Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow tell me more about this "southbend"..

I never heard of all these 3 in one sentence

12k warranty, even racing it
750hp
drives BETTER than stock?

what does it cost 2,000 bucks??

sounds great..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Theres only an 8 page thread in this forum section that i started about it
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you install the spec right you wont have a problem. I install mine without a shim, and adjust my master cylinder accordingly. This is with a modified stock master cylinder, and drill mod. Shifts great at 6700 rpms, with 650hp/740tq. Spec 3+ BTW...
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

I have the monster clutch stage 3 which is rated for 700hp/tq. I love it, its very streetable I drive my car daily and have no problems at all. After about 400 miles all my chatter went away and its a little stiffer than stock. Considering that it is a puck you would think that driving it daily would be a pain but it really isn't i love it and they stand by their product 100 percent for a full year.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Launching!

M'cloud RST!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 AM
11 Second Club

Too many choices!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year my buddy had MTI install a Spec stg 3+ in his procharged Z06 and its chattered like a bitch since day one. He has prolly 1000 miles on it and it still chatters. It seems to hold well, at least on the street and dyno but.... The chatter would drive me crazy.

I will probably go McLeod twin next(RST or RXT). I have an old single disc McLeod in my car thats been in there since about 2002(maybe 15k miles) and its silky smooth engagement, never a chatter which is good for my heavy *** cam only car since I have to slide the clutch to get it moving. Holds 550rwhp. I haven't track tested it on slicks yet, only Nittos so it may let go at the first 5k dump but.... for the street, its as smooth as can be. I figure if the old school single disc is this good, then the twin disc RSTs should be awesome for holding power and smooth engagement.

I also have the Tick MC installed. I would suggest getting this for any M6 car....

Chatter sucks on a daily driven street car....

Kind of watching this Monster clutch stuff to...waiting for long term feedback... $800 ain't bad for everything including the slave, especially with a warranty.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LS1Kid
I have the monster clutch stage 3 which is rated for 700hp/tq. I love it, its very streetable I drive my car daily and have no problems at all. After about 400 miles all my chatter went away and its a little stiffer than stock. Considering that it is a puck you would think that driving it daily would be a pain but it really isn't i love it and they stand by their product 100 percent for a full year.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Kind of watching this Monster clutch stuff to...waiting for long term feedback... $800 ain't bad for everything including the slave, especially with a warranty.
Keep your eyes peeled, we should be getting a lot of feedback rolling through this forum based off of the sales on our holiday special. I'd like to take care of you, but, I want you to be comfortable with your purchase, let me know if you need anything!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Thanks man!

Keep your eyes peeled, we should be getting a lot of feedback rolling through this forum based off of the sales on our holiday special. I'd like to take care of you, but, I want you to be comfortable with your purchase, let me know if you need anything!
How are your stg 3 and 4 kits as far as chatter? A stiff pedal doesn't bother me but any chatter is unacceptable to me...also it would be nice if the clutch is "slideable" meaning I can slip it some on the street to get it to launch without blowing the tires off.... Not quite ready for a clutch yet but I am definetly shopping them so I know what I want when I need one. Thinking about yours or the McLeod RST twin.... I was thinking Textrailia but their shitty customer service rumors lost them my business.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

well next week, when I install my adjustable master, lets see if that solves my shifting issues..

But I must still think for the near future, because Im still gonna need a clutch very soon regardless.. my LS7 is almost done anyway...

Im looking into a McLeod or Textralia as my 2nd NEXT future clutch..

But for right now, Im gonna look at the Monster, Spec 3+ , Southbend and Cartek and see what is most appealing.. Still havent heard too much about Southbend or Cartek, yet....

If I decide to go with Monster I need a few questions answered...

the following weights for flywheels..

Stock LS1 FW
Aluminum LS2 FW - what I have now
Monster Billet Steel FW
Monster Chromemoly FW

The Monster Stage 3 can hold 700tq.. fine, more than I need.. excellent!.. but how bad is the chatter and how much can I slip it? ( I dont wanna slip the clutch so bad, but i dont want, an either ON or OFF only clutch either, that isnt very street friendly)... and its failrly new, but will it outlast the SPEC 3+ ??

The biggest concerns are the following:

#1) Its a DAILY DRIVER
#2 and #3) (Longevity and holding capacity): ... I DO want longevity along with holding capacity!!.. Id rather have a clutch that holds 550hp and will last me over 12,000 miles of abuse. Than one that holds 850hp, but will start dying on my after 5,000 miles of mild launches...

