LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 lt1 383 stroker project questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 lt1 383 stroker project questions

I have a 95 Z28 6speed, 4.10 gear, cold air kit, under drive pulleys, long tube headers and some other minor bolt-ons. I am about to start my 383 project but I am trying to get away with some stock parts until I can afford to replace them. It will be a forged built 383, ported heads with a 232/240 cam and the clutch will be replaced when the engine is done. My goal is to not have to pull the motor again as I add the parts.

The questions I have are...

1. Can I get away with the stock intake manifold, fuel injectors and ignition system?

I know the rearend will need upgraded but I dont hook up well enough or run it that hard to worry about any of that yet. Please add anything else I may have overlooked, thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can use the stock manifold and ignition system.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need injectors, but can use the stock intake and ignition.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can usually find a ported intake manifold on here for pretty cheap.. ignition system is fine. you will prob be fine with some 30lb red tops and a walbro 255 pump for your fuel system
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

If fuel injectors are the only thing I have to change that makes me feel better about getting this project started. Replacing the intake plus porting, throttlebody and ignition could set this back a few months. Thanks for the info and like I said before... if anything was overlooked please let me know.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not go running some random ported manifold because different porters remove material from different areas creating a potential missmatch. Besides the untouched stocker is good for more than most guys manage to make NA anyhow.

The real concern I see is that you are going into a stroker build with the idea the intake needs to be addressed as does the ignition which everyone is agreeing you are way off base on. Then the injector thing.............................

I would argue the best thing you can do is STOP because if any other part of this build has been planned with your current level of cluelessness I see a whole lot of fail in your future.

Have you thought about a fuel pump?
Have you thought about the axle?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would not go running some random ported manifold because different porters remove material from different areas creating a potential missmatch. Besides the untouched stocker is good for more than most guys manage to make NA anyhow.

The real concern I see is that you are going into a stroker build with the idea the intake needs to be addressed as does the ignition which everyone is agreeing you are way off base on. Then the injector thing.............................

I would argue the best thing you can do is STOP because if any other part of this build has been planned with your current level of cluelessness I see a whole lot of fail in your future.

He stated he knows he will have to change the rear end.

I agree with the other statements.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Teching In

I am looking for useful info not insults, if you got it I appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What crankshaft you planning on running?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree.. i was thinking that he had everything else figured out and these were his questions...

If these where your only questions you need to do alot more research before you start touching your motor.. not being mean/putting you down, just being realistic
Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

IMO it would be a whole lot meaner to say you have it all figured out and let you fail without trying to help. I have hurt a lot of feelings over the years with posts like my first one in this thread, and a number of guys who's feelings I hurt later came back and sent a PM saying "I should have listened".

On fuel injectors and pump the one critical thing people forget is we are not talking about what stock stuff can feed but rather what 17yo stock stuff can feed, that is the biggest reason for needing upgrades. I know Ed Wright has posted about using the stock fuelpump FAR in excess of what pretty much anyone else would even consider, But we can't assume a 17yo stock fuel pump or injectors are in perfect working order anymore.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
What crankshaft you planning on running?
I would have to contact the guy who will be building the motor to find out exactly which crank will be put in. He said the cast Eagle 3.75 could be used with the factory flywheel but I want it forged and the flywheel doesnt cost much to replace.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diagnosis
I would have to contact the guy who will be building the motor to find out exactly which crank will be put in. He said the cast Eagle 3.75 could be used with the factory flywheel but I want it forged and the flywheel doesnt cost much to replace.
Tell him to f**k off if he tries to put a cast eagle crank in. They are weaker than the factory crank. There are so many people who break them.

There are two options.

Stock or Forged. No aftermarket cast cranks.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

IMO it would be a whole lot meaner to say you have it all figured out and let you fail without trying to help. I have hurt a lot of feelings over the years with posts like my first one in this thread, and a number of guys who's feelings I hurt later came back and sent a PM saying "I should have listened".

