Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibrations - Clutch or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vibrations - Clutch or not?

Trying to figue if my clutch is causing this...

PROBLEM - vibrations in any gear, starting around 1800 RPMS, gets worse as i go up the RPMS, but also harder to feel up there cause of the high RPM..

ALSO - can have the car in neutral, rev it, and i still have vibrations (steering wheel shakes, etc) (((which makes me think its not the clutch, but what the hell could it be?)))

no problems with shifting (i did, but bleeding took care of it)

Before i go ripping it apart,,, wanted some opinions...... pulley has also been mentioned to me,,,,

other info if needed.
2000 TA WS6 M6
clutch is a Spec 3, roughly 25000 to 30000 miles on it
other than the damn vibration, it runs great.

thanx for your help!!!

Wayne
Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be surprised if it was the clutch if it's been on the car for 25,000-30,000 miles with no previous issues unless something randomly came loose and out of balance, which would be a little strange but not impossible. Pulley was the other thing I was going to mention. Clearly something is out of balance on the front or back of the motor if it does it at a stop in neutral; otherwise I'd say to look into the whole drivetrain. Pulley is easier to get to to check out, though, if you're looking for a place to start without pulling the whole transmission.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

As mentioned, its the "in neutral, rev, steering wheelp shakes" thing that confuses me the most,,,,

Last edited by Bad Blue WS6; 06-12-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

up top for the Thursday crew.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the vibration follows vehicle speed, the problem is behind the transmission. If the vibration follows rpm (sounds like this is your problem), then the problem is in front of the trans. Could be pressure plate, flywheel, balancer, front driven accessory. If it were my car, I'd check the front of the motor first. If all checks out, time to pull the trans and inspect the clutch. That's a lot of miles for a clutch like the spec 3, I'm sure it's at or near the end of it's life.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Default Forsure !

I just had this issue changes mount chased **** . Turned out to be clutch the whole time! Put a monster in it !
Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

thanx! so you had vibro's in all gears and all that jive??? how bout the rev in neutral thing.... same theing there? I do like that the Monster clutch is doing well, but i will stick with what ive already had great luck with,, im either going to get the exact same thing (Spec3), or go with a 3+ (which i dont think Monster even offers at this time)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

If the vibration follows vehicle speed, the problem is behind the transmission. If the vibration follows rpm (sounds like this is your problem), then the problem is in front of the trans. Could be pressure plate, flywheel, balancer, front driven accessory. If it were my car, I'd check the front of the motor first. If all checks out, time to pull the trans and inspect the clutch. That's a lot of miles for a clutch like the spec 3, I'm sure it's at or near the end of it's life.
This is exactly the type of info im lookin for!!! im looking at the pulley up front first, but yeah, it is a lot of miles on my clutch. Ive put her through some hell,,,
Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Bad, you and I have talked about this already but I wanted to chime in with a few other statements/ideas. If this were a clutch related issue and something randomly decided to "come lose" two things would happen: 1) the clutch wouldn't function. 2) there would be an awful lot of noise as whatever came off bounced around inside of the bell-housing.

Remember, ballance is static unless material is added to or removed from the rotating assembly. Have you had any other work done on the car recently. Ultimately, I am happy check the assembly for balance and assess it for any issues. Just let me know and I will be happy to assist you further.

JRP, remind me of your issue if you don't mind. You seem to indicate that a clutch caused vibration but provided no other details. How long had the parts been in the car? When the kit was pulled were the components checked for balance? If so what was the finding? Let me know as I am interested in what your experience was. Thanks,
Old 06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Inspect your engine and trans mounts.

Does the vibration happen if you rev the engine at a stop with the clutch pedal pressed down?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

just a thought, but could my TO bearing taking a poop on me cause something like this (the vibration at certain rpms, any gear?)

"Have you had any other work done on the car recently"

I did install a Moser 12 bolt last year, but its been looked at so many times,, each time nothing shows up as being the culprit. I did change my U joint to the P447 required for stock DS use with the M12, nothing out of place there either. now i cant tell you if the vibs started after the M12 was installed, (ive had bad brakes and tires on it since i bought it) BUT i can tell you that the revs in neutral and shaking the steering wheel was there before the rear install. I figured the vibration was tire related and got new tires, but that wasnt it. Also had the car aligned twice, (2 different shops), that didnt help either.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

I thought I remembered something about the rear-end but wasn't sure of the details. Thanks for the reminder. I know this is frustrating. Brad may have a great point relating to the mounts. Have you checked them? As mentioned previously I am happy to check the unit out if you need me to. Just let me know. Thanks,
Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

the trans mount ive had out and looked at, it looked good. no idea on the motor mounts though,,car does only have 43000 miles on her....

the reving thing in neutral is no clutch pushed in. When i get home tonight i will see if that makes any difference and post up the findings.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Does the vibration happen if you rev the engine at a stop with the clutch pedal pressed down?
does it when pressed down OR not
Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have something similar but not to that extent. its the reverberation of my exhaust shaking things like my clutch pedal and ***. i thought it was my clutch too and got scared because it was a brand new spec stage 2.

does your clutch pedal feel like its moving up and down real fast ? and if you press it in alittle can you feel it getting weaker ? my old clutch did that and you can see in my sig what my flywheel looked like. thats what made me think my new clutch was bad but its just my exhaust. try to analyze which it may be
Old 06-12-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

dont have that feeling in the pedal, it really dosnt shake or anything..
Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Well, at this point, im still clueless to whats going on, going to have a road force test done on my tires/rims...then im done and going to live with it. I just dont believe the clutch is at fault,,, it works great to me.

Sux when your car becomes no fun anymore

Thanx everyone for the ideas and such, i do aprreciate your help

Wayne
Old 06-16-2009, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
Well, at this point, im still clueless to whats going on, going to have a road force test done on my tires/rims...then im done and going to live with it. I just dont believe the clutch is at fault,,, it works great to me.
I'm having the exact same problems. I have a centerforce with about 25,000+ miles on it. It is frustrating.

In my opinion I think you are wasting money getting the test done on your tires/rims. If its doing the vibration in neutral while sitting still it is obviously nothing to do with driveshaft, rearend, or wheels/tires.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

yeah,,,,, but im wondering if they are related or not...the car has always done the neutral shakin my wheel thing,,its not horrible floppin like, but it is there. The vibe at 1800 rpms seemed like it started after the new(used) went in,,, and after havin the rear/gears/posi, etc checked out many times, by many different shops, all concluding that the rear is fine. I do have an issue with sharp turns and noises from the rear, but believe its because i have been using synthetic vs dino type oil (Im hopin thats the case anyways, been chasing that issue forever as well)

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depress the clutch in neutral - if it still shakes the same it is likely that the problem is forward of the transmission. Balancer, weak cylinder, misfire, etc.

What balancer on there - stock?

Start by pulling the plugs, see what they look like and do a cylinder leak down.

Quick Reply: Vibrations - Clutch or not?