LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Cam Rant! Others Will Agree With Me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lt1 Cam Rant! Others Will Agree With Me!

STOP and try somthing else! Im sick and tired of LT1 guys doing the same thing over and over again....You say its proven? Yet the big number/big power guys tell you other wise

The Hot cam is a tiny winy baby cam, along with the other 4 off the self cams that have been talked about millions of times, It is so much better to go with a nice custom ground cam!

What are you guys scared of?Your only holding your selfs back by sticking to the same stuff over and over again

LOOK AT THE FAST/ BIG POWER GUYS ON HERE FOR HELP!!!!! THERES A REASON WHY THERE CAR MOVES OUT!

That is my Rant
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree completely.

All of the "is the cc305 enough or should I move up to the..." posts totally have no clue.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 AM
11 Second Club

I thought cam selection had everything to do with how you wanted to use the car? Not everyone will want to use the big power cams. Alot of the repeat questions about cams is due to newer members just wanting to know. Nothing wrong with that. People join and post in forums like this so they can get a clue. Its not the same "have no clue members" asking the same question over and over again. Just because you have seen the questions and opinions before does not mean that others have. So for the record, I dont agree.

Mec
Old 01-03-2007, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its whatever the owner wants...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to mention there are about 30 off-the-shelf cams available for the LT1 and probably not 30 rwhp difference between the best and the worse. Surely, there's something out that fits everybody's needs.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 AM
10 Second Club

I am going to have to agree with slick. I think that buying an off the shelf cam will perform fine but a custom grind cam will do exactly what you want it to. It will be taylored to your wants and give you the power gains you expect. But I also think it is personal preference.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:38 AM
9 Second Club

agree and disagree....

a custom cam will get you exactly what you need but big cams are not always fun. the cam SEVERELY alters the way a car runs, starts, idles, drives..... so bigger would be better for power but it's all based on what you intend to do with the car, the displacement, the cylinder head flow, etc.... if you have stock heads you can put a monster cam in your car but have fun enjoying it cuz it's gonna suck *****.....

everthing is relative and all based around the combo. If you have "Hot cam" heads then a hot cam is what you need..... If you have AFR 227's fully hogged out with a single plane intake then you should have a custom ground solid roller with over .650 lift and monster duration cuz "driveability" should have become your least worry anyways....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
agree and disagree....

a custom cam will get you exactly what you need but big cams are not always fun. the cam SEVERELY alters the way a car runs, starts, idles, drives..... so bigger would be better for power but it's all based on what you intend to do with the car, the displacement, the cylinder head flow, etc.... if you have stock heads you can put a monster cam in your car but have fun enjoying it cuz it's gonna suck *****.....

everthing is relative and all based around the combo. If you have "Hot cam" heads then a hot cam is what you need..... If you have AFR 227's fully hogged out with a single plane intake then you should have a custom ground solid roller with over .650 lift and monster duration cuz "driveability" should have become your least worry anyways....
I agree, ive done it all with my LT1, I started with a LT4 hotcam and ended with a Bret Bauer one-off cam. The Hotcam propelled the car to 12.086 @ 113mph, the Bauer cam never saw the track sadly but felt waaaaay stronger then the hotcam.

You gotta match your cam choice to what you want as a car. There are some Proven off the shelf grinds. Not everyone is a cam buff and knows LT1's inside and out. They just bought a car and want more power but dont want the headaches
Old 01-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

I posted my cam question to hear tried and tested results from multiple people. I don't care how many cam posts come up, someone has tried something new since the last post every time. Just like the guy who seems to have posted this thread on account of the thread I recently posted. He has a new idea, just didn't quite express it right. I want a cam that lopes cause I love the sound. That's what means the most to me. I don't make enough $ to through 2 thousand dollars on a set of heads, or a fancy intake with porting. What if your motor is not much more than factory? Thus a production cam designed for these stock LT1's may work just as well. I know, they all say if you wanna play you gotta pay. Well, I've seen alot of guys nickle and dime a car build by self porting heads (maybe something used off an old corvette) and piece things together with what they can get. That how I was taught to build. It's more hands on than just throwing money at something new and more rewarding to know that you made it work well on your own.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

most of the "custom" cams people are getting arent as special as they think. actually, many of them are already existing grinds!

you can get a used 230/236 for cheap nowadays.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Doesn't Comp Cam's well atleast when I called last time. make a custom grind cam for like $200-$300 that will be my next cam most likely i like the 305 for now though
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Gun5
Doesn't Comp Cam's well atleast when I called last time. make a custom grind cam for like $200-$300 that will be my next cam most likely i like the 305 for now though

Yes but I called them, they just get some information and then give you a grind number, they do not go into details with you.

My cam grinder will not spec a cam for me untill I give him my new head flow numbers then after that I will most likley send my stall back for a restall.

I would never buy a cam off the shelf... big custom based off my combo for me.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Yes but I called them, they just get some information and then give you a grind number, they do not go into details with you.

My cam grinder will not spec a cam for me untill I give him my new head flow numbers then after that I will most likley send my stall back for a restall.

I would never buy a cam off the shelf... big custom based off my combo for me.
hmm guess id get a loyd cam since i got his LE2 heads
Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i had a custom cam from schneider racing cams. I like it much much better than any offer the shelfer.

I agree but disagree also.
You dont want a extreme custom grind if your going to a mild street car.
But in most cases a custom grind is better.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=goodrich969]yeah i had a custom cam from schneider racing cams. I like it much much better than any offer the shelfer.

I agree but disagree also.
You dont want a extreme custom grind if your going to a mild street car.
But in most cases a custom grind is better.[/QUOT

I also agree, you dont need to go with a full out crazy grind....
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

indeed, why get a $500 cam for your otherwise stock car?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i also agree and disagree. A custom cam is a smart way to go, but when you get a lightly used cc305 with springs, locks, and retainers for $75 you cant pass it up.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Teching In

[B] Okay here's the scoop guys, Im selling my 1999 Pont. firebird, and the replacement is a 1994 Z28 LT1 6 speed manual. Im wanting to build this baby up for heavy street strip. I need some suggestions on what cam to go with! Ive been hearing about MF15 I dont know who makes this cam, or anything about it! I just want a nice cam where all I have to change is the springs maybe push rods. I want something with good RPM range. I WANT THE BIGGEST CAM I CAN GET WITHOUT HAVING TO DO HEAD WORK! any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lady_hot_rod
[B] Okay here's the scoop guys, Im selling my 1999 Pont. firebird, and the replacement is a 1994 Z28 LT1 6 speed manual. Im wanting to build this baby up for heavy street strip. I need some suggestions on what cam to go with! Ive been hearing about MF15 I dont know who makes this cam, or anything about it! I just want a nice cam where all I have to change is the springs maybe push rods. I want something with good RPM range. I WANT THE BIGGEST CAM I CAN GET WITHOUT HAVING TO DO HEAD WORK! any suggestions?
Make a thread of your own and you'll get more responses. Not sure if you'll like what you get, though.

Custom cams will almost always make more power than off the shelf items, but that doesn't mean they're for everyone. The hotcam kit sells for a reason and there is and always will be a market for a complete kit with guaranteed horsepower. Just cause it doesn't suit you, doesn't mean you should condemn those who want it. I know you're just ranting, but it really doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

i agree. i have the cc503 and i want to step up to something bigger...but i think i'll just spray and be happy

Quick Reply: Lt1 Cam Rant! Others Will Agree With Me!