Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Not shifting properly after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Not shifting properly after rebuild

Put everything back together. I can go into the bottom 2 or 3 gears but in neutral the shifter handle is all the way forward and I cant push forward anymore to go into 1st 2nd etc. Whats the deal?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you test the shifting while the trans was out on the bench, after the rebuild?

It is possible to miss the shifter pivot hole with the shifter, but I can't tell from your description.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Launching!

its still on the bench. Everythings together. I havent sealed the tailhousing yet. just put a few bolts in it and bolted the shifter on. Im wondering if I put the roll pin in the correct spot on the mid shift/offset lever.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's impossible to put the roll pin in wrong. Did you put in the rail 2 alignment bolts at the top of the case? They should be put in before doing anything with the trans, to prevent the 5/6/R lever from dropping off the selector cam.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Yeah put the torx bolts/alignment pins in as soon as I slipped the case on. I just looked at the offset lever and im like you, there is no way to put the roll pin in wrong. i used a flashlight and the pins went right in the alignment slots. the 5/6 rail lever notches were on the cam. im confused.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Found the problem. I kept playing around with the pro 5.0 and the farthest it would shift was neutral. when I backed the bump stop bolts out in the pro 5.0 I could go all the way into first. It would shift into all gears great, but something just wasnt right. When it was in 4th it was only like midway in the 5.0 shifter housing. To be quick- the problem is the shifter cup. The guy I bought the trans from had the GTO shifter cup instead of the fbody. I went back and looked at some of our PMs and saw where he mentioned that. To see what Im talking about take a look at this post.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...to-f-body.html

Good for me because the trans shifts into every gear and this wont require tearing everything down again. ANYONE HAVE AN FBODY SHIFTER CUP LAYING AROUND???!!!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From the pics, it looks like you could remove the insert (cup), then cut the GTO cup locating hole off; therby shortening the piece. Afterward, drill in the F-body hole, in the proper location, & then install the insert (cup). Maybe the pics show more room than there actualy is, but, if there is room, it looks possible.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Launching!

I was thinking the same thing. Dont know if it would be worth the trouble though. I saw a part number on one of my searches. I dont know if allstate or gear box would have it. Seems to be a common issue. Im just glad I walked away from the trans for a bit, before I just got mad and took it all back apart!

Quick Reply: T56 Not shifting properly after rebuild