LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How Should I Kill My Resonation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How Should I Kill My Resonation?

I just replaced my Hooker Aerochamber muffler + vibrant bottle style resonator yesterday with Hookers Maxflow muffler and Vibrants Ultra quiet resonator. My goal was to make my car as Quiet as possible. Doing the swap did indeed Quiet the car down a good bit, but now i have Horrible resonation at 2-2500 rpm (which is cruising speed for me)

My car has ebay LT's with no cats, a high scavaging Y pipe and the Maxfloow and resonator. How should I go about trying to get rid of it ? Ive read up all i can and i was thinking about getting either another resonator, or glass pack and put it in the 'I' pipe. any thoughts ?

Heres a picture of the exhaust how it is now. sorry for the crappy picture
Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say the resonator in the I should do quite a bit towards what youre wanting to do.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS Sick
I would say the resonator in the I should do quite a bit towards what youre wanting to do.
Thats what im thinking too. I just like hearing what everyone has to offer. I might stick one of These in there.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

any other suggestions ?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

theres a 3in magnaflow bullet in the parts classifieds.

Any sound clips as is?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Verz
theres a 3in magnaflow bullet in the parts classifieds.

Any sound clips as is?
Thanks for the heads up. I actually saw that earlier. I want to try to make sure a bullet will help my situation out first before i jump on anything.

I do not have a sound clip of how it is right now, but ill try to get one tomorrow... Its really deep sounding, Sounds Great! If it want for the damn resonation id be completely happy with it
Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

They allways say the farther a restriction is from the motor the less effect it has on power, but I have yet to see some good resonator tips.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS Sick
They allways say the farther a restriction is from the motor the less effect it has on power, but I have yet to see some good resonator tips.
It makes sense. Im just worried about how it is resonating. They say it should be at a certain distance to get rid of the resonation effect.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a 3 inch Powerstick in the I pipe, mounting it "against the grain" and I would say that it will help out a lot. I had one in my I pipe with long tubes, ORYP and a GMMG system and it works well.

Here is the link to the Powersticks
http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coworker has a Miata with a stroked 302 and dual staright through Magnaflow mufflers. Thing droned horribly around 2K RPM. He put a pair of classic chambered mufflers on prior to the mufflers and it did help only a little and is still too loud IMO. Maybe the resonators would have worked better.

For what ever reason, my TD's have no drone at those RPMs. I guess I just got lucky on the design.

Call that guy at Classic chambered and talk in depth with him. I did once, he is very good to work with.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Launching!

I have the easiest fix for you, call summit racing and buy a Car Chemistry 2 disc insert and install it but the y-pipe/cat back junction. I swear by these, I run just 1 3disc insert and the rest is all straight pipe, I have no resonating sound at all, it's loud when I get on it but quiet at cruise. Later,
Steve.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

glad to see you like the sound of the maxflo... more people need to try them, they are a very deep sounding muffler and pretty quiet as well my 4" setup is for sale actually... doing dual 3.5" vibrant muffs off the collectors now, it ain't much of a street car anymore
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought about trying to re-rout the exhaust, it might help remove the resonation at that rpm.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the replies guys! Ive been busy and havent had time to respond.

I actually did have a classic chambered muffler in my I-pipe. but took it out because i wanted to redo all the piping for that and my cutout. It still had the same affects.

Ive driven the car Alot more and noticed that the resonation has died down abit! but im still aiming to have it alittle better and alittle quieter.

insanez, Thanks for the advice. Im going to look into that 3-disc setup alittle more. I wonder if thatll work at the end of the I-pipe behind where my new cutout is going to be

Quick Reply: How Should I Kill My Resonation?