LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are aluminum or cast iron heads better for modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are aluminum or cast iron heads better for modifying?

The car is a '94 Impala "9C1" cop car with cast iron heads (2.00" int.) and 3.73:1 gears. We plan to install the GM Hot Cam (however, we are open for suggestions), 2400 stall, and NOS. The car will be a daily driver.

Recently we picked up a set of aluminum heads (1.94" int.) off of '93 camaro Z28. We would like to invest some money (< $1000) in the heads, however, we don't know which heads to use and what we should do to them to reap the most benefits. We were considering decking the aluminum heads to increase the compression, installing 2.00" intake valves, and doing some mild porting. But we really don't know if this is the right set of heads and head work to produce the best results for a street car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

p.s. - I'm a newbie to LT1 modifying
Old 08-10-2005, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

go to www.eportworks.com and get the LE1 package send him the aluminum heads to work over you will get great power and this fits in your budget well, it will be much better than the HOT cam.
On the stall I would strongly recommend you stay away from the 2400 stall I am fairly sure you are refering to the SLP 12" unit. Your money would be much better spent getting a little more stall in a 9.5" converter like an Edge, Yank or Vig, have heard good things about Midwest converters too and they and Edge are more budget freindly that the other two. A 2800 in one of these will drive as well maybe better than a 2400 12" and deliver a lot more performance. I put a 2800 Edge in my Caprice and drive it through Wisconsin winters, wife doesn't even mind it it drives so well.
You will need programming as well pcmforless.com or madz28.com are the top two picks.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Teching In

you'll be much happier with the extra compression and weight savings you get from aluminums. especially with a boat like that
Old 08-12-2005, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackZtpi
you'll be much happier with the extra compression and weight savings you get from aluminums. especially with a boat like that
The extra compression is necessary because aluminum pumps more heat into the cooling system where it is WASTED, aluminum REQUIRES more compression to equal irons power. On the weight we are talking under 50lbs. on a car that is over 4000lbs without driver, doesn't amount to jack, these things hook suprizingly well to so the weight transfer arguement is weak as well.
I do think he should start with the aluminum heads but not because of the ignorant reasons you posted. Actual good reasons include they already have screwin rocker studs, they will be cheaper to ship to Lloyd, they are already off the car so it is not torn down during the porting just once the new parts arrive. Lloyd has even posted that stock for stock the irons will make more power, due to better stock flow and thermal efficiency which is why they don't need as much compression.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
go to www.eportworks.com and get the LE1 package send him the aluminum heads to work over you will get great power and this fits in your budget well, it will be much better than the HOT cam.
On the stall I would strongly recommend you stay away from the 2400 stall I am fairly sure you are refering to the SLP 12" unit. Your money would be much better spent getting a little more stall in a 9.5" converter like an Edge, Yank or Vig, have heard good things about Midwest converters too and they and Edge are more budget freindly that the other two. A 2800 in one of these will drive as well maybe better than a 2400 12" and deliver a lot more performance. I put a 2800 Edge in my Caprice and drive it through Wisconsin winters, wife doesn't even mind it it drives so well.
You will need programming as well pcmforless.com or madz28.com are the top two picks.
Right on. The Le1 would do awesome man, and its right in your price range. You can def look into milling the heads to raise compression. Also some thinner head gaskets like the Mr. Gasket 5716's would help alittle as well. You can also get a custom cam to match the heads, that would be better than the hotcam.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. that's what I'm getting after this Winter, LE1 is a great package espically with some supporting mods like they say on the site.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies! Please keep your opinions coming.

FYI - the car will be a daily driver in the summer when it is finished, but for now it's a secondary vehicle and it doesn't matter how long the car is down. Therefore, the down time required to take the cast iron heads off the car and send them out to be machined is not a determining factor. I'm only concerned with the final product; which head will produces the most power, with and without NO2. Again, thanks for the replies and keep them coming.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Either set of heads can be made to work very well, the already screwin studs on the aluminums saving you the money it would cost to add them to the irons and the money saved shipping Lloyd the aluminums over the irons are the determining factor here.

Quick Reply: Are aluminum or cast iron heads better for modifying?