info is appreciated
Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With ported heads that baby blower will not be able to make 8psi.

Quick Reply: Supercharging my 95 lt1