Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broke my T56!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Broke my T56!

Yesterday I lost 5th and 6th. I was doing 80, had to slow down for interstate traffic, downshifted to 5th. It was in gear for a few seconds and then there was a sound and the motor revved up. I stuck it in 4th. I could proceed on, 3500rpms and a single 4" exhaust for the last 6 hours of my drive.

What did I break and why? I really don't know what to do at this point. I'm pretty bad off financially at the moment. Whats the chance of other gears going out?

Is it very difficult to rebuild a T56? I've never had a trans. apart.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Yesterday I lost 5th and 6th. I was doing 80, had to slow down for interstate traffic, downshifted to 5th. It was in gear for a few seconds and then there was a sound and the motor revved up. I stuck it in 4th. I could proceed on, 3500rpms and a single 4" exhaust for the last 6 hours of my drive.

What did I break and why? I really don't know what to do at this point. I'm pretty bad off financially at the moment. Whats the chance of other gears going out?

Is it very difficult to rebuild a T56? I've never had a trans. apart.

So, you are saying that, IN gear (5th and 6th) it just makes a sound? but it WILL go into gear, and not just locked out of gear? If you can get it into gear, but does nothing, gear/teeth probaly stripped, but you might have also broke the counter shaft 5/6 teeth(or both).
If you have to ask if it is difficult to rebuild, then I would say yes. But, it can be done if you have a real good understanding of how the tranny works and mechanical know how, along with some special tools (like on 5th/6th).

I would say you have a good chance at breaking other stuff if you keep driving (even though 5/6 and reverse are in their own case)...debris can fling aorund in there, get wedged up against mainshaft, seize it up, etc...just basically you have debris floating around (fluid carrying alot of teh contaminents around to other gears/bearings)
Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm shoot. I did make it home at least, I drove it for another 6 hours and it does go in reverse. It let go in SC and I was headed to FL.

Yeah it can go into gear, but only makes noise. What is the usual cost for just a basic rebuild? I had 180k on it, is this when issues finally show their face?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

You probably tore up the 5&6 gear shift fork and the fork pads.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Tick Performance Corey is the way to go. Get the Stage 2 kit and is somewhat easy to rebuild one. I would just send it to them so it is built right and is out pretty fast.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Common problem with LT1 units. You've sheared the splines off of the 5/6 cluster and mainshaft.. It's a $400 parts + labor repair, assuming nothing else needs replaced.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm shoot. I did make it home at least, I drove it for another 6 hours and it does go in reverse. It let go in SC and I was headed to FL.

Yeah it can go into gear, but only makes noise. What is the usual cost for just a basic rebuild? I had 180k on it, is this when issues finally show their face?

180K isn't a bad run. If $$ is the issue, as stated, then you can always trade her in as a core for a re-built T56. Just stay away from yahoos. Find a reputable builder w/ a proven track record to buy from. Contact one of many Forum Sponsors. They may even agree to set you up on a payment plan, if that helps. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Well another thing and perhaps I should address this now, I plan on hitting this car with a 150 shot. It makes 353rwhp/351 torque now, so I guess maybe while its out I better upgrade a little bit. What all should be done so it will survive 500+ rwhp/torque?

Thanks Sean, Tick is pretty well known on here, I'll look into them.

Yeah I'm not going to lie, I've been pretty harsh to this car in the 75k miles I've owned it, I guess that's why I was really surprised it went while just cruising on the interstate.
Thanks everybody! Which sponsors do rebuilds?