On fuel injectors and pump the one critical thing people forget is we are not talking about what stock stuff can feed but rather what 17yo stock stuff can feed, that is the biggest reason for needing upgrades. I know Ed Wright has posted about using the stock fuelpump FAR in excess of what pretty much anyone else would even consider, But we can't assume a 17yo stock fuel pump or injectors are in perfect working order anymore.
I have no doubt you know what you are talking about and I am here to try to learn. Its obvious I am no mechanic, just some fool that wants to put some life back in his old car.

You do make a good point. I have owned this car for 15 years and its easy to forget its not just what a stock part can handle... its what a 17yo stock part can handle. The fuel pump has been replaced and I wish I knew what kind of pump was put in it.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I am looking for useful info not insults, if you got it I appreciate it.
You will get that a lot from him. He still doesn't understand how to talk to people in a reasonable manner. It's been going on for years. Just wait until you purchase/install a part that he doesn't agree with, then he'll tell you how "blind" you are.

Do the bottom end as strong as you can so it will take whatever punishment you might throw at it later on. The only problem I see is that you haven't decided on heads yet. That will effect your piston choice based on chamber volume. Are you running n/a? If so You will want static compression to be around 11.5/12-1. Check out the chamber volumes of some ported heads. Some keep it the same while others remove a little material. Also, if your block ends up getting decked a significant amount the pistons may be flush with the deck. Running different thickness head gaskets can get you ideally where you want, but it's better to know the entire package that you want to run right now before you purchase anything. I think the cam you have picked out is going to be too mild for a 383. You'll be leaving a lot of power on the table with a cam like that.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Tell him to f**k off if he tries to put a cast eagle crank in. They are weaker than the factory crank. There are so many people who break them.

There are two options.

Stock or Forged. No aftermarket cast cranks.
Glad you said something. I was thinking about going with cast crank to save some cash but I am quickly learning I should save my money and do it right. I might have to put this off for a few more months, maybe another year or else I am asking to fail like 96capricemgr mentioned.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Joelster is wise.

Before you build your engine you should get your fuel system squared away. A single Walbro 255, DW300, or Aeromotive 340 will feed a 383 N/A.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad you said something. I was thinking about going with cast crank to save some cash but I am quickly learning I should save my money and do it right. I might have to put this off for a few more months, maybe another year or else I am asking to fail like 96capricemgr mentioned.
Leave your car alone if the budget isn't there to do it right. Go pick up a used LT1 motor for $300-$400 and build that in baby steps as time/money allow. That way you have zero down time. Nothing sucks more than taking a perfectly good running/driving car and ripping into it, and then losing interest or running out of funds to finish it on schedule. I have a few friends of mine that have done this exact same thing and their cars haven't been on the road in years.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Joelster is wise.

Before you build your engine you should get your fuel system squared away. A single Walbro 255, DW300, or Aeromotive 340 will feed a 383 N/A.
Racetronix has already stated it will be at leas summer before they have wiring for the 340 pump sorted out. Why suggest wildly overkill parts that wont easily fit?

Far as the cast crank thing that is a huge red flag that he would consider using a cast eagle crank.

put the project on hold for quite some time and find a competent shop while you do a LOT of reading.

Lots of us have made a lot of mistakes already no need for you to repeat them, just look around and figure out who you want to trust and then ask questions.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Racetronix has already stated it will be at leas summer before they have wiring for the 340 pump sorted out. Why suggest wildly overkill parts that wont easily fit?

Far as the cast crank thing that is a huge red flag that he would consider using a cast eagle crank.

put the project on hold for quite some time and find a competent shop while you do a LOT of reading.

Lots of us have made a lot of mistakes already no need for you to repeat them, just look around and figure out who you want to trust and then ask questions.
Racetronix isn't the only people out there. I've already seen people running the Aeromotive 340 in LT1s.

Quick Reply: 95 lt1 383 stroker project questions