LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Torqhead and 1997 Camaro SS Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torqhead and 1997 Camaro SS Air Intake

I am on the fence about ordering the Torqhead kit for my 97 SS. My concern is if the stock air intake will fit if the coilpacks are located on the valve covers. Has anyone installed this kit on a LT1 f body SS? I do not really want to relocate the coilpacks of I do not have to.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Measure how much room you have between the intake and VC. Call TH and ask how tall the coil packs are on their bracket.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Keep the SS intake, but take it off the engine. It's doing you no good. Replace it with aftermarket CAI into the fender. There is no spot that is more dead for airflow than in the center of the hood which means there is no "ram air" effect. CAI is far better.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you mount the coils on the valve cover the SS air box will not fit, so either relocate the coils or get a different CAI and mount the coils on the valve covers.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

In any case, the benefits of the Torqhead kit will outweigh the benefits of the SS intake.....so get the Torqhead and then figure it out.

Personally, I concur SS RRR.

Eeeeeuuu......I suddenly feel so dirty...... ......time for a way too hot shower.

KW
Old 02-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Keep the SS intake, but take it off the engine. It's doing you no good. Replace it with aftermarket CAI into the fender. There is no spot that is more dead for airflow than in the center of the hood which means there is no "ram air" effect. CAI is far better.
Just curious, has this ever been proven or just an assumption? Is a CAI a worthwhile upgrade for an SS?
Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGear
Just curious, has this ever been proven or just an assumption? Is a CAI a worthwhile upgrade for an SS?
Proven. The highest points of pressure on a hood are in the front and the cowl area. That's why you see a lot of race cars with cowl induction hoods. The SLP Firehawks with their induction in the front of the hood was true ram air. Basic f-bodys that had 3" cat back exhaust and CAI were pulling the same mid-to-high 13 second 1/4 times the SS was pulling back in the day. The extra power of the SS over the Z28 was in the catback and not ram air. Wasn't any real way to do a dyno comparison since there was no way to simulate the air pressure at high speeds. The other convenient thing about getting rid of the ram air (at least if working on the engine) is you don't have to remove it every time you want to do something to the engine.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default LT-1 Front Cover with Crank Sensor

Hi RB, I too have the IGN-8/ECU-882C AND this uses a Crankshaft Target Wheel that REPLACES The GM Four Tooth with a 24 Tooth Reluctor. ( My Product)
I have the GEN-IV coils that MANY mount in the Frame Rail/Oil Pan Area, a "clean" look. (hidden)

Will you be EFI or Carb ?

Lance, BTW my kit costs less

Quick Reply: Torqhead and 1997 Camaro SS Air Intake