LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. It's paid for (been that way for a LONG time).
2. It still has less than 70k miles on it.
3. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Well this thread is pretty pointless if you think about it. The TPI and LT1 served it's purpose for it's area and at that time it was the best thing since sliced bread. But now the LSX area has arrived. And guess what? We have all jumped on that band wagon too. But I do understand the underdog theology because we are all men and what do men do!? We love competition!!! Even though it's a GM product. I personally like the 3rd gen body style, but I like anything that's fast coming out of the Generals factory.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my LT1 because, i love how it looks and the deep throaty sound.

When i worked at Chevy dealers i use to road test customers modded LS1 fbody's and never really liked them enough to get one. I had more fun driving my LT1 Camaro on a daily basis, something about LT1 low end torque still gets me a adrenaline rush.

Last edited by LT1; 08-16-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deelong4002
This is a new one. Never heard of someone spending money on their LS1 camaro to make it look like an LT1.
yep, and it would be the FIRST thing I'd do to it if I got one.. but why have 2 nearly identical camaros? I'd get a TA if I were on the market for an LS1.. a fishermen cant be driving a car that looks like a fish!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Um mod for mod an LSx kills an LTx... it's not even close.
That's only because the LS1 has better heads from the factory...
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
That's only because the LS1 has better heads from the factory...
Oh geez, Margie...
Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I've noticed recently is that unless someone is building a drag car everyone is doing the same builds. AI 200cc or LE2. No one is being different. Where as the LS community is building different builds all the time.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
One thing I've noticed recently is that unless someone is building a drag car everyone is doing the same builds. AI 200cc or LE2. No one is being different. Where as the LS community is building different builds all the time.
The ls1 has gotten far better aftermarket support than the lt1 ever did. The heads on my lt1 were done by ARE 10 years ago. They are no longer around. Besides them and Lingenfelter, there were probably only a handful of lt1 specialty shops around.. The ls1s were getting aftermarket attention almost from day 1.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
I LOL and love how LT1 owners always claim to stomp on LS1 cars. Let's see some proof because I say 90% of this talk is bullshit and you enjoy hearing those words come out of your mouth because it makes you think you have a fast car.

LT1 based cars = high school kids who can't afford much other then this outdated shoulda coulda woulda wanna be poor design.
Typical LSx owner bullshit. I didn't buy my car cause its faster than so and so. I bought it cause it looked better than the LS1s and it sounds better too. Both opinions.

I don't race my car everytime I drive it so who gives a damn how fast it is day in and day out. I DO however hear it and look at it every time.

I could have bought 3 LSx cars, instead I opted for one car that was better in tune to what I wanted.

Typical LSx owners and their stupid bullshit irritates the **** out of me.

Shut the **** up with your holier than thou bullshit. It's ******* ridiuclous.

On a lighter note, I've thought multiple times about buying a newer f-body and swapping my exterior over to it if I ever went LSx... but I still can't stand the LSx exhaust.

Last edited by LSWHO; 08-16-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by big dave
The ls1 has gotten far better aftermarket support than the lt1 ever did. The heads on my lt1 were done by ARE 10 years ago. They are no longer around. Besides them and Lingenfelter, there were probably only a handful of lt1 specialty shops around.. The ls1s were getting aftermarket attention almost from day 1.
Very true, there is not a whole lot for the LT motors in the aftermarket. But there are more than 2 companies out there. Not saying they aren't good but when is the last time anyone did an LT4 setup? Or Dart/Trickflow? Id just like to see something other than the normal.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very true, there is not a whole lot for the LT motors in the aftermarket. But there are more than 2 companies out there. Not saying they aren't good but when is the last time anyone did an LT4 setup? Or Dart/Trickflow? Id just like to see something other than the normal.
I agree, I see stuff come and go. I would like to see some of these porters work their magic on some of these other castings. One thing I am excited about is some of the trickle down Ign and computing from the LSXs to the LTs. cant wait til I can afford it!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPMBdHf_3ss
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It takes just as much effort to make a LSx fast as any other application. LTx owners followed the same pattern as LSx people are now. One person tried X-camshaft with Y-springs and Z-mods and got what most thought were impressive numbers and vast amounts of people followed suit. It's not going to matter anyway w/in the next several months. The 2011 Coyote engine in the GT is going to crack all ***.

