Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

aluminum flywheel????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum flywheel????

I want to know people that are running w/aluminun flywheel if you guys notice a good differnace with it? and would it help on my ET time?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I, too, thought of going that way, but I heard it's not that good for launches. However, it's good for a road course.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Its not good for launches, unless you are launching on slicks at about 5000rpm or more... at least from my experience...

On Nittos and Mickey Thompson ET streets launched at 3700 rpms, I would spin or bog..
with slicks at 5500rpm+ It would Just grab and go, because It was almost launching off redline anyway..

Its good for road race and it will free up RWHP..

When I first got them I trapped .1 slower but 1mph faster

8.07 @ 89 before, then 8.1 @ 90mph w the flywheel, this was on Nittos, and Longtube headers ORY LM1 and a lid only..
Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an aluminum flywheel.... it's ok, i mean my rpm's climb in no time... but I sometimes think a lot of the chatter and harsh engagement issues I'm having are because of this flywheel.... i know that spells out clutch... but I don't think the lighter flywheel is helping matters any...

IMO... it wouldn't bother me to go steel....
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

i agree with Soul

they are tricky to drive. gone are the days of smooth clutch engagement. sometimes makes you look like a novice

and nobody beleives you when you say its the clutch. had a girl bad mouth me once like that. so i pulled over and said..."you drive slick" she stalled it 4 times and gave up

if you can get the launch figured out, its all icing on the cake. you'll free up more power and put less strain on the driveline.

and MAN do they spin up quick...especially once you break the tires free.

its scary how quick i hit the rev limiter if the tires break loose.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't ever suggest an aluminum flywheel for any of our cars that are driven on the street. These things are too heavy and the extra rotational mass of the billet steel flywheel makes accelerating from a dead stop much easier.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

I love my aluminum flywheel, easy as hell to rev match with it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also would not recommend an Alum FW for street use. I have an LS7 clutch in my car and I have no problems rev matching at all.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

I really don't see peoples problems with aluminum, Cobras are way heavier than our cars and come with them STOCK. I have a damn 6 puck ceramic clutch, a tick master, and 100% daily drive mine to work and school. A lopey cam is also not recommended for the street, do people still do it? Yes.

Good example, my friend has a 02 ss, same mods as me, same exact weight, and hes on stock heavy *** clutch. We did a 40 roll (tires wouldn't allow us any lower), in second we both punched it, both spun just a little, but i was creeping on him, and had a good car and a half on him by 100.

Starts aren't even that bad either. You get used to how to get the car moving. The only thing I will degrade about aluminum is the starts up a hill, it ****** blows, but down here in sunny Florida we don't have any. Also the cost, but I got mine on ebay new for 250 shipped.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah i got my fidanza on ebay for $299 shipped....but that was about 4 yrs ago.

i also have a ceramic puck SPEC 4 clutch...with the solid disc...its a little touchy to get moving, and sometimes rough on the 1-2 shift when ******* it around. but if you run it hard and shift it moderatly fast it's nice.

sometimes i wonder if the light flywheel in the car makes the cam-surge more noticable. since it takes much less effort to rev up. probably wouldn't be as bad with a heavy *** fw.
but that's more tune related than clutch.
i guess i'll find out when i have it retuned in 2 weeks.

on that note...

i realize i've put several other mods in with it, but the dyno numbers i have for my car are with the stock clutch and FW. i'm gonna have it dynoed before i put the FAST on. so it will be interesting to see the power gains fromthe old dyno to the new.

some of it will be due to the flywheel...i'm thinking my torque will be higher than normal.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the info guys. so ill just get some slicks and rev. that bitch up to 5000+ and just go! lol!!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Aluminum will be great in an instance where you are overpowering the tires you currently have too. It will dampen the hit of power and as such can allow better more effecient launches in situations where you would overpower a normal street tire or even a drag radial. That being said, what are you planning to do with the car and what have you experienced thus far? This will play into what best suits your needs.

As a side note lots of folks like the Aluminum becuase it reduces unsprung weight and reduces MOI. A car with an Aluminum flywheel will be more responsive (in terms of gaining and loosing RPM) and it will also allow for more power to reach the wheels which will be most noticible in the mid to high-rpm range.

Another thing to remember is that an Aluminum flywheel will have less dampening than the stock or even an aftermarket steel unit. Thusly is can transmit a bit more vibration through the drivetrain than Steel and allow for more gear noise to be evidenced too. Neither of these things evidences an issue with the part...this is simply the nature of a lower weight assembly. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

my alum flywheel def increased the high frequency vibration in the car.

not enough to even be the slightest bit annoying though...i mean its a rough running muscle car...not a cadillac
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I loved my spec IV and aluminum flywheel. DD it in Houston and had over 35k miles on the setup. Its not for everyone, but I had no problem with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Teching In

I noticed a big difference going from fidanza light wf to the steel stock one. I would put about half a car to a car on my friends each gear and after i went back to stock were dead even.. I didnt find it hard to drive at all and was actually more fogiving at the track.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my aluminum flywheel. It took me one trip to work (17 miles) to get used to the new engagment style of the clutch. No different than when I went from stock clutch to a Mcleod with their master cylinder.

I love the way the engine now revs so much quicker, especially blipping the throttle.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone running the Fidanza with the Mcleod rst. The Fidanza is $200 less than the Mcleod.

Quick Reply: aluminum flywheel????