LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Recipe for the ultimate LT1 sleeper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recipe for the ultimate LT1 sleeper?

I browsed through an issue of Chevy High Performance(or Super Chevy, I forget which) recently and it had the sweetest article about showing up with a Plain Jane, Plain Brown Wrapper, Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, etc etc. The article really appealled to me.

It went on to quote Teddy Roosevelt on the "Speak softly and carry a big stick" and whatnot.

The article really captured my interest and I think I may go after that goal. Not so much to surprise people at stoplights(it will be tempting, but I'm going to stop street racing, I got caught once and won't have my license back until Feb, so I think I've learned my lesson), but more so to show up at the local car meet every week or so looking and sounding completely stock until I pop the hood and present a dyno graph and/or timeslips.

I'd say these are my ultimate goals:
-Appear completely stock
-Sound damn near stock(no lope in the cam, no !cats, etc etc)
-Run high 12s on street tires, low 12s on DRs
-Let it be nitrous-friendly to spray some extra fun
-Remain usable as a daily driver

What would you guys suggest to achieve these goals? I'm thinking to remain as streetable and quiet as possible, invest most of the money into suspension and drivetrain and possibly weight reduction.

Something along the lines of this:
-3.73s(I have an auto)
-Stall converter in the 2800 range I'd guess, but I would have to consult whoever grinds a cam for the final decision
-Shift kit

-Adjustable torque arm, panhard rod, shocks, springs(but retain stock ride height!), LCAs.
-New K-member to drop about 40lbs from the front
-Mickey Thompson DRs(I've heard they stick like glue )

-Ported heads and an "old man cam" ... I've heard that tons of lift and less duration helps to shut up the lope?
-Lightweight battery or move a regular battery to the rear
-E-WP
-Midlength headers
-Whatever cats... lol
-The quietest freakin catback available, I've heard that the Dynomax catbacks are extremely quiet
-Electric cutout for the surprise factor right before a run

-Nitrous. I'm thinking that I'll wait to do this until I have the engine rebuild with all forged internals(or at least pistons I suppose) to handle something insane like a 200 or more shot. If I use the cheater gas, I want it to at least hit 10s, but in my mind it would bad-*** to hit the single digits

With forged internals, upgraded fuel pump, window switch, bottle heater, N20 pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge, bottle heater, direct port kit(or possibly wet, not sure what the limiting factor would be).

The lines won't need to be hidden, I'd like to just surprise whoever is looking at my car when I pop the hood. That's where it counts

I'm thinking that if this is too much power for a 245 wide tire, maybe I could even go so far as to send out the rear rims to get widened to say 9.5" ?

What do you guys think?
Anyone with a sleeper car themselves please chime in!
I need to know if this is a pipe dream or if forced induction would be the only feasible way of doing this.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A forged 355/383 build up with a mild nitrous-purpose cam and a healthy wet shot and I'd call it good.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
A forged 355/383 build up with a mild nitrous-purpose cam and a healthy wet shot and I'd call it good.
Exactly, in a well set up car that can turn 10s easily in a car thats set up for it. The huge problem with having a sleeper car is, yeahs it nice to seem stock, how ever it only takes rolling out on one car before people start noticing the cars fast and they remember it. Down here I noticed the people who run their mouths about LT1s have stock/bolt on Ls1s or Mustangs they dont race any way. Guys that I know with 9-10 sec Stangs and LS1 cars knows whats up and that you can make these cars run really hard. But people talk, and you roll on enough cars, the cats out of the bag. We have an Lt1 Hawk down here, T trim, 396 car also has a healthy shot of dope on it, it doesnt sound any thing riduclous minus the blower whine but every one knows that car aint no punk. People figure it out after a while.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Launching!

le3 heads and a big cam with alot of lsa like 116
Old 12-19-2005, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Using LSA to bandaid to large a duration results in disappointment and "little" cam can deliver a whole lot more performance than the average poster on the f-body boards is willing to believe.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys!

I don't want a sleeper for racing purposes... mainly to stay humble and surprise people at car shows.

Maybe making it look good and just run 12s would be smarter... girls don't care how fast your car is, only how well it looks
Old 12-19-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe making it look good and just run 12s would be smarter... girls don't care how fast your car is, only how well it looks
well not where I live, girls love the fast cars.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

my car runs the times in sig with bolts on's and ZR1's and nittos drag radials
Old 12-19-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MOST of the girls that matter like the fast cars where I live
Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My Caprice ran 13.6 on street tires at over 4400lbs. the same night it went the 13.2, I believe there is a little more left in the combo too but will not get to test that theory. That was with stock heads yet and just a mailorder 87 octane tune and some fuel issues at the very topend of the track. That cam is not ideal either intake lift is very low the other specs allow it to stay quite mild. This is a Caprice though while yeah I am hauling around a lot more weight so it would seem a similarly setup f-body would be faster the b-body hooks very well, when I race f-bodies at the strip if we have similar ETs I blow their doors off the first 1/8th then they come charging up and MPH much higher, this is even with me on street tires.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TNMuscle
well not where I live, girls love the fast cars.
Ricers are the big craze here. Maybe VA girls are dumb?

