LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 LT1 TA, looking to do a few things while I have the engine out

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LT1 TA, looking to do a few things while I have the engine out

I have pulled my engine to replace the head gaskets and get the oil pump pick up tube welded on since it fell off. The other things I am looking to do are to delete the traction control, ABS, and all the smog crap since I do not have inspection in my area.

I would like to tuck the fuel lines and some of the wiring and vacuum lines. I am not building a show stopper but I would like to have a really clean Trans Am.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Here are some pics of where I am at: It is only letting me post 2 pics, will try to post more later.
Attached Thumbnails 96 LT1 TA, looking to do a few things while I have the engine out-2012-11-01_11-42-54_90.jpg   96 LT1 TA, looking to do a few things while I have the engine out-2012-11-06_17-48-20_199.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Everyone is dropping the whole k with there motor. It looks so complicated to me I always go through the top with my lt
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Teching In

I thought about it but the labor times were not that different. I chose this method because of all other things I could do while it is out made it a simple choice. It only took about 7 hours being my first time doing it, I have read that guys who have done it several times can get it out in about an hour. I know it looks overwelming but its really not that bad since you leave the wiring in tact on the motor and tranny. Now I want to remove a bunch of stuff to make it neater and less work next time.. See the pic for the wiring mess on the engine.
Attached Thumbnails 96 LT1 TA, looking to do a few things while I have the engine out-2012-11-06_14-55-21_339.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Albert96TA
I have read that guys who have done it several times can get it out in about an hour. I know it looks overwelming but its really not that bad since you leave the wiring in tact on the motor and tranny.
I have no doubt with a lift this would be easy once practiced a few times.

My first thought was "man I wish my engine was that clean still" lol

Should look up the coolant crossover conversion while its out if you haven't. The link I have handy, but there are others. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...onversion.html
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks ZFreie, I looked at the link but there was no pic. I will look into it since I am taking the heads off anyway.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM

Dunno what all you want to do. I just redid mine and while I was at it added a cam, changed to LT Headers (GREAT time to do it). I blocked my EGR on the rear (made my own plates) and yanked out my air pump and A/C Unit (I'm a convertible so who needs it LOL).

Also went ahead and did Timing Chain and removed all the smog crap. Also added 1.6 RR at this time too. Come ot think of it, I think I replaced every damn thing but the Power Steering and Alternator LOL.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steven Manson
Dunno what all you want to do.
I really want to fix my car at this time and remove as much as possible then send the PCM and have it tuned to turned the SES light off.

I just redid mine and while I was at it added a cam, changed to LT Headers (GREAT time to do it).
The cam is on my list in the future along with some head work.

I blocked my EGR on the rear (made my own plates) and yanked out my air pump
Yes I want to remove that but also do not want to compromise the MPG (EGR), all the smog crap gone, as much of the vacuum lines and evep system as I can without affecting the performance.

and A/C Unit (I'm a convertible so who needs it LOL).
I live in Florida so that has to stay, lol, and the wife and daughter will not ride with me with no AC

Also went ahead and did Timing Chain and removed all the smog crap. Also added 1.6 RR at this time too. Come ot think of it, I think I replaced every damn thing but the Power Steering and Alternator LOL.
Sounds like what I am probally going to end up doing
Thats about all I would like to accomplish at this stage, next time I will be doing more. I am also going to do a light wire tuck that I have looked up for both sides of the fender along with the fuel line tuck also.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Just remember when you do the cam later you'll have to remove the intake AGAIN so just threw that out there.....

Removing the EGR doesn't really impact performance. MPG have no clue yet. Waiting for my Y Pipe to arrive so I can drive without the neighbors on the OTHER end of town hearing me .

Well IF you plan on ever going bigger cam, you'll get the most out of them with 1.6/1.7 roller rockers which do require heavier springs. I had mine replaced when I had the heads in the Machine Shop to be checked out (yea blew a head gasket too). They tore them down to clean them so was freebie to put the heavier springs on that I had ordered.

Pics and videos of the various stages of repair if interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/locruid...7631600833745/
Old 11-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steven Manson
Just remember when you do the cam later you'll have to remove the intake AGAIN so just threw that out there.....

I am aware of that, and thats another reason I want to remove all the clutter.
Removing the EGR doesn't really impact performance. MPG have no clue yet. Waiting for my Y Pipe to arrive so I can drive without the neighbors on the OTHER end of town hearing me .

Keep me posted on that.

Well IF you plan on ever going bigger cam, you'll get the most out of them with 1.6/1.7 roller rockers which do require heavier springs. I had mine replaced when I had the heads in the Machine Shop to be checked out (yea blew a head gasket too). They tore them down to clean them so was freebie to put the heavier springs on that I had ordered.

Good advice, thanks.

