LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 383 Build

Where and what are you guys using for your builds? I do want forged everything as well. I will be running a 150 nitrous plate kit. Also have le3 heads and intake coming. Going to have lloyd elliott do a custom cam. Waiting to hear back from him.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My setup - forged Ohio crank, forged Scat I-beams, forged SRP -5cc flat tops, Advanced Induction 200cc heads, mild HR AI cam, plus all the bolt-ons. Numbers in sig.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you kit cost?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What "kit" are you talking about?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lingenfelter built 383...4 bolt block, Lunati forged crank, Oliver billet steel 5.85" I beam rods, JE forged pistons...15 plus years, 54,000 street/strip miles, countless 1/4 mile passes...The anvil of small blocks...

--Alan
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ABA383
...The anvil of small blocks...
You're not joking, you could hit that thing with a cannon and it wouldn't break.

I'm using Ohio 4340 Crank and Rods, Keith Black forged pistons, billet splayed mains.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running Callies Compstar crank and 6" H-beam rods. Each are 4340 forged steel. The rods came with ARP 2000 screws. Pistons are SRP -16cc inverted dome 4032 aluminum alloy (it says mine are suitable for "mild" nitrous and boost applications - although according to SRP they said they have guys pushing over 800hp with these pistons without any problems). With my 11:1 compression they said I could easily spray 100-150hp shot of nitro. Anything more than that however (compression or N2O) you'd probably want to look at their JE pistons which are a different alloy.

My entire kit came from Callies (including the pistons) at a very good price. Balanced and stroker clearanced I think it ended up costing me LESS than the equivalent kit Eagle was quoting me (with their rods being I beams).

The Compstar line of parts are all off shore (China I think) forgings that are brought back to Callies in the US where they are finished off. I was a bit worried about these budget parts at first but they are in fact really nice pieces. As far as my builder was concerned he said it was all overkill and really good looking parts (he had originally scoped out the Eagle kit for me).

My block was a new-er F-body block from Texas that was bored for the first time (.030), square decked, honed, etc and machined with billet 4 bolt splayed main caps. Am running ARP main studs and head studs.

Cloyes true roller double roller timing chain, electric water pump conversion, new billet MSD opti, etc.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im the brother of that anvil to small blocks above lol

Callies Magnum Crank
Oliver Billet Rods
SRP Proseries 2618 Forged Side Relief Pistons
Howards Billet Steel Main Caps wit ARP Pro Series Studs

but on a realastic note for that setup your talking about id look into either an ohio forged or a scat forged crank or IMO the best bang for the buck in the callies compstar kits....Compstar Crank, Compstar HBeam rods and Mahle Pistons
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Hey wanted to ask ABA383 and quik95lt1 what kind of HP you guys are pushing? Quick95 I can judge from your 1/4 mile times that you've got to be upwards of 600 at the flywheel...

When I was looking into my rotating assembly my wish list (if I had the money to blow) was a Callies Racemaster crank, Oliver billet rods, and some crazy *** pistons I can't even recall. I think the racemaster crank costed more than the entire assembly I ended up buying!

But as you pointed out quick95, for the application Choppers is doing - myself included as well as probably 80% of other builds - a forged eagle kit or callies etc would be more than sufficient. That why I didn't feel bad not going with a dragonslayer or racemaster. If I remember correctly the only real benefit I would have seen with either of those cranks is less weight.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Hey wanted to ask ABA383 and quik95lt1 what kind of HP you guys are pushing? Quick95 I can judge from your 1/4 mile times that you've got to be upwards of 600 at the flywheel...

When I was looking into my rotating assembly my wish list (if I had the money to blow) was a Callies Racemaster crank, Oliver billet rods, and some crazy *** pistons I can't even recall. I think the racemaster crank costed more than the entire assembly I ended up buying!

But as you pointed out quick95, for the application Choppers is doing - myself included as well as probably 80% of other builds - a forged eagle kit or callies etc would be more than sufficient. That why I didn't feel bad not going with a dragonslayer or racemaster. If I remember correctly the only real benefit I would have seen with either of those cranks is less weight.
Yea the only reason i went with the magnum was because of the weight difference as well as the extra detail paid to the design and shape of the crank balancers........as for power i really dont know what it makes but based off of math it should be well over 600 at the flywheel.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1

I am ashamed to say that my combo only made 375 rwhp on a Mustang dyno a few years ago. That was through a Vig 3600 and a 12 bolt with 4.10s. I've never placed much stock in dyno numbers. I trap over 121 mph so I dunno what that means...I've since upped stall to 4000 so who knows whats going on...I will tell you that I overbuild everything. I know for my use that my shortblock is overkill, but its also lasted over 15 years and I was not easy on it at all. I also know that it could easily handle a 200 shot if I wanted to. Imho, it's worth it to spend a few bucks more on a combo that will be durable and last and grow with you if you change your combo a a later date. I'm a prime example of a higher cost up front, but smooth sailing ever since.

--Alan
Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Low 11's is a great time there Alan, and like the 120+ mph strap speed. I have no idea what my current setup will dyno and/or do at the track. At the end of the day I guess its the times that matter most.

I agree its good to overbuild to some extent now - or at least give yourself the flexibility. Some day down the road, maybe when my baby son is older and I am rich/retired (ya right! ha), I'll tear down my motor and build up a crazy solid roller that needs to be towed to the track. in such case I fully plan to use my existing block, crank & rods, and cylinder heads. I'd be forced to replace pistons due to my limited piston to valve clearance (I'd need custom pistosn for bigger cam) then rebalance the whole thing.

The best thing my engine builder got me to admit was that I planned to beat the snot out of my new engine. He said good - so we're going to build a motor that will be able to last you

Quick Reply: 383 Build