I think I will try to just save up to get the basic bolt ons(LTs, y pipe, already have an e-cutout, maybe stall, possibly gears, shiftkit, CAI, etc) and then just rebuild an 8.5 or 9.0:1 fully forged shortblock, throw some LE1 or LE2 heads and cam package on there, then save for forced induction? I think that is the only way I will really be happy.

Streetable 600whp would be quite bitchin

Especially if it looks bone stock
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are some ricers here but the girls that hang out with them are either walking sticks, or walking mountains
Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flatlander757
Ricers are the big craze here. Maybe VA girls are dumb?

I think I will try to just save up to get the basic bolt ons(LTs, y pipe, already have an e-cutout, maybe stall, possibly gears, shiftkit, CAI, etc) and then just rebuild an 8.5 or 9.0:1 fully forged shortblock, throw some LE1 or LE2 heads and cam package on there, then save for forced induction? I think that is the only way I will really be happy.

Streetable 600whp would be quite bitchin

Especially if it looks bone stock
Dude, please don't think that ricers are the craze at Va Beach....I know there are alot of ricers there, but there are also alot of fast f-bods, mustangs, and regals/t-types... I'm not that far from you and they frown on rice and laugh at them here...The only import that gets respect is a Supra around here....

As far as your combo goes, if you want a "sleeper" setup, you can go with the "cadillac" cam and some AFR 220s and a 150 of the squeeze..Nitrous doesn't make a sound..Unless you have a backfire..LOL Go with a 3000 or larger stall and spray out the whole and you should be very competitive with the locals.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:55 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tuned a nice smooth running, quite car Friday in So Cal. Real sleeper.
My new hero Tom Nelson (Nelson Racing Engines) built it. That dude knows what he is doing. It was a 1994 Calloway Vette, which now has a Vortech blown Nelson Racing Engines 383" LT4 in it. Idles dead smooth @ 800 rpm, drives nice, through quite Calloway exhaust, w/two Cats. It made an easy 703 SAE rwhp and 620 ft lbs torque on the dyno at L.A.P.D. Dyno. Damn near undrivable above 75% throttle angle. Real hard on tires. <G> Runs on California 91 octane, which we all know is crap. The car is going to Arlington, Texas.

Forgot how bad the traffic and smog is in the L.A. area. Five lane freeways (each way) going 20 mph. Had sinus drainage for three days. Just loved it.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
Dude, please don't think that ricers are the craze at Va Beach....I know there are alot of ricers there, but there are also alot of fast f-bods, mustangs, and regals/t-types... I'm not that far from you and they frown on rice and laugh at them here...The only import that gets respect is a Supra around here....

As far as your combo goes, if you want a "sleeper" setup, you can go with the "cadillac" cam and some AFR 220s and a 150 of the squeeze..Nitrous doesn't make a sound..Unless you have a backfire..LOL Go with a 3000 or larger stall and spray out the whole and you should be very competitive with the locals.
Well I guess I was mainly referring to girls in my school. LOL.

I know that wet shot nitrous kits are limited by head flow... but do direct port kits suffer from the same thing? I think it would be cool to have a purpose built nitrous motor for something like a 2 stage 100 shot at 3000 rpms and another 125 or 150 shot at 4000 or 4500 rpms(225-250 total).

Not to mention it could be quite fun messing around with the purge nozzles

LT14LIFE JT: are you a member of www.tidewaterracing.com ??? That's the local hot musclecar board. You should join.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Girls generally know nothing about cars. Just assume that, and exclude them from any conversations you may have about them. It will make your life much easier.

And if you're from the seven city's, you need to get on www.sevencityracing.com
Old 12-20-2005, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Talking

You want the ultimate sleeper? Try this on for size!
http://www.regionofdoomforum.com/Upl...igbadbuick.bmp
http://www.tamparacing.com/photopost.../17021sig1.jpg

That car has a nitrous heads and cam 350cid LT1 with a TH350 and highway gears. Just think of how much of a sleeper that would be with a 408cid stroker motor and a small cam with good heads.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

You could always do what this guy did, swap in a turbo buick motor

http://gmhightechperformance.com/fea...9gmhtp_byebye/
Old 12-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Launching!

ultimate sleeper lt1 would be a forged 355 with le1 heads and cam and a 150-200 shot should sound near stock with good tuning and pull low 11's to high 10's on the juice
Old 12-20-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Untimate sleeper?

380-402 Stroker with a 70-76mm Turbo

Cam will be small and not give away any tell tail sign's of what is about to be laid out for all to see

Add a Electric cut out on a WOT switch and your job is done

Not that I have thought about this much or have plans to replace the 12:1CR 6.2L LT1 I fired off tonight

Quick Reply: Recipe for the ultimate LT1 sleeper?