Pics and videos of the various stages of repair if interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/locruid...7631600833745/
Looks like fun, lol
Thanks for the advice guys
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Well sorry for the delay in updates but I needed to have back surgery and put the project on hold but now picking up where I left off at a slower pace.

The motor is out and on a stand with most of the top end off, just need to get the heads off.

I have decided to go with the LE2 setup Here are some specs I got from the site:

Cam specs I am considering for the LT1.
226/232 .578/.574 110 LSA. – 1900-6200 RPM
NON-EMISSIONS version of 223/230 cam mentioned above. Mild to choppy idle.
Good HP/TQ through out and a very usable power band. Best choice for “most people”
using stock bottom end. Minimum 2800 stall and 3.42 gears for B body. Comparable to
Comp 467 XFI cam.

I am considering the LE2 head setup with the above cam.
LT1 LE2 heads consist of :

Manley 2.00/1.56 6000 series valves
Patriot Gold Extreme springs (155 lbs seat and 400 lbs open)
Steel retainers and locks
205 cc intake port
milling, cleaning and assembly
flow about 275/190 CFM
assembled and ready to bolt on!

Questions that I have:
Is the intake port matching worth it? $200.00
Do I need larger injectors? What size?
Throttle body, Bigger? Size?
Roller rockers? Size?

What else am I missing?

Thanks for all the help..
Attached Thumbnails 96 LT1 TA, looking to do a few things while I have the engine out-2012-12-21_11-40-09_434.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Teching In

bump for some help from the experts
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

removing all that stuff is great i did it on mine last year i went as far as loosing the fuse box and harness and making my own under the dash......cut off all brackets and welded holes looks great and theres a ton of space and lost weight..........as for the H&C, ive had nothing but great experiences with AI not that theres anything wrong with the other guys but everything ive done with them has hauled *** and is durable.....as for the intake id leave it be unless you do the heads stock intake is not bad out of the box......if anytning a bit of inlet porting can help, with stock heads leave the runners alone
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Questions that I have:
Is the intake port matching worth it? $200.00
Do I need larger injectors? What size?
Throttle body, Bigger? Size?
Roller rockers? Size?

What else am I missing?

Thanks for all the help..
Intake port is definitely worth it if you got the coin, in addition to port matching he opens up the throttle body holes to 58MM, this is required if you ever want to run a 58mm TB.

30# minimum. Most would say go a little bigger since it won't hurt anything and you will have more room to grow if you decide to do a bigger CAM later.

TB size is highly debated, 'most' people say stock TB is good to 425+ crank hp range. Lloyd will recommend a 58MM and the ported intake. You can get by with stock if you choose without issue, I would still do the intake porting even if running the stock TB since he does a lot more work than besides just the opening up of the TB holes.

Roller rockers of some sort are required. I would go with 7/16 NSA 1.6 ratio and guideplates/hardened pushrods. 1.6 is pretty much the default, some people use 3/8 SA but I don't see a reason to risk, not much cost difference. Best/default ones are Comp Pro Mags. Lots of options here though, sharp, scorpion, most people stray away from proform/summits but with NSA and 7/16 some of the cheaper ones aren't terrible for a mild setup IMO. If the RPM is kept low and you have to save $ you could get by with SA 3/8 if you absolutely had to.

Don't forget pushrods, guideplates(if going NSA) and new lifters. Lots of CAM guides on the forums, tons of little stuff that will nickel and dime you, you'd me surprised.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blue96Z28
Intake port is definitely worth it if you got the coin, in addition to port matching he opens up the throttle body holes to 58MM, this is required if you ever want to run a 58mm TB.

Well $200.00 is not to bad in the grand scheme of things. I like the idea of being setup for future mods while its out.

30# minimum. Most would say go a little bigger since it won't hurt anything and you will have more room to grow if you decide to do a bigger CAM later.

What sizes are available, 32, 34, 36#? I do not want to go tooo far past the comfort zone.

TB size is highly debated, 'most' people say stock TB is good to 425+ crank hp range. Lloyd will recommend a 58MM and the ported intake. You can get by with stock if you choose without issue, I would still do the intake porting even if running the stock TB since he does a lot more work than besides just the opening up of the TB holes.

Whats in the middle from stock to 58mm? Isnt it 52mm? Would that be a happy medium?

Roller rockers of some sort are required. I would go with 7/16 NSA 1.6 ratio and guideplates/hardened pushrods. 1.6 is pretty much the default, some people use 3/8 SA but I don't see a reason to risk, not much cost difference. Best/default ones are Comp Pro Mags. Lots of options here though, sharp, scorpion, most people stray away from proform/summits but with NSA and 7/16 some of the cheaper ones aren't terrible for a mild setup IMO. If the RPM is kept low and you have to save $ you could get by with SA 3/8 if you absolutely had to.

Now this where I am having an issue. I want to have the reliability without the constant need for adjustment. What size studs are in the heads now? Could I stay with the stock stud size and do the 1.6 with "guideplates/hardened pushrods" and accomplish what I want? I will be turning some high RPM's since the car will see some autoX use and some street use. I would rather wait a little bit longer for the money and only do it once then cheap out and do it twice.

Don't forget pushrods, guideplates(if going NSA) and new lifters. Lots of CAM guides on the forums, tons of little stuff that will nickel and dime you, you'd me surprised.

Is there a certain size pushrod or I need to measure once I have it assembled? When you say " Lots of CAM guides on the forums " do you mean for sale? Is this something you get away with by buying used?
Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it Blue96 and Quick95
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
removing all that stuff is great i did it on mine last year i went as far as loosing the fuse box and harness and making my own under the dash......cut off all brackets and welded holes looks great and theres a ton of space and lost weight

What can I actually get rid of and the car still fuction? I would like to get rid of all the emmissions and as much of the vacuum crap as possible. Do have a pic or know of a write up that has this info in some detail? Kinda like a step by step.

..........as for the H&C, ive had nothing but great experiences with AI not that theres anything wrong with the other guys but everything ive done with them has hauled *** and is durable.....

Thats good to know as I am still in the research stage. Do you have a link to there page?

as for the intake id leave it be unless you do the heads stock intake is not bad out of the box......if anytning a bit of inlet porting can help, with stock heads leave the runners alone

If I go with the LE2 it will have some port work done. And I may go with a bigger TB as well.
Thanks for the info Quick95
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Teching In

This is currently where I am at with the motor...

Over the next few days I will have the heads off and the oil pan to see what the oill pump issue is. I know the pickup tube came off but I want to see if I will replace it or weld it back on.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link showing how to re-route the fuel lines. I haven't tried it, but it doesn't look to difficult:

http://www.lt1engines.com/tech/facto...ne-relocation/
Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats in the middle from stock to 58mm? Isnt it 52mm? Would that be a happy medium?

52mm is in the middle, and if going this route, get a ported stocker and it will idle better than an aftermarket that hasn't been modded. In my opinion, don't worry about a happy medium though....either keep the stocker or spend the money on the 58mm.

"I would go with 7/16 NSA 1.6 ratio and guideplates/hardened pushrods."

I want to have the reliability without the constant need for adjustment.

You shouldn't have to worry about that with your hydraulic lifters.

What size studs are in the heads now? Could I stay with the stock stud size and do the 1.6 with "guideplates/hardened pushrods" and accomplish what I want? I will be turning some high RPM's since the car will see some autoX use and some street use. I would rather wait a little bit longer for the money and only do it once then cheap out and do it twice.

3/8" are stock, but it only costs slightly more to move up to a 7/16" stud and rockers which will be more stable at higher rpm's.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1961ba427

52mm is in the middle, and if going this route, get a ported stocker and it will idle better than an aftermarket that hasn't been modded. In my opinion, don't worry about a happy medium though....either keep the stocker or spend the money on the 58mm.

OK, so 58mm its what I will put in the book since its the same price.

"I would go with 7/16 NSA 1.6 ratio and guideplates/hardened pushrods."

After a quick look in the book (summit) fit a reference, I am wondering which ones to order, 3/8 top 7/16 top, our what bottom, just confused.

I want to have the reliability without the constant need for adjustment.

You shouldn't have to worry about that with your hydraulic lifters.

Thanks for that answer...

What size studs are in the heads now? Could I stay with the stock stud size and do the 1.6 with "guideplates/hardened pushrods" and accomplish what I want? I will be turning some high RPM's since the car will see some autoX use and some street use. I would rather wait a little bit longer for the money and only do it once then cheap out and do it twice.

3/8" are stock, but it only costs slightly more to move up to a 7/16" stud and rockers which will be more stable at higher rpm's

See the above question on the top or bottom and what size goes where...
Thanks for that info

Last edited by Albert96TA; 01-02-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info Quick95

What can I actually get rid of and the car still fuction? I would like to get rid of all the emmissions and as much of the vacuum crap as possible. Do have a pic or know of a write up that has this info in some detail? Kinda like a step by step.

you can ditch the AIR, EGR, ABS, TCS, and Cruise, after that your in territory you probably dont want to be in with a street car and basic wiring skills.....ive got a big *** build thread from a long time ago you can find it here.....more than likely fruther than you'd want to go....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-video-9.html ..........comb thru it theres alot of stuff in there go about 9 pages in i think

Thats good to know as I am still in the research stage. Do you have a link to there page?

advancedinduction.com

Quick Reply: 96 LT1 TA, looking to do a few things while I have the engine out