LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s

After 6 months of waiting, we finally had a meeting with a few molding companies to go over pricing and some other things. With the cost of the mold, and other costs, the plastic intake we had designed would cost the consumer over $900.00. Gains would have been mabe 15-20 hp with little increases in torque. We figured that was WAY too much for an untested manifold. So thats a no-go.

What we stumbled on now was kinda by accident. We started customizing HSRs (Holley Stealth Rams) for L98 C4 corvettes. For those who dont know, The HSR will not fit underneath the hood. So after welding, machining, and cutting we have a good intake manifold for them. And its selling well. But I kinda wondered, what hp and trq #s would a LT1 see with this manifold? Ive seen other manifolds with longer runners on a few camaros and some of there #s, and since we already had an HSR chopped and ready to go underneath the hood, we thought what the hell.

The test car was a 1993 vette auto
Afr 180cc elim. heads
comp 503 cam w/ 1.6rrs
shorty headers
slp exhaust
msd ignition
32lb injectors
vortex ram air
52mm tb
The car with the stock lt1 intake pulled 365rwhp and 354rwtq

The first test with the HSR the #s were an improvement but we new we could do a little more tweaking to the intake. We went through 3 HSRs messing with runner length, plenum volume, runner volume and so forth until we found the best match.

With this particular HSR setup, and tuned, we noticed 28rwtq @3200rpm over the lt1 manifold. At 6200rpm, the HSR had 14.3rwhp more than the lt1. After 6200rpm, the HSR lost some power to the lt1 intake. So in the end, with the modified HSR, The vette gained, at its peaks, 23.1rwhp and 28.6rwtq over the lt1 intake manifold. The modified HSR out performed the smaller runner'd Lt1 up to 6200rpm.

Now that has us thinking. We will continue to play with the runners and the volume to try and push the 6200 up a bit without sacraficing those awesome torque gains.

Now, what we need is somebody here that has a stock or bolt-on Lt1 camaro in the Maryland area, close to hanover in AA county to come by our shop so we can measure how much clearance you have under the hood and then get some dyno #s later on. If you could PM me we can set up a time for you to stop by. If you guys have any questions let'm rip. This is very close to being done.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GGPC
After 6 months of waiting, we finally had a meeting with a few molding companies to go over pricing and some other things. With the cost of the mold, and other costs, the plastic intake we had designed would cost the consumer over $900.00. Gains would have been mabe 15-20 hp with little increases in torque. We figured that was WAY too much for an untested manifold. So thats a no-go.
aaaahhh i wouldve bought it anyways
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

HOLY ****! i cant wait to hear about this. and i hope it works out with the clearances, **** if not i'll cut a hole in my hood. but what are the prices gunna be like for one of these when they are all done?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much and when can I order one????
If I was closer you could use my car but im in chicago. Im tring to built a super stout stock shortblock NA Lt1 so that intake sounds right where I need it to be. Let me know! ANy pics of this intake?
AC
Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
aaaahhh i wouldve bought it anyways
x2.....
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
HOLY ****! i cant wait to hear about this. and i hope it works out with the clearances, **** if not i'll cut a hole in my hood. but what are the prices gunna be like for one of these when they are all done?
Prices are the wildcard. It depends on how much cutting we have to do to get the HSR to fit in the camaros. A good chunk has to come off to get it to fit in the vettes. Im hoping it wont be so labor intensive with your guys camaros. So far we know this:

HSR (vortec style) $375.00
Modified fuel rails and fuel line adapters $250.00

Now it all comes down to good old labor. We just bought a plasma cutter to shorten the time modifying. We are also playing with the idea of making this a air gap for a cooler charge of air. The vette piece has this and we have welded the plenum to the base and made it a one piece manifold. We have injected other modifications to get over 275cfm of flow. So far, so good.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder how much you'd have to chop off to fit under a caprice hood?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buffman
I wonder how much you'd have to chop off to fit under a caprice hood?
Hey, theres another option. If anybody has a caprice or impala in the Maryland area, Pm me.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

I know of a lot of people in Maryland with Bbodies. I'll spready the word
Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Can we get a pic of what the intake will look like? If it's being kept under wraps till production thats fine but it would be nice to see what we're looking at.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buffman
I know of a lot of people in Maryland with Bbodies. I'll spready the word
Thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by borninatransam
Can we get a pic of what the intake will look like? If it's being kept under wraps till production thats fine but it would be nice to see what we're looking at.
Yeah, thats no problem. We have one just about ready to throw on a 85 vette w/ 383. We also need to paint it but it should be done soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK I am close and wouldn't mind bringing my bolt-on only car down for this, send me the details your thinking about...

