LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTx blown motor horror story threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTx blown motor horror story threads

Hey guys,

So ive been waiting, planning, making sure I wasnt breaking the rules on LS1tech if I created a blown (LTX) motor thread with which gives members the free will to post their past & present state of blown LT motors. As for what would be interesting if members can post there story of their incidents, their diagnoses of the blown motors (which would include anything from valve-train failure, spun bearings, detonation, throwing rods, stupid misassembles, wrong geometry), and there conclusions of fixing (which more often than not would be LSx swaps ) They took the easy way out.

All forms of racing about their incidences would be fun to hear. 2 buddies of mine blew their motors this past week, 1 was a Lashway built Z06 with a 454 LS6 block, Livernoise top end (200 shot on pump gas) that spun #3 rod bearing a rear main bearing. 2nd one was a bone stock LS1 that dropped a valve.

You’ll learn just as much about a motor blow than you will with building your own motor..

Anyways
Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

Two instances. A cam bearing seized onto the cam journal as well as blowing a head gasket on the same setup within about 20 minutes after I got the car running. The other is I found out my valve geometry was wrong, went to check valve guides and found several that had more than .100" of play. All done by my own dumbassery. Lessons learned.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

My oil pickup tube fell off and was laying in the pan, 30k miles of the oil pressure going to 0 every time I hit the brakes and I got a knock. Guess that's not really blowing up tho.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old cam only stock LT1 had a rod take a dump that decided to poke it's way out the side of the block near the end of Z-max dragstrip due an over-rev. The track crew wasn't pleased!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spun a main journal. The motor is currently on the stand and hopefully going to the machine shop in another week. I have a spare block and crank just in case this one cannot be repaired.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have any pics of salads or shredded metal cheese?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rod went threw the side of the block, on the old lt1 I had in there when I got the car.

ill try look for some pic's.

Last edited by LT1; 10-18-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

I drove mine 7 miles with a blown head gasket puking coolant everywhere pulling over every half mile or so to cool it down. Sold it the next week for $600. The 60e also banged into 1, 2, and 3.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Two instances. A cam bearing seized onto the cam journal as well as blowing a head gasket on the same setup within about 20 minutes after I got the car running. The other is I found out my valve geometry was wrong, went to check valve guides and found several that had more than .100" of play. All done by my own dumbassery. Lessons learned.
Ouch. What was it you forgot to do as far as the cam bearing?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

May be the dumbest question but wouldnt hurt to ask, if anyone & if it is a possibility to blow a motor by a bad Opti? Assuming Opti’s can show any kind of ignition problem there is Pre-ignite, intake back-fire, wrong timing cause by the rotor, ect. Luckily mine I’ve havent ran into very many problems.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

I spun a rod bearing on a stock bottom end after spinning it to 6700-6800 RPM's for two/three years.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Ouch. What was it you forgot to do as far as the cam bearing?
Didn't use enough oil on the journals when stabbing it is my guess. It spun freely when I put it in. Seemed a little sticky the next day when I buttoned everything up. Dopey me.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LTX blown-up story:

The head of the exhaust valve on the #2 cylinder broke off (NOT on a high speed run, steady state 55 mph) - it bounces off the piston a few times, shatters the piston into a million tiny pieces, radically bends the connecting rod, and then the wrist pins rips two places into the cylinder bore and hits coolant!

Less than fun!

But, as a happy post-script, my 355 is now a 383!

: )
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Oh I've got some good pics for this one

Shoppe (rolling blunderz) sets the shaft rockers after around 1500km break in and left the intake valve adjustment loose. When I got home heard loud ticking in the driveway and shut it down. Pulled the valve cover and found the adjustment but sitting near the drain back and a bit of smacking visible on the valve tip. Shoppe emails back saying "no need to replace retainers these are high performance parts they are built for abuse". Few days later dropped a valve at wot in 3rd.. I'm sure you guys can guess which of the 16 it was Retainer split. Carnage pics to come...
Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When I got my 95 it had been sitting outside with no intake for 4 years. When I got it home we drained 11qts of water out of the pan before ever seeing any oil.

For the hell of it we threw the intake back on and attempted to get it to run. The motor was stuck at first because water had been sitting in the #8 cylinder but when it finally broke loose she fired right up. It was making the most horrible noises I've ever heard but had 40psi of oil pressure. Shut it off and checked the rockers everything was fine so I figured it was a rod(s). Pulled the motor and it turned out to be the crank smacking the windage tray. Over time water sitting in the pan had froze and expanded bending the tray up into the crank. Believe it or not the crank was still smooth and within spec
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
When I got my 95 it had been sitting outside with no intake for 4 years. When I got it home we drained 11qts of water out of the pan before ever seeing any oil.

For the hell of it we threw the intake back on and attempted to get it to run. The motor was stuck at first because water had been sitting in the #8 cylinder but when it finally broke loose she fired right up. It was making the most horrible noises I've ever heard but had 40psi of oil pressure. Shut it off and checked the rockers everything was fine so I figured it was a rod(s). Pulled the motor and it turned out to be the crank smacking the windage tray. Over time water sitting in the pan had froze and expanded bending the tray up into the crank. Believe it or not the crank was still smooth and within spec
Lol im assuming you didnt put tape on the ports and nothing to cover the lifter valley?!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Lol im assuming you didnt put tape on the ports and nothing to cover the lifter valley?!
Not me the guy I bought it from did. He removed the intake and didn't realize water would get in the motor even with the hood shut. It sat like that for years
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock 350 LT1 with 72K miles threw a rod that hit the Cam seizing it and causing the Cam dowel pin to snap off, 1 cracked piston due to P2V contact, 5 pistons sustained hits bending the valves/pushrods.

Car just received LTs, new Opti and Tune by Tick Performance was loaded on a trailer and delivered to my wife in Florida. Threw Rod in 3rd gear not far down the road on the first drive... Still upset about it all.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
Not me the guy I bought it from did. He removed the intake and didn't realize water would get in the motor even with the hood shut. It sat like that for years
Yikes. That happened to my car where the intake was off, car was outside, poured, changed the oil and got over a gallon of water out of the pan before the oil started coming out.

Quick Reply: LTx blown motor horror story threads