Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New stick, new fluid, getting better!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Vik
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stick, new fluid, getting better!

So some of you may know from the issues I was having and solved from the WS6store short shifter thread. If not, its on pages 3, 4, and 5. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...t-shifter.html

I followed the advice of changing the fluid in the clutch reservoir, which was pretty nasty. I pulled out a few big chunks of black. I have no idea what it was but they were little ***** of black gunk or something. Anyways, I removed it and changed the fluid, pumped the clutch a bunch, and repeated three times. Seems like its pretty clean in there now.

I went out for a drive and while it was only down the road and back, I didnt have any problems with getting into first or reverse. Time will tell if this really fixed the issue permanently or not.

Now I ask you, how smoothly does your car shift in and out of gear? I have a feeling that mine is still a bit rough or hard to get in so I request your opinion.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

I'm on ls1tech way too much. Mine is slightly notchy but I've learned it is the syncronizers working. Never just jam it into gear unless you're racing When just cruising, point the shifter where you want it to go and just lightly apply pressure for it to go into gear. If you're always jamming it in you're probably going to end up with a grinding issue soon.

Mine shifts great though.

Every night or morning check your fluid. If it gets dirty change it. Its that simple. You'll probably see more chunks here pretty soon since its gunked up like you said. I believe some of that stuff is clutch material that gets into the hydraulics in the bellhousing.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Vik
Staging Lane

Gotcha, I'm sure the previous owner rammed the stick into the fork pretty good a few times. I'm very careful and gentle with my baby. I have a bit of a notchy feel like you do. Its not too bad really. The short stick made it stick out a bit more then with the previous stick.

Haha, dont feel bad about surfing this forum too much. I, too, am on here a ton!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
Every night or morning check your fluid. If it gets dirty change it. Its that simple. You'll probably see more chunks here pretty soon since its gunked up like you said. I believe some of that stuff is clutch material that gets into the hydraulics in the bellhousing.
Actually most of the black you find in any hydraulic system is the breakdown of the rubber seals over time. Only when it leaks is when you should worry.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear you're making progress Vic ...

The T56 equipped cars that I have driven, never really seemed to shift smooth at all times.
I just don't see the T56 as being a butter smooth transmission ( My opinion only ).
My 1992 Toyota truck and 2004 Nissan Frontier shift butter smooth. ( Both 5 speeds).

The easier you shift the longer your T-56 will last. Just jamming it from gear to gear all the time will lead to bent shift forks, stamped shift keys breaking, accelerated syncro ring wear.

The T-56 MN12 is a slightly smoother shifting transmission and the latest TR6060 or Magnum is supposed to be even smoother.

Last edited by bearcatt; 06-19-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by halucinator
Actually most of the black you find in any hydraulic system is the breakdown of the rubber seals over time. Only when it leaks is when you should worry.
I am a very argumentive person so you're going to have to prove to me that it is the RUBBER seals breaking down.

just so you know all the seals are NOT rubber. However clutch dust like brake dust is dark in color and I say that is what's slowly being introduced to the hydraulics.

vik if you ever need a slave cylinder, holler at me because I have one for sale brand new and will sell it to you cheaper than what I paid for it.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Vik
Staging Lane

Thanks fellas. I've taken up the habit of changing the fluid every morning before I drive. I've also come to think that the shifts are due to the shorter stick. With a shorter stick, I have less torque to push and pull into each gear so I'm thinking thats what it is. I'm taking the car to Morris Motorsports sometime soon to change out the trans fluid. I'm not expecting anything to get better but I dont know when the last owner changed it so I'm just going to get it done.

Depending on if or when I need to change out my hydraulics/clutch, I'll look into contacting you for that cheaper slave!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a very argumentive person so you're going to have to prove to me that it is the RUBBER seals breaking down.

just so you know all the seals are NOT rubber. However clutch dust like brake dust is dark in color and I say that is what's slowly being introduced to the hydraulics.
Please tell me you're joking about the clutch dust getting into the hydraulics. ?

Mike
Old 06-19-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Please tell me you're joking about the clutch dust getting into the hydraulics. ?

Mike
IT IS NOT A JOKE(in borat accent)

"I particularly want to thank George Westby, Director of the Advanced Process Laboratory of Unovis Solutions, and his lead engineer, Martin Anselm. They collaborated in the analysis of clutch fluid and clutch dust samples, which I sent them from 2006 Z06s.

Click this link to open a copy of the Unovis Lab Report.

That report forms an important basis for concluding that clutch dust is infusing the clutch fluid of aggressively driven cars. And it is clutch dust that, if allowed to accumulate, constitutes an abrasive that damages integrity of seals in the hydraulics."

^ Can be found at http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

pow right in the kissa, that's my peter griffin impersonation
Old 06-19-2009, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

That's an interesting read. I guess if the system is under vacuum, like when the pedal is first released, it could allow particals inside without leaking. I thought the slave had a better seal than that.

And you can do without the impersonations, they're really not that good. Somebody had to tell ya.... lol..

Mike
Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

lol learned something new huh?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice article there 7camaro7, ... For our Canadian friend Mikey 97Z M6 it's not huh? ... it ehh?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Nice article there 7camaro7, ... For our Canadian friend Mikey 97Z M6 it's not huh? ... it ehh?

Why would you say that? And I live in Washington state, that would be in the United States,,,,,, EH? Or should I say DUH!

Mike
Old 06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bearcatt

In washington state they only get rubber in their hydraulics the rest of us get clutch dust lol
Old 06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

In washington state they only get rubber in their hydraulics the rest of us get clutch dust lol
I never said anything about rubber in the fluid, but you ASSumed that.

Mike
Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

I did read the article, but just because something is posted on the internet does NOT make it a golden rule. I'm not saying the article is not valid, I'm just saying I have my doubts about the validity of what was stated. If what was stated in the article is true, then GM could have some class action law suits stacking up on pre-mature slave cylinder wear.

Mike
Old 06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Why would you say that? And I live in Washington state, that would be in the United States,,,,,, EH? Or should I say DUH!

Mike
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzeee me.

Geeze touchy touchy, I thought you were in Vancouver Canada.
I read your location wrong.