Also does the hood need to be a stock hood for you to measure the clearance? I have the crossmembers removed from my stock hood so I have another 1/2 - 3/4" then stock...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sound like it might work ?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

So would it be made into a mold or would you just cut chop and rebuild the SR?

One piece or two piece design in the end?

Maybe offer two different intakes one that has an operating range of this to that, unless you can get one the performs as solid as the first all the way through the rpms

The longer the intake runners hurt it in its top end, look at the tpi intake...
Torque monster down low because of the longer runners, but lacks in top end.

Just for reference I was looking at a sheetmetal intake someone made with six inch runners gained 47rwtq at 3000 rpm...but lost 20 at 7000rpm.

But like a saying goes "Horsepower sells the car, torque wins the race"

I wouldnt mind losing a 5rwhp above 6 grand If i gained 35-50rwtq down low...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$900 isnt bad.

Any pictures of said test intake?

And if you need a big C.I stroker for a test bunny, i can take my single plane off in 15min and do a swap
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would bet the Heads are holding your testing back. we have ran into this before doing intake work on thiese cars.

One of the reasons I have 210cc modified stock heads We fixed that nasty problem finaly

Looks promising. I know of one other guy who did the HSR converions. We have a HSR sitting here for one of our projects

Keep us posted!

BTW They sure flow good with the plenum off don't they
Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
So would it be made into a mold or would you just cut chop and rebuild the SR?

One piece or two piece design in the end?

Maybe offer two different intakes one that has an operating range of this to that, unless you can get one the performs as solid as the first all the way through the rpms

The longer the intake runners hurt it in its top end, look at the tpi intake...
Torque monster down low because of the longer runners, but lacks in top end.

Just for reference I was looking at a sheetmetal intake someone made with six inch runners gained 47rwtq at 3000 rpm...but lost 20 at 7000rpm.

But like a saying goes "Horsepower sells the car, torque wins the race"

I wouldnt mind losing a 5rwhp above 6 grand If i gained 35-50rwtq down low...
All your points are Exactly what we were talking about today. This will be a one piece design because we have removed the bolt provisions to increase plenum volume. So we will be welding it to the manifold. We are also going to make this an air gap to get some of that cooler air to the runners.

We will be making each one by hand. I want to custom make each HSR to the modifications on the customers cars. Thats really the only way to do it. The one that was tested on the vette had close to 5 inch runners. Problem with the vette is thats as long as the runners can get without reccesing the plenum over the runners destroying the air flow just to get it to fit. I hope the camaros/firebirds are different.

There is some R/D left in this but I am confident this will finally work! We have the plans and the tools ready for this. I am very interested in how this will perform on a stock/bolt on Lt1. Soon as we get the measurements, we will make a couple prototypes. I want to get them to some of you guys to try out for a week and give me feedback. Soon as we can get some data back from them we can make a template of each kind of modified car and know how to customize this thing. We have hired a very good welder in the area to help us out. If this thing takes off, we'll need a couple more.

The big trick is cutting the runners down to the point where it will show hp gains up over 6500rpm for those with bigger cams and still increase low end torque over the LT1. We'll find a way.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I would bet the Heads are holding your testing back. we have ran into this before doing intake work on thiese cars.

One of the reasons I have 210cc modified stock heads We fixed that nasty problem finaly

Looks promising. I know of one other guy who did the HSR converions. We have a HSR sitting here for one of our projects

Keep us posted!

Yeah, those heads were a little anemic. Its a guys street car. Doesn't see track time. That manifold would surely help him out.

'BTW They sure flow good with the plenum off don't they' 275cfm each runner, unported
Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Speed Density
$900 isnt bad.

Any pictures of said test intake?

And if you need a big C.I stroker for a test bunny, i can take my single plane off in 15min and do a swap
We should have pics soon. It will be of a C4 L98 modified version though. We could use a stroker. All the info and #s we can get. Only helps us out.

Quick Reply: New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s