LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bent 2 Rods in my LT1 Stroker.. WHY

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus Christ ...... Stock springs to 918s ?!?! If 918s get recommended ONE
more time im gonna unleash holy hell of 918 failure threads !!! ******* pieces
of **** shouldve been discontinued after the first bad batches .....
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
Jesus Christ ...... Stock springs to 918s ?!?! If 918s get recommended ONE
more time im gonna unleash holy hell of 918 failure threads !!! ******* pieces
of **** shouldve been discontinued after the first bad batches .....
No issues with mine. They have to be installed just right. On my TFS heads I had to get special locks that raised them up just a little bit. That kept everything well within spec at full lift when we checked it with a solid lifter. The clearance was too close for comfort without the special locks. We also set my lash a very specific way. We tighten the rocker to zero lash, and then we just barely pre-load the plunger. It gets maybe 1/8th of a turn, nothing more than that. Show me any failure thread of ANY part, and I would be willing to bet that most of the parts were just bolted on without a care in the world. That could go for 918's. Comp has no idea what cylinder head their springs are going into. They give specific install heights but 99% of the LT1 guys just bolt them in without checking. Every cylinder head will have a different spring pocket depth. If you get a specific valve job you will raise or lower the valve height which can effect the coil bind. All this stuff needs to be checked. But it's easier to blame the company that made the part.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
Show me any failure thread of ANY part, and I would be willing to bet that most of the parts were just bolted on without a care in the world. That could go for 918's. Comp has no idea what cylinder head their springs are going into.
I am going to say you have NO idea about the 2 bad batches from Comp ,
them switching manufacturers to cheap mexican **** so they gain more $$$ ,
And the fact that Comp acknowledged they screwed up and had bad batches
and sent new spring sets out to the MANY MANY people who had them fail
........Including me . It was not an installation problem but a greed issue
on Comps side that cost people motors This happened twice !

Edit : Not trying to be a dick man sorry if I came off that way , Just a sensitive subject

Last edited by AZ2ENVY; 03-12-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

I am going to say you have NO idea about the 2 bad batches from Comp ,
them switching manufacturers to cheap mexican **** so they gain more $$$ ,
And the fact that Comp acknowledged they screwed up and had bad batches
and sent new spring sets out to the MANY MANY people who had them fail
........Including me . It was not an installation problem but a greed issue
on Comps side that cost people motors This happened twice !

Edit : Not trying to be a dick man sorry if I came off that way , Just a sensitive subject
I am aware of that. That was 4 or 5 years ago. I doubt if he runs to Summit to get them he will get one of those batches.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Before this gets too out of hand.Lets let the op know why the pushrods were bent: Incorrect geometry,and not enough spring,which caused valve float.Get a pushrod length checker and new pushrods and springs+retainers and the proper install height on the springs+ setting the lash correctly and it might live.And dont feed hungry dogs raw meat with comments such as whoopty doo thingy your just asking for it.Hopefully you are not a troll
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94z28
cant be belt tensioner i have the after market whoopdy doopdy belt tensioner!
Kick ***.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

I am aware of that. That was 4 or 5 years ago. I doubt if he runs to Summit to get them he will get one of those batches.
Yes it was but this same issue with Comp happened twice . Once
is forgivable , **** happens . Twice is unacceptable ...
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Before this gets too out of hand.Lets let the op know why the pushrods were bent: Incorrect geometry,and not enough spring,which caused valve float.Get a pushrod length checker and new pushrods and springs+retainers and the proper install height on the springs+ setting the lash correctly and it might live.And dont feed hungry dogs raw meat with comments such as whoopty doo thingy your just asking for it.Hopefully you are not a troll
Valve float alone probably did them in, if he has stock springs and all the geometry is more than likely fine.

I know nothing but "old school" SBC builders and none of them would do what has been done here.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Valve float alone probably did them in, if he has stock springs and all the geometry is more than likely fine.

