Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec clutch question/ break in ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spec clutch question/ break in ?'s

What do you do when you have a new engine that needs the rings seated/broke in, and have a new clutch?

I have a spec 2 and had the flywheel resurfaced, but I am worried about breaking in engine vs breaking in clutch. I will be breaking in engine with this method in the link.

My clutch is not new, but still I would think the flywheel needs to be embedded with clutch material.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

breaking in a clutch means don't rev the motor and dump the clutch in the first 500 miles.

Breaking in the motor as you desire does not call for that. acceleration and deceleration under load are the main points of the motor break in method you noted
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Breaking in a motor and a clutch at the same time would use similar measures. Just remember that we suggest 500 miles of city driving. Shifting as much as possible allows the clutch to seat better and allows you to vary the engine speed and load as is expected during engine break-in. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im hi jacking this thread, sry

I have a spec 3 clutch, im breaking mine in, i have 200miles on it. Obviously im not going WOT or beating on it at all. But taking off i think it chatters, is that when it shakes pretty bad and grabs hard very quickly? does this especially when i take off with low RPMS. Thanks, everything else seems fine, this is my first time so im sure this is expected.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Chatter is normal during break-in. When using a puck-type disc chatter will be more pronounced and thus worse than what you would normally experience with a full-faced disc. What you have described is not unusual. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Spec 3+ chattered alittle during break in but after that its been silky smooth. I've enjoyed my 3+ so much that I bought another 3+ to replace the one in the car when its finally done.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think i have 300miles on it now, it doesnt seem to chatter(hopefully by chatter that means engages hard very quickly and shakes and bogs the car, other wise im a dumdum)

Now it doesnt do that too much any more i drive like a grampa, some of my friends tell me to get on it now so it breaks in correctly and seats properly... i thought by breaking in a clutch u take it easy, now i hear to get on it alittle???

Now it sometimes very slightly engages hard and shakes, but that if i dont give enough gas. But it whines taking off in 1st while engaging, my friend says thats normal, just checking if it is. thanks.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MY clutch whines(squeals) when i take off from 1st gear from a stop driving normal trying to break it in, i dont know if this is normal or maybe because its not fully broken in yet. Anyone else's spec 3 do this?

Quick Reply: spec clutch question/ break in ?'s