I just looked at Tick's page and the level two looks like the way to go, price isn't bad at all. I guess a question there is will the parts in the rebuild repair my issue, or will it be extra parts cost? I guess I will call them this afternoon.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Common problem with LT1 units. You've sheared the splines off of the 5/6 cluster and mainshaft.. It's a $400 parts + labor repair, assuming nothing else needs replaced.
He would have lost reverse if the lugs were sheared off on the back of the cluster gear. He could have stripped the spines on the mainshaft though and this would cause you to lose 5th and 6th gear.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesource
He would have lost reverse if the lugs were sheared off on the back of the cluster gear. He could have stripped the spines on the mainshaft though and this would cause you to lose 5th and 6th gear.
The 5/6 cluster gear on the mainshaft (not the extension shaft if thats what you mean). When the splines shear, it rounds them off of both the mainshaft and the cluster gear. Rev is still independent of 5/6 on the LT1/LS1 units once the cluster is free spinning on the mainshaft. I've seen over a half-dozen LT1 units shear in this way. Either because of looser tolerances of the splines, or because they tend to be higher milage because of age.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The countershaft extension that goes into the cluster gear ?

Page 39.
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ice_Manual.pdf

Hopefully nothing happened to the cluster gear assembly were the counter shaft extension fits into it. That gets pricey. If it's just the countershaft extension, those are only $100.

camar0corey not trying to predict doomsday, maybe it's just a key or shiftfork.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bearcatt
The countershaft extension that goes into the cluster gear ?
You lose Reverse also when the extension shaft shears. He's only lost 5/6, with is 99% directed at the 5/6 cluster spinning on the mainshaft.. Need a new mainshaft (complete teardown) and new 5/6 cluster parts + labor + wear items.

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 07-17-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

I . I guess a question there is will the parts in the rebuild repair my issue, or will it be extra parts cost? I guess I will call them this afternoon.

Typically a rebuild consists of syncho's, fork pads, blocking rings, etc...normal wear and tear type stuff. What you broke (more than likely anyways) is gonna ADD to teh cost of a rebuild because of parts (as it is NOT included in a typical rebuild) so you can add a a few hundred on top of a rebuild, OR...if really strapped for cash, DON'T have it rebuilt, and just have what is broken replaced. Most shops WON'T warranty anything like that, knowing that is has "X" miles on it and such, so keep that in mind as well.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1-450
180K isn't a bad run. If $$ is the issue, as stated, then you can always trade her in as a core for a re-built T56. Just stay away from yahoos. Find a reputable builder w/ a proven track record to buy from. Contact one of many Forum Sponsors. They may even agree to set you up on a payment plan, if that helps. Good luck!

Dude, I LOVE your sig!!! That knockout WAS freakn AWESOME!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Thanks

Yah, glad to see Dan put a good Ole' US of A beat down on that loudmouth.

OP, please excuse the off topic post. Hope all works out w/ the T56.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

You lose Reverse also when the extension shaft shears. He's only lost 5/6, with is 99% directed at the 5/6 cluster spinning on the mainshaft.. Need a new mainshaft (complete teardown) and new 5/6 cluster parts + labor + wear items.

Ouch that's intense.

Thanks for posting those pictures. I find those very educational.

The main shaft should be about $200.

Any possibility that the top of the counter-shaft cluster might be damaged ?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

The 5/6 cluster gear on the mainshaft (not the extension shaft if thats what you mean). When the splines shear, it rounds them off of both the mainshaft and the cluster gear. Rev is still independent of 5/6 on the LT1/LS1 units once the cluster is free spinning on the mainshaft. I've seen over a half-dozen LT1 units shear in this way. Either because of looser tolerances of the splines, or because they tend to be higher milage because of age.
I gotcha. I misread your first post. I agree it could very well be the mainshaft and 5-6 cluster gear stripped out. Its pretty common in high milage T56s like the OP's.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Any possibility that the top of the counter-shaft cluster might be damaged ?
Doubtful. As long as Reverse works, the countershaft+extension interface would be intact. I have seen single teeth break in this area, but you don't have any problems until they all completely shear and then you lose 5/6/R.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doubtful. As long as Reverse works, the countershaft+extension interface would be intact. I have seen single teeth break in this area, but you don't have any problems until they all completely shear and then you lose 5/6/R.

That's good then, otherwise it becomes an expensive proposition.

Quick Reply: Broke my T56!