I know nothing but "old school" SBC builders and none of them would do what has been done here.
An old school sbc guy would see that an LT1 is equipped with a roller cam from the factory. He might assume that putting in a different roller cam would be no big deal if they checked the install height and the clearance looked fine. Only a knowledgeable LT1 guy would know how weak a factory spring is. I'm not saying all garages would do this, but I could see many of them doing this.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

An old school sbc guy would see that an LT1 is equipped with a roller cam from the factory. He might assume that putting in a different roller cam would be no big deal if they checked the install height and the clearance looked fine. Only a knowledgeable LT1 guy would know how weak a factory spring is. I'm not saying all garages would do this, but I could see many of them doing this.
When I redo heads the first thing I do is take off the springs and throw them in the trash, then I look over the cam wether it be roller or square and see what springs it needs.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any good builder would know that a bigger cam requires better springs.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it was but this same issue with Comp happened twice . Once
is forgivable , **** happens . Twice is unacceptable ...
Well...Shut down American then lmao. I feel the same way but what are we to really do.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Stock springs and pushrods are not the way to go with a cam that large.
I'm not a fan of the beehives, but I have had good luck with KMotion 800 and Patriot Gold Extreme springs in my 383.
I had Comp 977s, but I broke 3 of them within a year on a little 224/230 cam.

Also, invest in a set of hardened pushrods (I like Comp Hi Tech)
Be sure to measure first so you get the right set.
Use one of the methods explained on Shbox's page
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves

Overtightening rockers is a great way to bend pushrods.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Well...Shut down American then lmao. I feel the same way but what are we to really do.
Buy from a different company that doesnt backdoor their customers
JMO of course lol
Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Not to be too obvious, but any place that knows old school sbc stuff can find ther way around a LT1. They have the same basic rotating parts and valve train.
Now if the heads were ported I'm sure the shop knows about valve springs and installed heights. I can only imagine these heads were hogged out with a die grinder and no experience also.
At this point it would be best to find someone with some experience and get first hand help. If the pushrods are bent it is most likely from contact with the pistons.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

buy my pac springs... they're grrrrreat!

i wouldn't run a kmotion spring in anything. ever. The only stuff i'll buy is PAC and PSI. Even the "nextek" stuff is just a name, they source those springs from several manufacturers that AREN'T based here.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mikes94z
Not to be too obvious, but any place that knows old school sbc stuff can find ther way around a LT1. They have the same basic rotating parts and valve train.
Now if the heads were ported I'm sure the shop knows about valve springs and installed heights. I can only imagine these heads were hogged out with a die grinder and no experience also.
At this point it would be best to find someone with some experience and get first hand help. If the pushrods are bent it is most likely from contact with the pistons.
He had a shop do it. lol keep reading around here about what happens when a shop that deals in Gen 1's and has never done a gen 2 before. Hell mine is on the engine stand right now for that very reason. Best bet is to not take the chances and just find someone who works on Gen 2 stuff.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

He had a shop do it. lol keep reading around here about what happens when a shop that deals in Gen 1's and has never done a gen 2 before. Hell mine is on the engine stand right now for that very reason. Best bet is to not take the chances and just find someone who works on Gen 2 stuff.
I say find someone thats not retarded to work on your engine I dont care what Gen it is. The clientel of a shop show what they know, if they are a turnarounf shop and work stickly on rebuilding pedestrian vehicles walk away, if they build hundreds of circle track and i mean serious circle track motors or have their own freaking teams then they know what they are doing, it has nothing to do with Gen 1 or 2 bullcrap.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

I guess my old school approach should have not netted me the results I have achieved.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS Sick
I say find someone thats not retarded to work on your engine I dont care what Gen it is. The clientel of a shop show what they know, if they are a turnarounf shop and work stickly on rebuilding pedestrian vehicles walk away, if they build hundreds of circle track and i mean serious circle track motors or have their own freaking teams then they know what they are doing, it has nothing to do with Gen 1 or 2 bullcrap.
Don't know about you but we don't exactly have shops pooring out circle track engines any more. They closed all of our tracks and even when they where here they would not touch a walk in street engine for a min 6 months or untill the season ended. so if they don't work on them alot how in the hell are you supposed to trust them? Again This is why mines on the stand right now. It came out of shop in North GA that does exactly what you are talking about. I gave him free reign last winter after waiting 6 months to build me a short block with LE2 heads and custom cam. It DOES come down to someone who knows how to build what they are building.

Quick Reply: Bent 2 Rods in my LT1 Stroker.. WHY