LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 block strength

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADMOON
If you build an LT1 that outruns a UGR Lambo I promise I will show up at your doorstep with a carriage pulled by unicorns and come personally kiss your ***...
With a name like BadMoon, I think he has had to do this on more then one occasion!

LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
and BTW in your sig it says converting to rear mount turbo. You wont make any power with rear mount turbos. IMO its a waste of time and money. Just do a Turbo setup thats closer to the exhaust manifolds. Correct me if im wrong! Take a look at Nelsons Racing Engines. The perfect art of what a turbo setup is!
Yeah the project changed I found someone who will mock up the twins behind aftermarket k memeber up longside the block. It works well with the turbonetics hp58's with 62 turbine. The housing is small enough to get up there and still have clearence.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Your referring to a different build then the one to the guy i just replied to. Arent you talking about the 68 camaro that had 5th gen camaro tail lights and it was AWD?!
If I remember right it said 2012 camaro. And it had the body front to back 2012. But I gotta go find it now...lol
Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and BTW in your sig it says converting to rear mount turbo. You wont make any power with rear mount turbos. IMO its a waste of time and money. Just do a Turbo setup thats closer to the exhaust manifolds. Correct me if im wrong! Take a look at Nelsons Racing Engines. The perfect art of what a turbo setup is!
Please produce info where rear mounts dont make power LOL.

Tell that to Paul Major.

There is also a Mustang coupe that has a rear mount 91mm that runs in Outlaw Drag Radial, flat black I think.

Someone also built rear mount twins in the trunk of a Mustang for a Drag Radial car.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Rick's Formula had a good top end but the bottom end wasn't any thing crazy, pretty street carish. Not much differen't then whats in your average LT1 blower car. That car used to be a big motor, doped street car, then he tried a nitrous race car and then lastly the turbo set up. That bottom end had a Cola crank, Eagle H beams and some J.e's. Erik K was doing the engine work on that car and is rebuilding my 398, we talk about Rick's old car a lot when I am at his shop since we both knew him. That car had 7s in it, but there were external circumstances that had nothing to do with the car that caused him to give up on it. He wanted a 7 pretty bad, but that car wasn't cheap to run. He had a lot more fun in it when it was a 10 second stroker/nitrous six speed car. When Erik and I talk, a few changes and that car would have been right. Never know now, he had it and was in the race to break 7s with the LS1 crowd. Just got out spent which was always the issue.

I saw it a few years ago, roller now

Do you know if there are any plans for the car in the future, or if its for sale?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by transbird95
Do you know if there are any plans for the car in the future, or if its for sale?
He's had that car since High School, his parent's got it for him brand new. I don't think he would ever part ways with it. Not sure what his plans are, he's married now with a kid and a business, so I don't think building a race car again is on his priorities list.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I wanna say 1600 or so.

At 30 lbs of boost it made 1240rwhp through a glide and a 9 inch on slicks.

See here.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ntiac_feature/
I spoke with Rick at length prior to our build and he (and many others with high hp LTx's of the day) agreed that 1000 at the crank is about the limit if you want it to live and that's with things setup just right with premium components. Any more and the block just doesn't have enough material to prevent the caps from walking. I think I remember him saying he was rebuilding his every 5 to 10 passes cause it was walking the thrust bearing out at his power level.

Ours makes about 750 at the crank and just over 1000 on the sauce and it's rock solid. Meticulous maintenance is also required at this level.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by N20Dave
I spoke with Rick at length prior to our build and he (and many others with high hp LTx's of the day) agreed that 1000 at the crank is about the limit if you want it to live and that's with things setup just right with premium components. Any more and the block just doesn't have enough material to prevent the caps from walking. I think I remember him saying he was rebuilding his every 5 to 10 passes cause it was walking the thrust bearing out at his power level.

Ours makes about 750 at the crank and just over 1000 on the sauce and it's rock solid. Meticulous maintenance is also required at this level.
There's a name I haven't seen in ages.

Glad to see you posting.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Play with the car for now without concern for "later".

By the time you got to that level you would be starting from scratch on a motor anyway and at that level a block every other year or something could be considered maintenance.
something ive never understood, people who want to go as fast as possible and expect engines to last for years. its part of racing get with it or get lost.

OP as for the block strength... if you fill it other **** will probably break before the block.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A few things

1st... It AIN'T cheap in any way shape or form...even sitting in the garage not moving

2nd... Pual Major is moving his turbos to the the front as I type

3rd... GM does Straight main bolts for assembly ease not because it is stronger. Splayed is stronger and does a better job of holding the caps in place.

4th... I would not and will not shoot for more then 1,000-1,200 RWHP on my stock half filled block. More in the 1,000 area or mid to low 8s what ever it takes.

5th... Right now Chris is the man to beat
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ellis I think point number 4 is great. I don't put a lot of faith in the splayed vs. straight arguments far as strength but I think you hit the nail on the head far as straight is easier to assemble and that being the case it is what GM would do regardless of what was stronger.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the info. Definitely gets me thinking............. Keep bugging Dart to make a LTx block lol. Never say never. Dart will make a block if enough people are interested im sure.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Is anybody running main cap girdles like the ford guys do?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
There's a name I haven't seen in ages.

Glad to see you posting.
Thank you sir! It's good to be back here.

Quick Reply: LT1 block strength