LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Northern Auto Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern Auto Parts

here is the deal, getting ready to replace my LT1, (I cracked a head, Doh!!!). I do have a replacement motor, but with the other problems that I am having with the current (claimed "60k") motor. (blowby like a big dog, the power is down, millage sucks....) I have decided to freshin the next one up ("Claimed 40K??") just to be safe. some people just can't be trusted!!
So is Northern a good place to purchase parts from???
Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine parts are getting harder and harder to find at local parts stores. I've had very good luck with Rock Auto and Advanced Auto Parts. Northern is well known for good parts and good service. Just make a list and see who has the best deal. Here in Tucson Auto Zone carries decent engine parts but you have to order everything and they are butt heads about paying on the phone so you have to go to the store to place the order and pay for it, and go again to get the parts. For me ordering on the net made better sense.

What I'd be concerned about is who is doing the machine work. I lucked out and was able to just hone the cylinders with a ball hone. But I had a pile of problems getting the heads done correctly. Do your best to find a decent shop.

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had awesome luck with Northern. Top notch customer service as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Big Al
Engine parts are getting harder and harder to find at local parts stores. I've had very good luck with Rock Auto and Advanced Auto Parts. Northern is well known for good parts and good service. Just make a list and see who has the best deal. Here in Tucson Auto Zone carries decent engine parts but you have to order everything and they are butt heads about paying on the phone so you have to go to the store to place the order and pay for it, and go again to get the parts. For me ordering on the net made better sense.

What I'd be concerned about is who is doing the machine work. I lucked out and was able to just hone the cylinders with a ball hone. But I had a pile of problems getting the heads done correctly. Do your best to find a decent shop.

Al 95 Z28
I have wondered about getting Alum heads worked on, I am kind of worried about finding a good machinest. I am also thinking about having 1.60's installed and unshrouded.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 355z28
Ive had awesome luck with Northern. Top notch customer service as well.
thanks for the responce, so far they are the lowest price, at $700 + change
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Launching!

if you gotta pull it out, why not freshen up the bottom end and get a new set of factory heads for it? i mean its a craps shoot like you said. who in the world has an lt1 with 40K on it? no body
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tinbender59
I have wondered about getting Alum heads worked on, I am kind of worried about finding a good machinest. I am also thinking about having 1.60's installed and unshrouded.
Watch the valve sizes, some genius ruined my heads by putting 2.02's and 1.60's in them. Not enough seat for the valve size. Replacing the seats with larger ones is too expensive, and now that the seats are cut I can't go back to stock valves.

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinbender59
thanks for the responce, so far they are the lowest price, at $700 + change
I ordered my complete rebuild with them in 2007 for my old 355. I went with 2 valve relief Hyperuectic pistons. They worked with me on substituting what ever I wanted in the rebuild kit.

NOTE I would recommend buying comp lifters or GM lifter or cleaning up your old ones and reusing them. Everything was great from northern except for the cheaper lifters they just never stayed pumped up, were always a little bit noisy. I switched to comp and havent had a problem since. Then again this was in 07.

Quick Reply: Northern Auto Parts