Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Thanksgiving Install! Any Tips Before I Dive In?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thanksgiving Install! Any Tips Before I Dive In?

Finally got around to buying a new Slave Cylinder cause my crappy clutch pedal sticks all the time. I've googled like mad and used up the search tool on here, I got a lot of great info, anyone want to throw in there two cents on how there installs went and if they have any tips for me? I.E " Don't do this...or your screwed." LOL thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes and take pics as well, hopefully I can have a write up on it a little after the holiday, Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of master cylinder do you have? have you tried the drill mod? have you tried bleeding the system? Im just making sure that you know that the slave is the bad part and not something else.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
what kind of master cylinder do you have? have you tried the drill mod? have you tried bleeding the system? Im just making sure that you know that the slave is the bad part and not something else.
I have the stock master cylinder, I'm not gonna do the drill mod cause I have no problem banging through all my gears at WOT. I never have trouble getting in gear, whether I'm racing or strolling around town, I just find it more and more annoying that my clutch pedal sticks halfway up, then after 5 seconds releases and taps the bottom of my foot.
I have taken my car to the dealership and to a transmission shop. They both said they weren't sure what it was and said they would replace the master first and if it wasn't that then they would do the slave. I wasn't satisfied with that and had the dealership flush my fluid. It did nothing. I used a mity vac, one or two small bubbles came up, made no difference. I then was driving around one knight and stopped at a light and revved up a few times hard at a stoplight with the clutch in , when I went to take off, my clutch pedal was stuck to the floor! Took a long time for it to come back to life. My theory is that when I revved up with the clutch pedal in it heated up the slave, causing the piston in the slave to bind in its bore therefore not releasing the pedal. Also, sometimes if I pump my clutch pedal like 10-15 times really fast and hard, the clutch will magically start working perfectly, then slowely return to sticking half way up, even cruisin around town.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

the hydraulics in these cars suck really bad especially in the 98-00 years. I would probably try the master cylinder first, either a 01-02 master cylinder or the adjustable master from tick performance http://www.tick-performance.com/cata...ody/driveline/

how many miles on the car?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-22-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it a stock clutch? Is your clutch engaging where it should?If it engages too close to the floor then put a shim behind the slave...I say this because I just found that I have this problem and am going to pull my trans and slave to install a $15 shim
Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Is it a stock clutch? Is your clutch engaging where it should?If it engages too close to the floor then put a shim behind the slave...I say this because I just found that I have this problem and am going to pull my trans and slave to install a $15 shim
It does engage fairly close to the floor, I have a stock clutch
Old 11-22-2008, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

i just swapped out mine for an 01-02 slave, and my pedal still sticks, didn't do drill mod, but plan on a new master this winter, and if that doesn't work, a new clutch, but, have fun lol. Ive done all my mods in my sig myself, but i gotta say this was most difficult. had no lift, and pulling the trans out while laying on your back was no easy task , even with my brother, trying to manever it back in place with two jacks lol, had to call my dad over to get it back in. but with, a lift, and big stand jack, this shouldn't be too hard. let me know how it goes, and if still sticks.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
It does engage fairly close to the floor, I have a stock clutch
Hmm, its usually aftermarket clutches that need the shim. DO you have shifting issues at high rpms? If so maybe try the shim.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No shifting isues ever. Just annoys me to have the clutch pedal sticking half way up all the time. It never effects me getting into gear