LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'95 Camaro On a Diet

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to keep the nipple in the drivers side of the water pump to the radiator. Ask me how I know,blocked mine and found out the car ran hot,had to weld a fitting back in it and to the aftermarket radiator.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tensec94z
You need to keep the nipple in the drivers side of the water pump to the radiator. Ask me how I know,blocked mine and found out the car ran hot,had to weld a fitting back in it and to the aftermarket radiator.
I ran mine without it all last year without a single issue. I just put a rubber cap on it because the hose would have rubbed on my power steering setup. The only reason it was there is for the factory oil cooler, the cars without it just ran a hose to the rad. I don't think the caprices or vettes had it directed to the radiator.

Maybe you had an air bubble in there? I don't know
Old 05-04-2013, 04:12 AM
TECH Regular

how much weight you have off now? didnt feel like scrolling do you have a roll cage yet?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TSAEB
how much weight you have off now? didnt feel like scrolling do you have a roll cage yet?
This winter I took about 300# out and I had 300-350# removed before. When I install my clutch I will drop another ~50# off when I remove the rest of the ebrake stuff. I do not have a cage yet, I'm still doing some research on what exactly I want to do. I do have UMI 3 point SFCs though and my car is plenty stiff yet. The SFCs will be removed and replaced with a chromoly 2 point style box when the cage goes in and the reason I want to keep them is for a jack point.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
This winter I took about 300# out and I had 300-350# removed before. When I install my clutch I will drop another ~50# off when I remove the rest of the ebrake stuff. I do not have a cage yet, I'm still doing some research on what exactly I want to do. I do have UMI 3 point SFCs though and my car is plenty stiff yet. The SFCs will be removed and replaced with a chromoly 2 point style box when the cage goes in and the reason I want to keep them is for a jack point.
alot of people who put cages say you dont need the subframes... I have some subframes but plan to leave them off since i need a roll cage(atleast one day lol).
Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TSAEB
alot of people who put cages say you dont need the subframes... I have some subframes but plan to leave them off since i need a roll cage(atleast one day lol).
The little bit of added weight will be worth it to me if I start doing events. Being able to place a jack in the middle and lift up the entire side to change tires would save quite a bit of time. Then I would have that extra time to walk the track or whatever else.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Dash is almost back together. Shift light wiring is ran, driver side wiring is hooked with the exception of the neutral safety switch. I need to mount the dip switch, wire the shift light, hook up the passenger side wiring. Tonight I'm going to dye the carpet and hope to be able to install it tomorrow. I hope it turns out black and not purple.

Sorry I don't know how to get these pics smaller from my phone
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

This afternoon before I went boating I managed to squeeze in some time working on the
car. I installed the water pump after I flushed out all of the metal filings, taped up the
plugs and tightened everything up. Then when I got home I tried my hand at dying the
carpet.....that didn't turn out so well, I went from tan to brown carpet I'm going to
get a big barrel and put the whole carpet in it and fill it with water and dye and let it sit
in there during the week and see what happens. As of right now it is pretty much ruined,
but I'll try soaking it and see what happens. If it doesn't work I will get some Speed Inc
lightweight carpet.

This week I'm going to finish up the wiring under the dash/zip tie stuff up so it doesn't
rattle and work with the radiator mounts. Then I need to get to work on the hood, I can
only put it off for so long lol
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Launching!

The single layer lightweight carpet is what I put in the '63 it weighs nothing but looks incredible. Not sure how it would hold up to more traffic then a drag car though.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

ozite carpte looks great cheapest and great results.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

My brother called me this morning and said that the carpet looks a lot darker today than it
did last night. I'm still going to give soaking it in the dye a try first before I spend any more
money, the wife is already on my case lol

Thanks for the insight guys
Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Last night I worked on the lower radiator mounts and finished them up. Now I need to clean up the rough edges and paint
them up. I also have to figure something out to protect the rad from the steel mount. I haven't figured out the upper
mount yet and I have to get something for hoses...

Look at all that room

Last edited by Turnin20s; 05-10-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Upper mounts are done. Now I need to pull everything out and paint them. I also finished dying my carpet black and reinstalled it into the car. I started tying up the wiring under the dash and most of that is done.

I have a long list of small projects to tie up and I'm going to try to tackle most of them this week and try to start the car soon.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

4 day weekend starting tomorrow so maybe I can make some progress again. I have been
working overtime this week so nothing happened after work. I hope to make it look like a
car again and get the bumper cover back on and get the wiring finished up for the water
pump and cooling fan. If that happens I will try to fire it up for this first time since last
October.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but the mass air flow shouldn't be right at the elbow, It should be in the straight part of the CAI. Correct me if im wrong and the wheels look great!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28harcor
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but the mass air flow shouldn't be right at
the elbow, It should be in the straight part of the CAI. Correct me if im wrong
and the wheels look great!
Thanks for the heads up, I have been warned before but I'm going to give it a
try, if it doesn't seem to work right I will change it.

Thanks, I think the wheels turned out pretty good, I just want to get them on
so I can see how its going to look.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looking good, keep it up
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studderin
looking good, keep it up
Thanks man, I got a bunch of tedious little things finished up the past couple days.

The radiator is mounted with the fan attached, fan is wired, MAF wires are shortened. I installed a power block right next to the battery to make getting power to relays simpler, rather than adding a bunch of wires to one spot now I have 6 spots IIRC. I also tapped the power steering reservoir for a -6 return hose and shortened up the return hose.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice, I've read this whole thread and been following it for a bit now. Makes me wish I had the time and such to work on my car like this. Let alone I'm jelly you have a hardtop car lol.

Keep up the great work.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
Very nice, I've read this whole thread and been following it for a bit now. Makes me wish I had the time and such to work on my car like this. Let alone I'm jelly you have a hardtop car lol.

Keep up the great work.
lol thanks man I wish I had more time to work on it....well more energy anyway And yes I LOVE my hardtop, that was the selling point for me.

Getting ready to head back out to the garage, going to get some more small things done and make some cardboard templates of the radiator hoses. My brother works at a parts store and said he would find me some factory hoses if I made a cardboard template of what they have to look like and what size they are on the ends. I'm also going to rewire my EWP and start putting the seats back in hopefully.

Should have some more pics up later

Quick Reply: '95 Camaro On a Diet