LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pass side motor mount a pain

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pass side motor mount a pain

I've pulled 2.8's, 4.3's, 2.5's, 305's, 350's hell I've had em all out. this lt1 pass side mount is kickin my a**. I'm putting some 1 7/8's ebay headers and had to lift the motor I remember it giving me hell a while back but any tips? I can get the driver lined up easy I've jacked pulled done it all just can't get it to sit down on the motor mount.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try removing mount from k-member ,bolt it back to clamshell mount THEN sit engine back into place loosely, get 4 bolts to k-member started by finger and tighten mount back on to k-member.....
Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

It worked best for me when I bolted to the frame then moved the entire assembly to line up with the block.
Start all three before tightening any one of them down.
FWIW, rubber gives a lot more than poly.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll try those options next, the pass side of my engine has twisted to the 12:15 or 12:30 position. maybee i was just wore out last night from the 1 7/8 long tubes, these really were a pita to get in.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

With all the fitment problems with e-bay headers, one has to wonder if the discounted price is really worth it..
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
With all the fitment problems with e-bay headers, one has to wonder if the discounted price is really worth it..
DUDE, hes having trouble lining the damn motor mount into the mount stand this isnt a problem with the ******* headers,just some lack of experience !
The headers are worth every ******* cent less than the name brand ones..
i have the same ones , been a DD for OVER a year now,no cracks no leaks , went in easy had to be dinged in a few spots and and for that i'm up $300 STILL .
Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
DUDE, hes having trouble lining the damn motor mount into the mount stand this isnt a problem with the ******* headers,just some lack of experience !
The headers are worth every ******* cent less than the name brand ones..
i have the same ones , been a DD for OVER a year now,no cracks no leaks , went in easy had to be dinged in a few spots and and for that i'm up $300 STILL .
Man, you get bent out of shape way too easily.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Village Troll

He mad.

I'm just saying I see threads like this all the time where people are asking how to clearance for e-bay headers by either grinding on the k-member or banging/denting primaries to clear the steering shaft or k-member...
Not worth it IMO.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Man, you get bent out of shape way too easily.
I do have a short fuse,.. but no i wasnt bent outta shape... i do hate it though when people have an issue and other people come in to a thread and **** on parts choice.. rather than help...is what i'm sayn...
Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Village Troll

k.. here's my help.

Get Hooker LT's.

Don't be mad, bro.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
k.. here's my help.

Get Hooker LT's.

Don't be mad, bro.
And how does that give the OP advise one lining up his motor mount??
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Village Troll

Future reference for those inquiring about e-bay headers who want a less painful install w/out the sacrifice of denting primaries or grinding on the chassis to make them fit?

I also wonder the quality of material used and their longevity? Or does that matter because OMG THEY'RE THREE HUNDRED DOLLARZ! WAT A BARGAINZ!111
Old 04-17-2011, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Man I had to use a Jack one time to line up the mounts..

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
And how does that give the OP advise one lining up his motor mount??
You would have a more productive conversation with a rock..just throwin that out there..
Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

On a lt1 with the motor mount bolt going from front to back the bolt will not come out all the way... I guess when i lifted the engine to install the header the bolt caught and cocked the motor mount. got it in but now fighting the ebay y-pipe, this is going to be another jerk pull cut and bend job...
Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=You would have a more productive conversation with a rock..just throwin that out there..[/QUOTE]

Your prob right there...
Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pro94lt
On a lt1 with the motor mount bolt going from front to back the bolt will not come out all the way... I guess when i lifted the engine to install the header the bolt caught and cocked the motor mount. got it in but now fighting the ebay y-pipe, this is going to be another jerk pull cut and bend job...
Your doing something wrong, install the y-pipe on the headers with the headers still loose at the motor .. tweek fitment then tighten the headers down then tighten the y-pipe in place
Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Im going through this as well, i was hoping that i wouldnt have to do motor mounts with my ebay long tube install....My steering linkage needs half an inch of room to even think about fitting lol. Needless to say energy suspension motor mounts have been purchased, pass side was in stock so i just went through that side. I had them loose from the oil pan gasket i just did as well. Had it out in about 15 minutes or so. Drilled the clam shell, put the new motor mount in and went to put it back in the car.

The biggest issue that i ran into was apparently 1 good motor mount, and 1 120k mile worn out stock mount, sit entirely different. I found it easiest with the mount attached to the motor, then get the motor mount on and get the bolt through it....then lower the engine back down and onto the k member. From here nothing lined up quite right.

I ended up jacking on the drivers side of the block to twist the engine the right way. The motor mounts are proving to be a pain, but if you just take a break, sit back...look at it from the top and front of the car you can figure out which way it needs to go alot easier, and then either jack or pry the motor in that direction.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

It was just one of them days for me, a 3 min job to put a bolt in took several hours... all good now, but man I think the guys with the ebay headers have spoke lightly on how much beating you have to do to get them to fit, k-member, steering shaft, frame rail on pass side... these were the 17/8 though.

Quick Reply: pass side motor mount a pain