LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fixed a Miss (not opti)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Fixed a Miss (not opti)

First off i bought a car from my buddies ex wife who acquired the car after he passed away in an accident 3 years back. the car had sat the whole time since his passing but was cover, so i jumped on it when she called me. Anyways i took the thing home and threw in some fresh gas and changed the oil and such, never got around to the plugs and wires because my local shop didnt have the ones i needed in at the time, but i started cleaning it up to get it dependable again. After i got it back on the rd it ran great so i didnt think the wires and plugs were that bad off so i forgot about them. not long after driving it i came into several chances to line up with some friends of mine and see where it stood in the pecking order. after a few races i noticed that my rev limiter was kicking in before rpms even made it to 5k! i had thought i was just screwing up and over reving the car so i payed close attention and sure enough it was cutting out around 4900. took me 2 weeks to figure out everything and after reading on here and an lt1 forum i decided to replace the coil wires and plugs and just hope that the opti wasnt going. i picked up an msd coil for like 40 bones at advanced auto along with plugs and wires. first off i put the coil on and noticed a big difference in smoothness, throttle response, and actually a little power. (prob wouldnt have helped as much had the car not sat 3 years) then i left the shop to head home deciding to swap out the rest when i got off work the next day.. well i got half way home and the car died out. after a quick look i saw that my wire going from the new coil to the opti had snapped in the boot and pulled apart. UGH!!! i then had to mcguiver the thing back together with a paper clip and managed to crank it back up and get it back to the shop where i swapped out the bad wire for one of the new ones. sure enough the wire and coil solved my high rpm miss and now the car runs like a dream. after work tomorrow im gonna throw in my new plugs and the rest of the wires and see where it goes from there.

Long story short, New coil wire solved my miss. i guess the wire was arcing through the bad spot in it. The MSD coil however made a killer difference in smoothness and throttle response. Also gave a little more kick in the *** but like i said the car prob should have been running like this from the beginning had it not sat.

Last edited by Driftunit; 09-14-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear. Alot of people probably would have went straight for the opti.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^for sure, people always blame the Opti! 6 years on my Opti and she fires on the first crank after sitting for 3 months.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Ive got a high rpm miss or studder (between 5700 and 6700rpms....new plugs and wires but my coil does have 135k on it... ill have to replace it to see if it helps me out. Thanks for posting this!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 AM
12 Second Club

No sweat, i had seen a lot of threads on the subject and noticed most were unanswered so i posted up. I was very pleased with the results and if a simple 40 dollar coil makes as much of a difference in everyone elses cars as it did mine then it should def be on the "to get list" next tune up for all lt1s imo.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is most plug wire and coil wires even new arent always great. Alot of people dont know for good measure to ohm test the wires before you put them on to make sure they are in spec. I see to many threads people swapping plugs and wires and there is no change or it gets worse so they assume its the opti. They then go to change the opti and still have a poor running car! So that being said always check your wires even if new to make sure as it can go along way and save you alot of grief and headaches! Been down this road too many times on my friends cars and my own!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good find. I have had the bad coil wire myself.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftunit
No sweat, i had seen a lot of threads on the subject and noticed most were unanswered so i posted up. I was very pleased with the results and if a simple 40 dollar coil makes as much of a difference in everyone elses cars as it did mine then it should def be on the "to get list" next tune up for all lt1s imo.
Glad to hear you found the issue. What year is the car and how many miles where on it when you bought it?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you figured it out and even happier you found a solution to your problem and took the time to post it for others to find.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Glad to hear you found the issue. What year is the car and how many miles where on it when you bought it?
Its a 94 6 speed, white, with 124k on the clock. its a well taken care of car and has its share of areas that need attention though lol. im gonna start a build thread for it tonight and ill post the link.

96LT1355Z28, thanks dude. glad to be of use around here lol
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

What would be the spec for ohming out the wires, coil and plug
Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've swapped coil wires and much much more, still misses. I'm not a fan of the msd coil, mine caused slow starts or even multiple cranks versus stock style, but I'm glad you solved your issue and are enjoying it.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by azlt
Ive got a high rpm miss or studder (between 5700 and 6700rpms....new plugs and wires but my coil does have 135k on it... ill have to replace it to see if it helps me out. Thanks for posting this!
Change the ICM while you got the coil out.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Ok questions.. What is it? why should i change it? how much is it? and where can i find one? thanks lol
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

is it the little chip lookin thing thats like within a cm of the coil? if so i was wondering about that thing
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

The opti isn't nearly as bad as the LS1 crowd and ignorant make it out to be. I always chime in to peoples 'Bad Opti?' posts on all the boards to do the coil, wire, and plugs first. Its almost like the Newbs want to buy a new Opti first, then bad mouth it when the problem persists and say 'My first, second, and third opti were bad. I finally did new plugs,wires, and coil with opti #4 and problem solved. Guess the 4th time is the charm'. Funny, the opti was never really the problem most of the time. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Fixed a Miss (not opti)