If all these 3 features can be combined into one clutch, Im willing to bet its pricey... and I will consider it, later on for me.. But for now, I cant afford a kit for over a grand.. So if I had to rule one of these things out, it will be, Longevity... As long as I have smooth engagement and no chatter. and it can hold some power. ILL go with it.. But if I can find one thatll last long, as well as the other features, for a good price. Im sold! But if not, then Im gonna go with the cheaper one now, and save up for the better clutch in the near future.

Last edited by LSGunZ28; 01-23-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

Also, I saw earlier in this thread, that the 3+ has a lot less issues than the 3, and Im aware of this. BUT, no one ever mentioned the 2+... how is that?

All the issues im reading with SPEC is mainly chatter and /or a short life of the clutch, but is it more or less the SPEC 3 and 3+s or all the SPECs??

edit:

The SPEC words the descriptions on their products very well, but just based on stuff Ive heard here, thats the only thing stopping me with getting a SPEC..
However, I just did a review and I got like 1 bad Spec 3+ review and that was through a PM... I saw at least 4-5 Good reviews on the SPEC 3+.. so that is becoming a possible option..

As for Monster, I was looking at their products, Stage 3, is a puck... I dont understand why a puck will hold up better than a full disc? it has less surface area of friction.. So Im not sure if I wanna go with a puck, and I looked at the stage 2.. Looks like the friction material on that is very minimal, too... and Im sure stage 1, wont take the power Im making..

So now Im unsure on monster(as I was before), but Ill let one of the sponsors chime and and reply to my questions on post # 50, before I make a decision to rule them out.....

LIST:

OEM style clutches
LS6 clutch, too weak
LS7 clutch, still too weak

Aftermarket Clutch choices:
-Cartek: tell me more
-Southbend: Tell me more
-SPEC: the 3+ is looking like the best choice as of now, and if nothing else is appealing enough, Im gonna go SPEC 3+
-Monster- waiting for a reply to post #50, seems like a good deal, especially coming w a new master cyl, etc...
- Im sure Im missing at least one more brand...

Aftermarket Higher end clutches:
-RAM: dont know much about this brand, but have never been impressed by them.. maybe i havent heard enough good things? I dont know...
-Textralia and Mcleod: Heard the best things about them for the years ive been reading these forums (despite Ive heard negatives too, but much less than the other brands) - They are Pricey and will MOST probably be ran in my car in the later future.. Until then, One of the choices above is the clutch of choice, for now..

Last edited by LSGunZ28; 01-23-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Second Club

My car has a spec3+ with a decent sized cam, I drive the car daily and it has upgraded master cylinder, its very very light pedal, doesn't have a spec of slippage.

I'd recommend it as well.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
My car has a spec3+ with a decent sized cam, I drive the car daily and it has upgraded master cylinder, its very very light pedal, doesn't have a spec of slippage.

I'd recommend it as well.
well SNLperformance chime in soon, please... about Monster clutches, (I realize all these posts were at night) ... Cuz Im almost sold on SPEC 3+
(which is quite the opposite view I had, before I made this thread)

But I still do wanna know about the SPec 2+ too, as well
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use to have a Spec 3, and went with the 3+ after it started slipping after 5k miles. Spec made up the difference for a 3+. And I found out the reason why it went so fast was that the clutch wasnt completely releasing. But so far the 3+ is ALOT better in every aspect.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

ive seen good results with the rps clutches
Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

SNL performance, can you chime in on post #50/51??
Old 01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28

If I decide to go with Monster I need a few questions answered...

the following weights for flywheels..

Stock LS1 FW
Aluminum LS2 FW - what I have now
Monster Billet Steel FW
Monster Chromemoly FW

The Monster Stage 3 can hold 700tq.. fine, more than I need.. excellent!.. but how bad is the chatter and how much can I slip it? ( I dont wanna slip the clutch so bad, but i dont want, an either ON or OFF only clutch either, that isnt very street friendly)... and its failrly new, but will it outlast the SPEC 3+ ??

The biggest concerns are the following:

#1) Its a DAILY DRIVER
#2 and #3) (Longevity and holding capacity): ... I DO want longevity along with holding capacity!!.. Id rather have a clutch that holds 550hp and will last me over 12,000 miles of abuse. Than one that holds 850hp, but will start dying on my after 5,000 miles of mild launches...

