LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how do you know if your lifters are good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how do you know if your lifters are good?

i recently bought some new compcam lifters for my 95 LT1 after putting them on and turning the car on , I did not get any oil at the top of the RR I looked at all the pushrods to see if they were cloged ,but nothing. Is it possible that the lifters are not good? any information would be good
Old 02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running the engine, priming it (via the oil pump) or doind something else? Sometimes it just takes a couple seconds for them to start oiling (under regular running oil pressure).
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i did it , i had already lubed the oil pump, and primed it to, and by a while i mean 15minutes and the car was up to 190, on the thermastat, and i had been picking the car up to 2000rpm--3500rpms and nothing
Old 02-23-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

a lot of times the new lifters need to pump up, and if they havent soaked in oil for a while, they have to load up on oil. When the car is cold or even starting to warm up, the oil is thick and it doesnt travel well through the lifter and up the pushrod. After the car is warm, make sure your oil pressure is good, and if it is, raise the rpms to 4-5k. Once the oil is warm, it can enter a lot easier into the lifter and be pumped easier up to the valve train. Once it breaches the tip of the pushrod, it should continuously sputter out, it just takes a while, espectially after a lifter replacement.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man, but is there any way to inspect the lifter to see if its faulty?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

If the engine was primed prior to, the lifters will pump up almost immediately after startup. Did you have the engine apart at any time? It sounds like you are missing the oil galley ball in the rear of the block which blocks oil to direct it to the cam and lifters.
If you don't have oil doing to the upper valvetrain, you better stop where you're at and find out why, NOW.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

if you have a chance, pull the intake and look in the lifter valley to see if there is any oil left in there. if it is dry, then check for the oil galley ball. Be very carefull, you could have already damaged a cam bearing if the liftervalley is dry and n oil is making its way to the top of the engine.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SAPPER
If the engine was primed prior to, the lifters will pump up almost immediately after startup. Did you have the engine apart at any time? It sounds like you are missing the oil galley ball in the rear of the block which blocks oil to direct it to the cam and lifters.
If you don't have oil doing to the upper valvetrain, you better stop where you're at and find out why, NOW.

can you tell me were to find the oil galley, I have never head of it, and yes the engine was apart a while back.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

But was the engine running after the engine was apart and assembled or is it just now being assembled.
The galley ball is in the back of the block in a verticle galley. Located under the rear main cap. There is a large hole on the 1,3,5,7 side that goes straight up to the oil press. sending unit port. The ball can be punched out from the top. It must be in there, If it is not loose in there, then you have another issue blocking oil to the upper system. Possibly, if the motor was ever rebuilt, it might have not been thoroughly cleaned and some debris had broken loose and plugged something up. It's hard to say.
I don't want to sound evil, but you have serious problems, my friend.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the engine was running after it was apart. And this would be my second time taking it apart. Is there any diagram that showes were the oil galley is , and all the 1,3,5,7 holes that you were talking about? So what your telling me is that there is a small ball in his hole that moves? Lets say that there is debris in some of these holes, can they be cleaned out? Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, the ball is in place to stop oil from going in this certain direction an provides oil pressure and direct oil to the cam/upper valve train assy. The hole was there due to machining processes during manufacturing of the block. The ball is not supposed to move. In the older, Gen I blocks, they utilized a galley plug like the ones in the fromt of the block around the cam boss (3 little plugs [The LT1 plugs in the front have small holes in the center for oil to reach the timing assy])
You have to remove the rear main cap to observe this ball. The 1,3,5,7 holes are meaning the odd side of the block or drivers side.
If there is any garbage in the oil galleys prventing oil flow, the entire motor will have to be torn down and the block be thoroughly cleaned. When most rebuilds are conducted, may people do not "properly" clean the blocks and cranks. I had seen some nasty stuff come out after a hottanking, etc.
Remeber this, I am only giving the worst case scenario, there may be something simple causing this.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics would help my buddy out, he needs all the help he can get.

Quick Reply: how do you know if your lifters are good?