I don't get it. LSx cars are doing your times with heads/cam/stock style intake/full axles and stock displacement. What is there to reference?

Yeh, OK.....there are many GUTTED OUT RACECAR head cam LS cars doing it.....hell I am faster and put out more power than the majority of the 408 stroker LS cars. Around here or anywhere for that matter.

For that matter there are BOLT ON LS cars that run what yours does.

I like overhearing other people ask"That car still have an LT1 in it?"

I love both platforms, but it feels good to tell people mine still has a LT1 in the car with NO SPRAY.

Hell last year I raced a cam, bolt on, sprayed LS car from a roll on and walked him....mine aint made to do that.

The two platforms dollar for dollar are on equal ground, period.

Buy a $5000 LT1 car spend $2000 on bolt ons and a tune a smoke ANY stock nice $7000 LS car. If you can buy one for that....good luck with that if youve seen the classifieds on here.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by achotrod

on one stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Easy, I wanted a Comp TA. Comp Ta is what I found. I dont mind having an LT1. My LP is LT1 350
Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Yeh, OK.....there are many GUTTED OUT RACECAR head cam LS cars doing it.....hell I am faster and put out more power than the majority of the 408 stroker LS cars. Around here or anywhere for that matter.

For that matter there are BOLT ON LS cars that run what yours does.

I like overhearing other people ask"That car still have an LT1 in it?"

I love both platforms, but it feels good to tell people mine still has a LT1 in the car with NO SPRAY.

Hell last year I raced a cam, bolt on, sprayed LS car from a roll on and walked him....mine aint made to do that.

The two platforms dollar for dollar are on equal ground, period.

Buy a $5000 LT1 car spend $2000 on bolt ons and a tune a smoke ANY stock nice $7000 LS car. If you can buy one for that....good luck with that if youve seen the classifieds on here.
Here's the fastest n/a LSx list, how do you compare?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...s-any-c-i.html
Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I always try to be different. That's why I have an LT1 and not an LS1. I don't have LE or AI stuff either. There are other choices out there that perform the same or better if you choose your parts wisely. I'm knocking on 10's with a stock LT1 shortblock N/A, and I'm one motor part away from going well into the 10's. There's maybe one 4th gen LSx car in my area that has done that (studderin), there's another that's close but it's in an RX7 chassis that's light as hell. Most around here are T56 cars and they can't drive for ****. They like to be roll-racing heroes. When they do go to the track their ET's are all over the place, and they are bragging about their trap speeds like the Honda guys do. Maybe it's different where you guys are. The only LSx cars that run strong at the track around where I am are all boosted.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by joelster
I always try to be different. That's why I have an LT1 and not an LS1. I don't have LE or AI stuff either. There are other choices out there that perform the same or better if you choose your parts wisely. I'm knocking on 10's with a stock LT1 shortblock N/A, and I'm one motor part away from going well into the 10's. There's maybe one 4th gen LSx car in my area that has done that (studderin), there's another that's close but it's in an RX7 chassis that's light as hell. Most around here are T56 cars and they can't drive for ****. They like to be roll-racing heroes. When they do go to the track their ET's are all over the place, and they are bragging about their trap speeds like the Honda guys do. Maybe it's different where you guys are. The only LSx cars that run strong at the track around where I am are all boosted.
I didn't mean no one literally, I just meant in general. Not a whole lot of people picking and choosing parts you know? And i know what you mean about the LS cars. It seems like the more modded they become either they are really fast or slow as hell, there is no real middle ground. There was a Firehawk on autotrader a while back with a procharged LQ9 pushing 650 to the wheels. It ran a blazing fast 12.6. And in the last GM high tech there was another procharged LS1 TA pushing over 500 to the wheels running high 11s.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Those 408's that are doing your times are doing it extremely wrong. I mean there are cam only LS1 cars in the 11.0x range in the low 120's which are not GUTTED OUT RACECARs. You are delusional if you honestly think a LT1 can be compared to a PROPERLY BUILT LSx application.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder why I am not thinking so hard about why I keep my car. Reason is becuase I love it, and, give two ***** of what anyone has to say about it. Call me crazy but maybe some of you should start thinking like that too.

Quick Reply: Why are we still holding on to these dinosaurs?