LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wiring warning lights for electric waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring warning lights for electric waterpump

Okay after doing some digging and searching around I have found this diagram for wiring up warning lights for pump fuse failure or ground failure.

After looking at the diagram, I can see how the led would come on if the ground fails, but I cannot figure out how the led for the fuse failure could come on when the fuse fails.

After reading some more about it, people said that if you just follow the diagram it would work. So over Christmas break I followed the diagram the wired up the two leds. Sure enough, when I removed the ground, the faulty ground led lit up, but when I removed the fuse, the fuse failure led never lit up.

Its possible that I might have mis-wired something or that one of my connections came loose, but even then just by looking at the wiring diagram I have my doubts that this diagram is indeed correct.

Has anybody else used this diagram or one similar and had success?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never wired mine in because I always check my gauge but now I'm curious as well.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Surely somebody has some input on this.

For the ground failing led, here is what I've come up with. When the ground is connected, the current will flow straight to the ground, and bypass the led and resistor since the current wants to take the path of least resistance. When the ground fails, the current is forced to go through the led/resistor node, and thus the led lights up.

Still can't figure out how the fuse failure led works though, so if anybody is good with circuits and wants to explain, chime in!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to have a warning light for mine as well, I just wish that they made a plug and play because I'm terrible at wiring.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pooogy
Surely somebody has some input on this.

For the ground failing led, here is what I've come up with. When the ground is connected, the current will flow straight to the ground, and bypass the led and resistor since the current wants to take the path of least resistance. When the ground fails, the current is forced to go through the led/resistor node, and thus the led lights up.

Still can't figure out how the fuse failure led works though, so if anybody is good with circuits and wants to explain, chime in!
The LED is lit by the "Hot when ignition turned on" wire. The 12 volts to the pump turns it off by powering the other side of the LED. IF the 12 volts goes away it lights. Not the best circuit design, but it will work.

Al
Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
The LED is lit by the "Hot when ignition turned on" wire. The 12 volts to the pump turns it off by powering the other side of the LED. IF the 12 volts goes away it lights. Not the best circuit design, but it will work.

Al
exactly im not crazy about that design..........any more than a .7V voltage difference between the pump feed wire where you tap in and the feed to the LED will forward bias the diode off the feed line and cause that LED to come on very dim.............but again.....it will work
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
9 Second Club

you can do it this way too.........its easier and all you need to do is get yourself an extra small relay.........just make the connections to the pump wires close to the pump you you keep yourself protected better..........pretty simple

personally id do it with a current sensing circuit thats the best way but no need to start building circuitry and soldering transistors and crap for something simple like this......
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I would love to have a warning light for mine as well, I just wish that they made a plug and play because I'm terrible at wiring.
i could def make something plug and play
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

I know this is going to sound crazy, but why not just have an LED that turns on when the CTS reaches a preset temp?
I mean if your car normally runs at 160-180*, and you hit 210, there's a problem somewhere.
You don't have to wait until you hit 250* to start investigating.
You could even have a green LED inline with the pump to let you know that it's running;
not that they're all that hard to hear with the engine off/key on.

That said, my stock WP lasted about 30k miles
My EWP has been on the car for 5 years without issue.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by James Montigny
I know this is going to sound crazy, but why not just have an LED that turns on when the CTS reaches a preset temp?
I mean if your car normally runs at 160-180*, and you hit 210, there's a problem somewhere.
You don't have to wait until you hit 250* to start investigating.
You could even have a green LED inline with the pump to let you know that it's running;
not that they're all that hard to hear with the engine off/key on.

That said, my stock WP lasted about 30k miles
My EWP has been on the car for 5 years without issue.
i agree i think a warning light for too high of a collant temperature is a better idea.......if the pump dies its going to be a very short amount of time till the coolant temp spikes.........this is what im doing with mine right now.......i just got the autometer ultra lite gauge with the built in warning light that u can set at whatver temp you want......i'm doing the same thing with oil pressure......im thinking about wiring the oil pressure warning in so that if the motor drops below 10psi it automatically shuts itself off....only problem with that is when im cranking it to start it I'll have to wait till i get more than 10psi of pressure for it to start......
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i agree i think a warning light for too high of a collant temperature is a better idea.......if the pump dies its going to be a very short amount of time till the coolant temp spikes.........this is what im doing with mine right now.......i just got the autometer ultra lite gauge with the built in warning light that u can set at whatver temp you want......i'm doing the same thing with oil pressure......im thinking about wiring the oil pressure warning in so that if the motor drops below 10psi it automatically shuts itself off....only problem with that is when im cranking it to start it I'll have to wait till i get more than 10psi of pressure for it to start......
Or just put a relay in so you can bypass the safety feature while cranking.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Or just put a relay in so you can bypass the safety feature while cranking.
true true.........i was thinking of just killing the ignition 12 volt wire to the MSD box.......that could work if the starter is cranking i break the kill line from the oil press montior to the relay that will kill the msd...........i'd need two relays but it will work..........hmmmmm....
Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I may have to take you up on that!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Mike, that would be great to have sitting in the box with the plug wires. LOL Not for free of course.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
Thanks, I may have to take you up on that!
Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Yeah Mike, that would be great to have sitting in the box with the plug wires. LOL Not for free of course.
haha....ok lemme see what i can come up with I'm kinda busy trying to get my car running this week but this weekend i can prob come up with something....
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in no hurry. The warning light/buzzer that could be set to a certain temp would be good enough for me, but either way is fine.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I'm in no hurry. The warning light/buzzer that could be set to a certain temp would be good enough for me, but either way is fine.
i could do either.........one way id just tap into the coolant temp signal at the dash the other way would be two wires up to the water pump itself..........the coollant temp way would need to have a small box like 2 sq inch or so for some small circuitry
Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Teching In

i could do either.........one way id just tap into the coolant temp signal at the dash the other way would be two wires up to the water pump itself..........the coollant temp way would need to have a small box like 2 sq inch or so for some small circuitry

I have been watching this thread. I would be interested in one. Will be installing a CSR pump with a painless harness when my cam is installed.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
9 Second Club

ok let me spec out a kit of what im going to need and ill have a price for you guys tomorrow............it will be a plug and play kit.....
Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

i checked everything out last night.......so with a pretty much plug and play kit with instructions/pics.......all soldered and shrink wrapped connections and an LED warning light....figure i can do em for $50 a pop.......lemme know what u guys think....

Mike

Quick Reply: Wiring warning lights for electric waterpump