LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP!!! oil pump went out

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! oil pump went out

i have a 93 z28 with a lt4 hot cam stock heads ported 1.6 rocker arms 58 mm bbk throttle body k&n intake slp stainless headers no cat borla exhaust shift kit and a 2800 stall i was driving on the free way and i gave a lil gas to get up to speed and when i left off the oil pressure fell to 0 so i hurried up and got off the closes exit towed it back home and the oil pump went out but i dont know what kinda oil pump to buy which is best for my set up thanks guys
Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oilpumps are pretty bulletproof, pretty unlikely it is the actual problem.
Find the actual problem. Be it the sending unit, the drive gear, the driveshaft, bearing clearances, those are all more likely than the pump itself.

Did the engine get louder? If it still sounded quiet as it had been I might check it with a mechanical gauge, but if it got loud that verifies lack of flow so do not run it any more.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Oilpumps are pretty bulletproof, pretty unlikely it is the actual problem.
Find the actual problem. Be it the sending unit, the drive gear, the driveshaft, bearing clearances, those are all more likely than the pump itself.

Did the engine get louder? If it still sounded quiet as it had been I might check it with a mechanical gauge, but if it got loud that verifies lack of flow so do not run it any more.
it got louder and when i got it home i started to see if i still didnt have pressure and i didnt so i turned it off and i also heard to lifters knocking cause there was no oil in them or the heads
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Before buying parts, try process of elimination you have a 93 remove your oil psi sensor above your oil filter http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg buy a mecanical oil gauge install move gauge up to windshield so its visible, unplug coil wire, check oil level crank over you should read 10-20 psi. If nothing at all your pump can be bad or worst case spun rear main.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1_t56
Before buying parts, try process of elimination you have a 93 remove your oil psi sensor above your oil filter http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg buy a mecanical oil gauge install move gauge up to windshield so its visible, unplug coil wire, check oil level crank over you should read 10-20 psi. If nothing at all your pump can be bad or worst case spun rear main.
If his motor got loud it had no oil pressure period, not a sensor.

He might just be thinking oil slinger because he has 0 PSI and that's the worst thing your car can have (besides being completely wrecked and rolled) and he is trying to think positive about it and blaming it on the oil pump, very assuming of him obviously but we all do it.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't remember which one I put in mine. I think it was TRW or something. Lots of guys use Melling. Be sure to check the oil pump drive when you take off the pump. There is a little plastic collar that can break if you try priming the engine with a drill (slight sideways movement can crack them since they get very brittle over time in the engine). There are aftermarket drives with a steel collar, get one of those.

I hope your engine survived okay.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the intake and see if the drive gear/cam wore out. Hard to believe the oil pump STB... I had my oil pump drive gear strip out on me last year. I lucked out and it was a fairly simple $80 fix
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

If it got loud it likely did lose pressure and I would not run it to check with a mechanical gauge.

Drain the oil and look for flakes. If the oil is metallic pull the engine. If the oil looks OK then do as said above and pull the intake.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

cam bearings?

-oil starvation of the lifters
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

By the time cam bearings wear out other stuff is shot. The exception would be damage to cam bearings during a cam swap.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe the oil pickup fell off?
Maybe the oil pump drive broke?

Drian oil is the first place you need to start. This will tell you a lot, is their metallic or not. Then with a flash light and a coat hanger fish for the pick up. If you have a engine camera that would be best.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm putting money on the pump gear. Since you have the Hotcam, I'm sure the stock oil pump drive gear wore out quicker and stopped catching the cam gear.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Teching In

I bet your oil pickup fell off it's just a press fit. Put a few more qarts of oil in and see if you get pressure if so than you know it's the pickup.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

I thought a pickup fallen off usually had pressure at idle but lost it under cornering or higher rpm.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you at 6500rpmthe when this ticking began???
Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the pick up has fallen off and assuming you still have plenty of oil, you will have normal pressure. I am betting the billet LT4 hotcam shredded the oil pump drive gear. I would mallet test the bottom of the pan then pull the intake and then the oil pump drive gear stub.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Update on my car. I called my macantic today to fix it he worked for gm for 30 years. And he wanted to check to oil pump first so we jacked it up and the exhaust got in the way and we couldn't get the bolts off he said we gotta heat them up first then we can drop then pan and see what really happened. Should be done over the weekend I hope
Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ManMuchwano93z28
Update on my car. I called my macantic today to fix it he worked for gm for 30 years. And he wanted to check to oil pump first so we jacked it up and the exhaust got in the way and we couldn't get the bolts off he said we gotta heat them up first then we can drop then pan and see what really happened. Should be done over the weekend I hope
I'm tellin' ya, if you pulled the intake off and took a look at the drive gear you would see that it's shredded. The Billet cam that's in there doesn't like the stock oil pump drive gear and probably has sheared it off.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ManMuchwano93z28
Big mistake IMO. As has already been said, oil pumps dont fail but there is history to the drive gear failure and its well documented on this board. The simple fact that you have a hot cam just makes it another strike against the gear. You are better off pulling the intake first which BTW is much less pain in the *** to do next to pulling the pan.

I give you a 98% chance that the problem is the gear and nearly everyone on here would agree with that assuming you have a pan full of oil and it has good pressure at startup.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Launching!

When I started it there was no pressure at all and I told my macantic about pulling the intake he said lets pull the pan first and just see so I said ok but I wouldn't doubt that the gear went out on it But he still wants to pull the pan for some reason first idk y but we should find the problem tomorrow when he comes back and should be fixed soon. Thanks guys for all the help I'll keep u guys updated on it

Quick Reply: HELP!!! oil pump went out