LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone with a 93-97 car with LS1 gone back to LT1? Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone with a 93-97 car with LS1 gone back to LT1? Help please.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a ton of people tell me this is dumb but I'm looking at an LT1 car that currently has an LS motor in it but if I get it I want to put the LT1 back in. I know that's going to sound extremely odd but that's where I want to take this car.

So my question is what needs to happen with the wiring to get it back to using an LT1 motor? I know it will need the computer and the harness those are a given but I have heard/read there is some cutting and splicing of wires done when originally going to LS. But I'm not sure what all that is and how to reverse it. Has anyone done this or am I the only dork who wants to, lol. Wouldn't surprise me if I was but I'd really like some advice. I don't want to get too deep into the wiring of the car but I really want an LT1 back in it.

Can someone shed some light on what needs to happen with the wiring aside from the harness and computer...the car has both the LS harness and computer currently. Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the year of the chassis, I would find someone wanting to swap to an ls engine and trade part for part. In fact if you have a 93 I'd be very interested. And you could probably have the other party throw some $$ in on top to make it a bit better. Just sayin.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

I'm really not worried about getting parts what I'm worried about is making sure all the wiring is done properly so everything works when I get the LT1 motor back in it. Like I said I remember hearing that there are some wires you have to cut/splice to get the cluster and what not to work but I guess I'm trying to decide how to reverse that and not get tangled up in an electrical nightmare.

Right now I'm only concerned with how to fix the harness inside the car not the engine wiring harness.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I guess it would depend more on how the harness was built. Every swap I've seen was plug and play on the harness.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the swap wiring is done properly then all you do is unplug the engine harness and plug in the LT1 harness and go. Now if it was a hack job then you might as well start running away now!!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

If i decided to go back LT1 the harness i could just unplug and plug another 96 LT1 harness and go, so hope fully they didn't **** the the car harness and just repinned the LS1 engine harness.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

that's the hope. If not then you have more fun ahead in tracing whatever they may have trashed
Old 07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by za355tx
I'm really not worried about getting parts what I'm worried about is making sure all the wiring is done properly so everything works when I get the LT1 motor back in it. Like I said I remember hearing that there are some wires you have to cut/splice to get the cluster and what not to work but I guess I'm trying to decide how to reverse that and not get tangled up in an electrical nightmare.

Right now I'm only concerned with how to fix the harness inside the car not the engine wiring harness.

Don't bother trying to retrace everything he has done and splice wiring back together. Order a new LT1 wiring harness and start plugging in. If you find other harnesses that have been modified, replace them too. Look for an LT1 being parted out for that. The last thing you want is to lose the car to a fire. Start by looking for all the harnesses that plug into the LT1 ECM/PCM.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

What a giant leap backwards into retardedness.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it shouldn't be as bad as you think to take it back to lt1. there are wires that need to be added to the ls1 harness for the gauges to work properly on a lt1. as stated above, you should be able to unplug and plug in a new harness from the same year as the chassis and it should be fine. the only thing to check is that the c100/c105 are still pinned exactly the same. Not hard and not time consuming.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
What a giant leap backwards into retardedness.
Why? Because it's not what you would do??? I happen to like LT1's and LS1's stuff is more expensive. I just wanted to do a simple rebuild and take the car back to where it was originally. If I was building a race car then maybe I'd keep it LS but I'm not so don't need all that. Some people like having original cars. I'm sorry that's not your opinion but that doesn't make it retarded.

Originally Posted by merim123
it shouldn't be as bad as you think to take it back to lt1. there are wires that need to be added to the ls1 harness for the gauges to work properly on a lt1. as stated above, you should be able to unplug and plug in a new harness from the same year as the chassis and it should be fine. the only thing to check is that the c100/c105 are still pinned exactly the same. Not hard and not time consuming.
I've decided not to get into this car. I'd rather get one that already has the LTX stuff in it not one that's been tampered with.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

If thats the case, then why wouldnt you just look for an lt1 f-body that has an lt1 in it. Then you dont have to worry about what this person did to the car..............................................
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Hell, if you bought that car for around what mines worth I'll do an even trade. Mines an LTx and it always has been.....but it's old. Lok
Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Lets trade cars OP, mine has an LT1 in it already.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
If thats the case, then why wouldnt you just look for an lt1 f-body that has an lt1 in it. Then you dont have to worry about what this person did to the car..............................................
Same thing im thinking.
its quite odd what the op is trying to accomplish :/
Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Absolutely retarded. OP unless this is some special edition you want to convert back to original just find another car. And where is this expensive LS stuff? Aside from maybe LS intake manifolds the prices are no different
Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Absolutely retarded. OP unless this is some special edition you want to convert back to original just find another car. And where is this expensive LS stuff? Aside from maybe LS intake manifolds the prices are no different
Prices are not different? Have you taken a look at some of the LS parts?

LS oil pump- around $100. SBC/LT-$30
LS cam-$400 SBC/LT-$300

I'm not saying the LS is that much more expensive but to say they are the same is ignorant... A lot of the parts are the same price but some of the pieces are quite a bit different... You can buy a run of the mill LT rebuild kit for around $300, and LS kit is twice that....
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Ill do a straight up trade for drivetrains with you OP if you want, Ill even do all the labor. And you can sit and drink some budweisers and watch.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you want an "original car"? Ok, buy a super low mileage LT1 car then.

Besides that, it is just straight twisted to want to buy an already cheap F-body, want to keep it a stock LT1 when you already have a stock LS1 in there with more power, more tuning capabilities if you ever wanted it down the road, more aftermarket, better fuel economy, etc.

All of the trade offs for a better sounding car maybe?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Lt1 F bodies are dirt cheap, why not just buy a low mileage one? Mines got 80,000 miles OP :wink:

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 93-97 car with LS1 gone back to LT1? Help please.