If all these 3 features can be combined into one clutch, Im willing to bet its pricey... and I will consider it, later on for me.. But for now, I cant afford a kit for over a grand.. So if I had to rule one of these things out, it will be, Longevity... As long as I have smooth engagement and no chatter. and it can hold some power. ILL go with it.. But if I can find one thatll last long, as well as the other features, for a good price. Im sold! But if not, then Im gonna go with the cheaper one now, and save up for the better clutch in the near future.
Sorry about the delay, we've been extremely busy at the shop.

Our clutches weigh within 2 lbs of the stock units, we've checked this numerous times. Our chromoly flywheel is 13 lbs lighter than our billet flywheel, so, it'll be roughly 13 lbs lighter than the stock setup.

Our Level 3's are in numerous (over 200 at this point) cars, most of which are daily drivers and we've had very little issues (nobody is perfect). Our design is not an on-off switch, the formula we use on our material allows the clutch to be slipped while taking off and still maintains the coefficient of friction required to hold the power. We've done a lot of research on this setup before going public with our designs, after the first 500 mile break in period, there shouldn't be any chatter left.

To address your biggest concerns, here's a list;

1) It's perfect for a daily driver. Our formula allows for the clutch to be forgiving and still hold the power we rate it at.

2) Longetivity - We've pulled the clutches out of our original test cars at various mileage to see how the wear was. The car with the highest mileage (a 2004 GTO @ 4100lbs, that saw the dragstrip every weekend for 9 months w/ 480rwhp that was launched on slicks at or above 5500rpms) had ~18k miles on the clutch, he still had roughly 30% left as far as disc life and the pressure plate and flywheel was still in great condition considering. Of all the others we pulled out (anywhere from 9k-12k miles) there was pleanty of life left on these units as they were not beat on as much.

3) Holding Capacity - All of our units have been tested in both a controlled environment (by a third party) and in the real world with select vehicles before being rated to what they can hold. We stand behind our clutches with a 12 month warranty because of this very reason, we know what we sell and we're very proud of it.

I will say that our clutches will chatter slightly for the first 500 miles, usually by 200 or so miles the chatter is gone, however, we recommend the break in at 500 miles just to be safe. I have no doubt that our package will work perfectly for you, I want you to be happy and comfortable with your purchase, if you don't feel 100% comfortable then by another brand, it's that easy.

As for Monster, I was looking at their products, Stage 3, is a puck... I dont understand why a puck will hold up better than a full disc? it has less surface area of friction.. So Im not sure if I wanna go with a puck, and I looked at the stage 2.. Looks like the friction material on that is very minimal, too... and Im sure stage 1, wont take the power Im making..

So now Im unsure on monster(as I was before), but Ill let one of the sponsors chime and and reply to my questions on post # 50, before I make a decision to rule them out.....
A puck design is used because it will hold more power/torque. You are not distributing the pressure exerted by the pressure plate over a large area... think of it this way; if you have an elephant standing in sand there is a tremendous amount of weight being pushed over his relatively small foot area (considering the weight), now think of an elephant laying in sand, the area that his weight is distributed is much greater, thus putting less pressure on the sand.

When you concentrate this "force" in a small puck it holds a lot more torque, not only is this a better setup it also helps the material cool and not break down. Our Level 2 is only limited by the organic facing on the flywheel side. This organic facing lacks the coefficient of friction required to "hold" anything over the 525hp mark and anything that is aggresively driven, it's material characteristics will only allow it to glaze over once it's peak abilities have been reached, then I would have a pissed off customer that has a worthless setup... that's why we try and be as blunt and descriptive as possible with our ratings.

In the end we want to get you the right clutch for your mods, if we don't do that then everyone ends up losing.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you, I'll be more than happy to go over any other questions you may have.

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks, that explains a lot...

Well Im really in debate over the Monster and Spec 3+ right now... Im unsure of what to get, Im gonna debate over this and review the pricing and customer service and based on that, Im gonna make my decision over this and next week, depending on how my adjustable master install goes...

Thanks again..
Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks, that explains a lot...

Well Im really in debate over the Monster and Spec 3+ right now... Im unsure of what to get, Im gonna debate over this and review the pricing and customer service and based on that, Im gonna make my decision over this and next week, depending on how my adjustable master install goes...

Thanks again..
No problem at all, keep me posted.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info.....Thanks SNL. I will hit you up when my old McLeod gives up the ghost....

Spec 3+ sucks for daily driving....trust me...I have two buddies with them, both installed new flywheels both still chatter like a mother well past 1000 miles. The do hold the power though.

Quick Reply: Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP